Non iPod MP3 player

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just got a 10GB iPod and LOVE it. My wife is now hooked as well, but she only needs one for when she works out. I'm looking for a very small capacity MP3 player that will connect to the Mac for transfers. Looking for under $100 any ideas?

- Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by nibeck:

<strong>I'm looking for a very small capacity MP3 player that will connect to the Mac for transfers. Looking for under $100 any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know, a small capacity non-iPod player may be something that will fit my budget better than a $500 10GB iPod. I haven't ripped a whole lot of my CD collection to MP3 and the new car I bought last night came with an in-dash 6 CD changer. So for now, I'm likely to use MP3 on an as-needed basis only. A tiny 128MB $100 MP3 player would be perfect. The media doesn't even need to be removable.

Anybody have suggestions for nibeck and myself?

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    The basic SONICblue Rio 600 seems nice. It only has 32MB of storage, but you can get additional "backpacks" if you need more. It's a nice looking player, and very compact.

Amazon has it for $93.97.

Interesting to see that <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/browse-communities/-/210259/ce/102-1691411-8386504"; target="_blank">Apple employees</a> are buying alternatives to the iPod too...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Don't buy the Rio 600!!! You will be forced to buy expansion packs instead of cheap Smart Media cards.

Here is the way to go.

Buy a Rio 500 on Ebay or if you can find them from places like newegg etc. A Rio 500 comes with 64 MB built in and accepts ordinary smart media cards. At first it would only accept 32 MB media cards, then it got a firware upgrade to 64MB, and then 96 MB, now there is a new firmware upgrade (a hacked one) that supporet s 128 MB cards.

So for $60-70 you can buy a Rio 500 and then for $45 more you can get a 128 MB SMC and have 196 MB of MP3 storage.

AND it's solid state! I ride my mountain bike 80 mile a week with this thing.

Good Luck.

MSKR<a href="http://stores.hsprofessional.com/returnbuy/Search.bok?keyword=mp3"; target="_blank">$59.99 here</a>

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>