First customers already in line for new iPhones Apple has yet to announce

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    People are really impressively idiotic. I'm unemployed and I still have better things to do with my life. In shelter. Hygienically. Healthfully.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I wonder what makes you conclude that they are on benefits?

… How is this even a question?

• Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… How is this even a question?

You seem to be suggesting that the two gentlemen at the front of the queue are living on state hand-outs.

I was asking why you had jumped to that conclusion?

• Reply 44 of 55
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

You seem to be suggesting that the two gentlemen at the front of the queue are living on state hand-outs.

That everyone in said queue could be. Don't put words in my mouth.

They're in the queue. For days. Before we even know such a device exists. Sitting there, doing nothing. On weekdays. 

Yeah, they could all happen to have their job's personal days saved up, but… 

• Reply 45 of 55

At such events, how do you know where to start queuing? Do you have to go into the store and ask where to pitch your chair?

• Reply 46 of 55

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

At such events, how do you know where to start queuing? Do you have to go into the store and ask where to pitch your chair?

I've done this once or twice, and that's just about it, yeah. They'll either have something designated already or you can just ask.

• Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No way is it coming out on announcement day.

Why can't I hope that I can grab one before my flight : ) 

• Reply 48 of 55
    Dumbasses
  • Reply 49 of 55
    I was *just* at the 5th Ave store in NYC... no one is in line outside. It's a 24hr 7 day-a-week store and no queue or people (or remnants of people like chairs, coolers etc) are there.

This is the store at 8:50pm Sunday September 8th:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31030/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 50 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    corradokid wrote: »
    I was *just* at the 5th Ave store in NYC... no one is in line outside. It's a 24hr 7 day-a-week store and no queue or people (or remnants of people like chairs, coolers etc) are there.

This is the store at 8:50pm Sunday September 8th:

They were probably told to amscray.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,340moderator
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    corradokid wrote: »

This is the store at 8:50pm Sunday September 8t

They were probably told to amscray.

If you were doing it to promote whatever website is printed on t-shirts or whatever, would you rather camp out for 3 days or let blogs think you were camping out for 3 days, give you all the publicity you needed and then go home to a nice warm bed?

Also, if there's nobody else queuing, what's the point? If they are genuinely in it to get iPhones first, they'll probably scope out the crowd each day and when it starts to build, set themselves up for the night.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Anyway, 4.2 and 4.3 are still jelly bean, and they bring nothing new. It isn't worth the effort. Looks like Google stopped focussing on new things since 4.0, and started cleaning the house and waiting for the masses to catch up.

True but that is not entirely accurate. Google has been moving functionality into the Google Play Services which is upgraded via the Google Play Store and *not* the cell carrier. This allows them to introduce certain updates directly to the user effectively bypassing the heel dragging of the manufacturers and cell phone companies.

• Reply 53 of 55
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CrustyMcLovin View Post

True but that is not entirely accurate. Google has been moving functionality into the Google Play Services which is upgraded via the Google Play Store and *not* the cell carrier. This allows them to introduce certain updates directly to the user effectively bypassing the heel dragging of the manufacturers and cell phone companies.

So why is my S4 still on 4.2.2?

I'll bet my iPhone 5 gets an update to iOS 7 before my S4 gets updated to the latest version of Android.

• Reply 54 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »

I'll bet my iPhone 5 gets an update to iOS 7 before my S4 gets updated to the latest version of Android.

Because Samsung hasn't made 4.3 available yet but you have any updated features of Google's core apps.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Your S4 is still on 4.2.2 yet chances are that the Google Play Services has already been updated on your phone. This allows Google to update some aspects of the operating system without interference from the device manufacturer or the cell carrier. The version number will remain the same but things are still changing under the hood. There is a simple test to see if your device has already been updated, just see if the new Android Device Manager works. The URL is https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager