Apple TV software returns one day after being pulled

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48

• Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

if your Apple TV is 'bricked', see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367

Um, that's the first place that any reasonable person would go to. Then the Apple discussion forums. Then other places on the web. Then discussions about DFU. Then try everything every which way. Then Apple Support.

Sheesh, I am beginning to realize what some folks here mean when they complain about the arrogant twits on this forum. I can empathize.

• Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey tech genius, what do you think I was talking about?

You know, you have a severe attitude problem. Your friends must love hanging out with you.

• Reply 24 of 48
    pmz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:  It's called, Get a micro-USB cable. Your own damn fault for not taking the most basic troubleshooting steps and instead going to a "repair center" that was anything but an Apple Store.

I for one can vouch that anantksundaram did everything that could be possibly done to recover his ATV with no success. It's also a shame that he was charged a $90 fee to repair something made unusable by a software update.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Why the heck would you pay him??

I am not the type to get into fights in stores. I can always call Amex and put it into dispute. 

Also, it's for Apple to fix, and based on my call to them, they agree. 

• Reply 26 of 48
    I installed the original v6.0 on my ATV2 over the w/e with no issues (aside from the unusually long installation process, I guess it's a major update).

I just checked again and sure enough it had a new update for the new version of 6.0 to install. That also installed with no issues, I presume the build number has changed but I forgot to record the previous one so I can't verify that. Second v6.0 update was also much faster download and install, it's only a minor adjustment to previous update apparently.
  • Reply 27 of 48

John B., It's still 6.0.

• Reply 28 of 48
    My saga with this continues. I called Apple Support to say my Gen 3 AppleTV was bricked, and I was taken through all the diagnostics. When nothing worked, they told me to take it to a local reseller/repairer to get somehow get it "physically restored".

I did, assuming it would be all taken care of. The repairer called today and said it was ready to pick up. When I got there, I was presented a bill for $90! (They did not even bother to call to give me an estimate -- if they had, I would have told them to throw it away and bought a new one instead). For a &##^% product that costs $99!!

Of course I paid.

I was livid. Called Apple when I got home, and complained about the unethical reseller/repairer. It got escalated two levels, and the customer relations person that it went to sounded genuinely apologetic (for the record, I've had nothing but the most amazing customer service experience with Apple in the past). He has promised to call them day after tomorrow to ask them to refund the charges.

Let's see what happens.

I have to thank you cause I saw the mess you ran into and instead of doing the over-the-air version, I went straight to the plug into iTunes and did the restore. A few of my AppleTVs were running dev beta already and couldn't be upgraded except by the Restore method.

Apple really screwed the pooch on this one. Hope you get a satisfactory resolution.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    ericbolt wrote: »
    I don't think the term bricked is being used correctly on many of the forums. If it is bricked, it no longer works and it can't be reset. With the 6.0 issue, users have simply unplugged it and plugged it back in and it boots back up.

Not always. This happened to ours in the trailer. A reboot wasn't enough. I had to restore it and set it back again, which was a tad annoying.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    pmz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:  It's called, Get a micro-USB cable. Your own damn fault for not taking the most basic troubleshooting steps and instead going to a "repair center" that was anything but an Apple Store.

That's hardly fair.if the shop is authorized by Apple then they should be following the same protocols which means no charges for any warranty repairs.

If this shop was authorized and the unit under warranty then they will not be for long as this sort of game is the kind of thing to get yourself pulled.

The cx is not expected to know things like get a micro USB and fix it yourself. And he did call Apple so it's rude to presume the most basic steps were not done.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    My installation got corrupted. I wouldn't call it specifically 'bricked' because I was able to restore the Apple TV by plugging it into my Macbook using a micro USB cable. The only hassle for me was I had to wait the next morning to do it as the 'bricking' happened at 11 PM, and I don't have any micro USB cable with me and have to buy it from a gadget store. (I can't understand why the Apple TV uses a micro USB cable when it doesn't ship with a micro USB cable in the box, and none of Apple's other devices use micro USB!)

Once I plugged it into my Macbook, it took approximately 2 hours to complete the downloading & restoration process. After that, my Apple TV works perfectly.

This is the first time this ever happened to me. I've had my Apple TV for the past 1 year & went through a number of OTA updates, but never has it experienced this kind of problem before.

I suggest those planning to update their Apple TV OTA to be ready with a micro USB cable just in case something goes wrong.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I for one can vouch that anantksundaram did everything that could be possibly done to recover his ATV with no success. It's also a shame that he was charged a $90 fee to repair something made unusable by a software update.

If the unit was out of warranty then a charge makes sense. However one should be told that from the start. It's simple work for them to punch in the serial and look up the status. And attempting a restore is a while you wait sort of thing. There's no testing etc. Plug it in, hit restore. An hour later tops it works or it doesn't and you talk replacement.

And maybe $25 if was OOW would make sense. If in warranty no fees cause Apple pays them for units they work on
  • Reply 33 of 48

Count me as one of the people who had a bricked Apple TV. After letting it go for hours, literally, I finally pulled the plug. Plugged it back in and it showed on the screen that I needed to connect it to iTunes. I didn't even know you could do that. Restore and update process was simple though. Had to reconfigure it when I connected it back to the TV, but that was no big deal. 

Luckily it wasn't bricked to the point that I needed to return it to the Apple store. 

• Reply 34 of 48
    If it's bricked, you just need a microUSB cable and iTunes on a computer. You then click "Restore" and wait for the software to be downloaded and installed.

By the way, loving the new update!
  • Reply 35 of 48
    So much for "it just works", I haven't seen so many QC issues from Apple as it seems there have been the past year or so. I still prefer Apple over anyone else but this stuff is getting ridiculous. Every update it seems just brings out a new problem.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I gave up on Apple TV years ago. I'm not even sure which model I have since I haven't turned it on for at least a year. For what possible reason should I renew my interest now?

• Reply 37 of 48
    Unfortunate that they had not fixed major issue by now, I guess IOS 7 was feature focus, I hope IOS 7.0.2 fixes my 300+ crashes problem on iPhone 5. I also guess as soon as these issues are dealt with Mavericks will be rushed out and have but load of problems too.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    ericbolt wrote: »
    I don't think the term bricked is being used correctly on many of the forums. If it is bricked, it no longer works and it can't be reset. With the 6.0 issue, users have simply unplugged it and plugged it back in and it boots back up.

Who told you that lie? The thing IS bricked. There's no reset button in the box. Disconnect an reconnect is useless. You have to go to other alternatives like buying a cable you normally wouldn't use.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    You need a Micro-USB cable, not a Mini-USB cable to do a restore using the full restore ipsw file. They are two completely different cables. AppleTV 2 only requires the USB cable connected for iTunes. AppleTV 3 requires the power cord, in addition to the USB cable. Connect the USB cable before you plug in the power to the AppleTV3 for iTunes to recognize it.
  • Reply 40 of 48

Wondered what happened to my iTV 3. Couldn't get my controllers to work and finally tried my iPt app. That seemed to give back control  and ran the update again. Tonight an update  seemed available and after a short time all seems well, though sound doesn't seem as crisp as before. Really, Apple; having to grab a second control to manage sound is a puzzlement.

(I remember trying the micro-USB but that was a fail. Too much going on, what with the cursing, to remember through the fog.)