New iPhone with bigger display predicted to be a major success in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

It seems a lot of people never read the story of Goldilocks and the three bears as a child. Whenever a story about a larger iPhone pops up you always have someone saying just use an iPad as a larger iPhone.  There is a massive vacuum between a small 4" screen and a too large iPad Mini. If Apple decides to make a 4", 5" and a 6" version that is fine by me. Personally I would choose the 5" model which allows portability and a large enough screen size to be comfortable to use. 

• Reply 22 of 57
    patpatpat wrote: »
    For asian "kanji" based character sets, a larger screen makes blocks of text much much easier to read.

Kanji refers specifically to Japanese. Mandarin Chinese characters are called hànzì.
  • Reply 23 of 57

Not too long ago I switched from an iPhone 5 to give a Windows Nokia 920 a try. The 4.5" screen makes a world of difference for me - I find it easier to browse, read news, etc. directly on my phone rather than reaching for my iPad or a computer. 

I don't think I would want to go any bigger than that with a phone though.

To be honest - I think at this point it would take a lot to get me to switch back to iPhone now that I have been using Windows Phone 8. About the only thing I miss is Siri - and a couple of apps that are not available (although nothing that I really care that much about). A larger screen would be one thing that might sway me to reconsider.  

• Reply 24 of 57
    I like the size just the way it is. Any wider or taller, and it'll just be unmanageable. If you want a bigger screen for media consumption get an iPad mini. If you need a bigger screen on a phone, get a phablet, you almost deserve it.

Subjective opinion. As I mentioned above, this Moto X is 4.7 but due to the bezel size, it's barely larger than the iPhone 5. One handed use is easy. Add gesture typing and it'even easier.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

I like the size just the way it is. Any wider or taller, and it'll just be unmanageable. If you want a bigger screen for media consumption get an iPad mini. If you need a bigger screen on a phone, get a phablet, you almost deserve it.

All you are saying is that I like what I have now so screw everyone else for not liking what I like. When Apple releases a larger iPhone they will continue to make a 4" version so you will not be effected in the least. Why do people like you get so upset at the thought that Apple might offer others a choice? 

As far as your stupid suggestion of using an iPad mini, I have an iPad which I use at home. I hardly use my iPhone at home in fact. We are talking about when you leave the house. I cannot carry a Mini in my pant pockets. Furthermore what happens when you want to make a phone call? Let's not forget that data plans for the Mini are outrageously expensive compared to a typical smartphone plan. I currently pay $50 for unlimited talk/text/data on Sprint with my iPhone 5 but nothing comes close to that for data only plans. The iPad Mini is not even close to being an option. Wanting a larger phone does not mean wanting a iPad Mini. 

• Reply 26 of 57
    Thank the FSM these analysts don't run Apple. The company would've tanked a year after its founding.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    gwmac wrote: »
    All you are saying is that I like what I have now so screw everyone else for not liking what I like. When Apple releases a larger iPhone they will continue to make a 4" version so you will not be effected in the least. Why do people like you get so upset at the thought that Apple might offer others a choice? 

As far as your stupid suggestion of using an iPad mini, I have an iPad which I use at home. I hardly use my iPhone at home in fact. We are talking about when you leave the house. I cannot carry a Mini in my pant pockets. Furthermore what happens when you want to make a phone call? Let's not forget that data plans for the Mini are outrageously expensive compared to a typical smartphone plan. I currently pay $50 for unlimited talk/text/data on Sprint with my iPhone 5 but nothing comes close to that for data only plans. The iPad Mini is not even close to being an option. Wanting a larger phone does not mean wanting a iPad Mini. 

You're going to need bigger pants.
  • Reply 28 of 57

Most people in foreign countries (and a growing number in the U.S.) want a bigger screen. Don't know about 6", but at least 5 inches. Even I who likes my ip5 a lot would enjoy a nice 5" or 5.5" phone, 6" might be too much for me, but I'm sure many would welcome it. To me they need a mix or smaller and bigger phones sizes, because you can't lump all people into one size category, we all have different likes & needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I wonder what the average selling price of these larger screened phones is in China. Are they buying high priced models or lower-cost Chinese models?

Only one person, but a friend of mine in South China has the Samsung Note (or whichever is the big phablet one with the pen). In my travels to China, it seems to me most people with a descent or good job are buying iPhone and good Android phones, not cheap low-cost brands.

• Reply 29 of 57
    You're going to need bigger pants.

Stop. Hammertime.
  • Reply 30 of 57

COMPLETELY WORTHLESS IDIOTS. Analysts need to be disbanded. All of them fired or retooled to a job that doesn't involve LYING about companies for the sole purpose of destroying value.

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Steve Jobs said there would come a time when the tablet would have phone capability.

Yeah? When.

It's a necessary ability.

Obviously not. How many iPads have been sold and none can do this.

• Reply 31 of 57
    I thought that the consensus on AI was that large screens were lame. Or did we have to understand "large Android screens"?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Kanji refers specifically to Japanese. Mandarin Chinese characters are called hànzì.

Hence the "quotes". The characters are the same in either case ??. Pronounced kanji in japan, hanzi in china.

• Reply 33 of 57
    huffcw wrote: »
    Not too long ago I switched from an iPhone 5 to give a Windows Nokia 920 a try. The 4.5" screen makes a world of difference for me - I find it easier to browse, read news, etc. directly on my phone rather than reaching for my iPad or a computer. 

I don't think I would want to go any bigger than that with a phone though.

To be honest - I think at this point it would take a lot to get me to switch back to iPhone now that I have been using Windows Phone 8. About the only thing I miss is Siri - and a couple of apps that are not available (although nothing that I really care that much about). A larger screen would be one thing that might sway me to reconsider.  

Your gonna miss out on the upcoming goodies like iOS 7, biometric scanners too :)
  • Reply 34 of 57
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

A larger-screened iPhone seems inevitable to me. I'm a bit surprised that it is taking as long as it is.

I agree, but I also think that Apple believes the width of the current iPhone is at its max for ergonomic and esthetic reasons - at least for the design of their flagship phone. With the supposed release of the plastic backed iPhone, Apple would have a separate model and class of iPhone that they could experiment with. Furthermore, manufacturing costs would be much less for this new plastic iPhone allowing them greater flexibility. I think the complexity of assembling previous iPhones is too cost prohibitive, which is why they've stuck to one model per year; the longer you run the same lines, the less expensive it is to make them.

So, I do believe we will eventually see a larger "5C" model (along with a larger iPod touch).

• Reply 35 of 57
    A lot of Chinese and Japanese consumers draw characters on their screens rather than typing. That kind of interaction is just easier with larger touch screens. It is also true that reading the more complex Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters is easier on larger screens. The cutoff where this works well is probably around 5 inches, but width matters, too, so a tall but still skinny 5 inch screen might still not work so well. There are also tricks to making sure it is easy to hold with one hand while drawing with a finger from the other hand.

For the Europe and Americas market, a 4.8" phone makes a lot of sense if only just to pack more information or to make easier to read text. The aspect ratio of an iPhone 5 should work pretty well in those markets, since most thumbs could then still more-or-less reach across while holding it for one handed use. Anything past that, and one handed use becomes annoying. Chinese and Japanese screen interaction is two-handed no matter what the size, so the issues just aren't the same.

The Chinese, specifically, also do have a weird sense of style that demands obvious displays of wealth and/or your choices of clique. Size matters for that level of obviousness. Who knows how long that one will last. Presumably it is a response to sudden wealth after decades of relative poverty, but it doesn't seem to be subsiding, so maybe it is more deeply cultural than that.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    sipsip Posts: 210member

I've got fairly large hands and like the size of my iPhone 4S and my nephew's iPhone 5. I have Chinese friends and most have small hands, and they don't handle the large-screen Samsungs very well so how will they manage a 6"-screened iPhone?

• Reply 37 of 57
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I wonder what the average selling price of these larger screened phones is in China. Are they buying high priced models or lower-cost Chinese models?

I can't say price, but I can tell you when i'm in Beijing (which is about 4-5 months of the year for the last 3 years) I have seen a pretty sharp decline in iPhones over the past year.  They aren't impressed with the iPhone 5 and are going to bigger screens very rapidly.  When I take the Subways, I see lots of older iPhones and a lot of new big-screen phones.  Mainly Samsungs (Galaxy S4 or similar, and Notes).  I also see a lot of Sony phones and Nokia Lumias.  Also there's a lot of Chinese models like Huawei as well.

The Chinese Market is such that for most people, the Smartphone is their only computing device.  Many don't have home computers, so the phone is the only way to get online or do anything other than an office Job.  It makes a lot of sense to have a 5" or 6" smartphone to them when it's their only device.

As a side note:

I've said it before but this post seems to make the most sense.  I carry 5 devices with me when I travel there (not including my P&S Camera): MBP, iPhone on US contract, iPhone on Chinese pay-as-you-go, My ipod Classic and My iPad2.  For me, this next iPhone announcement is critical, it will determine how many devices I carry on my next trip in October.  If they do just two rumored phones, it will be a tough choice, and if they do a 128gb model, even tougher.  Should they release a 128GB iPhone5S, I might have to balk based on un-locked price.  Just would be too expensive.  I might have to hold out for a 5" iPhone or bigger.  Ideally, if they came out with a 128GB iPhone that's greater than 5" screen, I could reduce my device count to 2 devices.  If not, I have to hang onto my Classic and my iPad.  The only reason to carry my iPod Classic at this point is to have all my music.  having to even think about playlists, or allowing iTunes to make one for me is pointless because there will always be that one album or handful of songs I'm missing.  So for my purposes, the current rumored devices really doesn't fit my need either, like most of the Chinese.

• Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pjgchicago View Post

It's about time Apple plays catch up. Many consumers prefer a larger screen and Apple needs to change their mindset and stop using "trade offs" as a foolish excuse. These are more video consuming devices vs. phones so let's go.

That's funny, in the nearly 6 years i've been an iPhone owner, I can't think of a single time ive watched a TV show or movie.  Maybe a YouTube video but I can't remember when that was, probably sometime before Apple ditched the standard App.  However, I will say, in China, they do watch a LOT of TV and video on their phones.

• Reply 39 of 57

What I don't understand about Apple?  Why they haven't tested this on another device yet?  I mean, it's staring you right in the face and they don't even regard it.  The iPod Touch?  For how long have we all heard that the touch is the #1 handheld gaming device?  To me, that would be the perfect test bed for a 5"-6" screen.  I know there are issues with pixels per inch.  but at this piont, we've all seen the calculations about how to do it.  Take the Retina iPad and cut the panel down to the same resolution as the iPhone 5...bam!  4.95" iPod touch.  Sure the pixel density is slightly higher, but it's still better than the iPad Mini and a bigger device so you won't need to hold it so close to your face.  I am 99.9% certain that if they did this with the Touch, and added LTE as an option, that would be a runaway hit.  Kids would love it!  Videophiles would by them in batches for every room of the house....serious.  Simple solution.  Then, in a year or two, merge the iPhone and iPod Touch line into a single line of devices.  Jobs would've loved the consolidations as well!

• Reply 40 of 57
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Just get an LTE iPad mini. Cheaper service and a really big screen...