The NEXT iPhone - a checklist to be mocked and ridiculed by you

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Since the competition always seem to tick off checklists, I thought it might be fun to do the same for a new iPhone. Be it the next model, or the one after that, what could they add, change, renew, come up with? Fire away at my completely dreamed up, mainly HW, list, whether feasible or not. Whether making sense or downright stupid.

[U]Properties:[/U]

[LIST=1]
[*] 128GB
[*] .11ac
[*] thinner
[*] IP58 (dust & water resistant)
[*] charges itself by getting energy from movement or solar-power (still requires battery of course)
[*] pico projector
[*] keyboard projector, using iPhone as full fledged OSX Mac
[*] no SIM; all software based
[*]
[/LIST]

[U]Video:[/U]

[LIST=1]
[*] 4k video recording
[*] H.265
[*] optical zoom
[*] 120fps@1080p
[*]
[/LIST]

[U]Audio:[/U]

[LIST=1]
[*] stereo speakers
[*] front facing speaker; the entire display resonates, or some high tech invention
[*] stereo mic
[*] smaller headphone jack
[*]
[/LIST]

[U]Metering/sensors:[/U]

[LIST=1]
[*] barometer
[*] temperature meter
[*] distance meter
[*] magento meter
[*] Glonass
[*] smoke detector
[*] ANT+
[*]
[/LIST]

edit: added ANT+

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Where's the 43 MP camera, face recognition for unlocking (but by reading the shape and direction of the cells of skin to stop paper pictures of the person from working with it), and waterproofing?

• Reply 2 of 10
    Where's the 43 MP camera, face recognition for unlocking (but by reading the shape and direction of the cells of skin to stop paper pictures of the person from working with it), and waterproofing?

Here I am, trying to come up with a list with at least some usefulness added without any Android AssHat Hyperbole or Nokia Nonsense, and along come you!

...all the while you just made a good one in this thread:

"You're thinking of the one where the camera is inside the screen so you're looking directly at the person with whom you're videoconferencing."
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

1. barometer

1. optical zoom

Apple would be hardly be first.

A phone with a barometer was done back in 2008 by a Chinese company.

A few phones with optical zooms were done back then too by the Chinese.

Actually, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom has one too, and it's $100 cheaper than the iPhone 5C:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-is-the-first-smart-phone-with-optical-zoom/index.htm

• Reply 4 of 10
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Here I am, trying to come up with a list with at least some usefulness added without any Android AssHat Hyperbole or Nokia Nonsense, and along come you!

What can I say… 

No, really.

Originally Posted by narnio View Post

A phone with a barometer was done back in 2008 by a Chinese company.

I am without speech.

• Reply 5 of 10
    narnio wrote: »
    1. barometer
    1. optical zoom

Apple would be hardly be first.

With Copy/Paste being the MO of many tech companies, I'll just use the one right below you:

"What can I say…

No, really."
  • Reply 6 of 10
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    wtf - no IGZO on your list ?

:-)
  • Reply 7 of 10

How about they don't make it a rectangle and so it fits in your hand better.

• Reply 8 of 10
    robm wrote: »
    wtf - no IGZO on your list ?

:-)

LOL. Yes, that is what others focus on. As I understand it; they are nowhere near a 300+ ppi, and if true, Apple wouldn't want to 'degrade' the retina experience.
  • Reply 9 of 10

Why a barometer?

Why a thermometer (do you really need to know the temperature inside your pocket? ... or how hot the phone is running, as the sensor will be skewed by the phone itself acting as a heat-sink for it's own operation.)

4K camera ? ... really?... you need 4K youtube videos???

smoke detector?!?! ... WTH  for???  I don't think I've ever been in a hotel or commercial building (and most non-commercial) that don't already have a detection/suppression system in place.

and DON'T loose the sim, PLEASE!... some of us travel and it's nice to be able to just slide in a different sim and have the same phone work on local rates in other parts of the world.

Stereo speakers on a device the size of an iPhone?... would anyone even be able to hear stereo from that? the two speakers couldn't possibly be more than 4 inches apart anyway.

Most of section 1 is probably coming... I'm not making fun of your list, it's good to dream, but most of it just seems really impractical.

• Reply 10 of 10
    ^post

Sorry for not being clear: this isn't a list of thing I personally would like to see, though there are some things I'd like, bur it's rather a speclist that I'm sure the competition has thought about. Otherwise there wouldn't be a barometer or thermometer om some phones.
    Why a barometer?

Because the some competitors have that, like Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Why a thermometer (do you really need to know the temperature inside your pocket? ... or how hot the phone is running, as the sensor will be skewed by the phone itself acting as a heat-sink for it's own operation.)

The phone could be mounted on your road bike.
    4K camera ? ... really?... you need 4K youtube videos???

Possibly, when you can shoot that and then AirPlay it to the big screen in the living. Samsung has 2160p@30fps right now; this will simply evolve, whether it makes sense or not.
    smoke detector?!?! ... WTH  for???  I don't think I've ever been in a hotel or commercial building (and most non-commercial) that don't already have a detection/suppression system in place.

Again, not my wish, but I'm sure crap companies think about including one. I don't make this up
    and DON'T loose the sim, PLEASE!... some of us travel and it's nice to be able to just slide in a different sim and have the same phone work on local rates in other parts of the world.

The SIM has got to go. Like ODD, this can all be done in software. I live in Europe, and swapping SIM's is a hassle; there's no reason why men should be tortured like this. And think of the possibilities: dual SIM? How about unlimited?
    Stereo speakers on a device the size of an iPhone?... would anyone even be able to hear stereo from that? the two speakers couldn't possibly be more than 4 inches apart anyway.

This I will most certainly be able to distinguish. I'm sure anyone would be able to. And if not stereo, improve on what we have now; cause it's pretty crappy.
    Most of section 1 is probably coming... I'm not making fun of your list, it's good to dream, but most of it just seems really impractical.

Not offended or anything; it was meant to be a weekend-fun post, in case there wouldn't be anything interesting to read or comment on. Though DED gave us something to read.