iPhone 5s has 2% app crash rate; crashes half as likely on iPhone 5 & 5c

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94

RE- the Numbers app bug, I tried this on both my iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd) and could not get a crash to happen.

Single clicking to get to the home screen with a file open worked flawlessly every time.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Maybe it's unique to the model phone you are using or your phone in particular.

• Reply 62 of 94
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    What do you mean be an ass? The best way to see if it's the phone or and app is remove all apps and see if it freezes if it does freeze it's the phone if not it's an app. Now you don't be an ASS!!!!!!!:devil:

To me, your comment sounded like a smart ass answer that would have you remove all apps so that it was less usable. It sounded like an exaggerated reply to my response.

An installed but non-running app will not crash the system. If it's the OS, which it likely is, then removing all App Store apps will do nothing and you'll still be blaming the device. Chances are if it's an app it's the app that is being used when it crashes. If that is too much to deal with (like the first LTE iPhone was for me witch the battery drain issue) then go ahead and return it. Or you could wait for an inevitable iOS 7 update. This is not unfamiliar ground.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    darkvader wrote: »
    More crashes is newsworthy, despite fanboi desires that the news be suppressed.

And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet.  Maybe in a few years when individual apps need more than 2GB RAM it'll make sense, but the iPhone 5s only has 1GB RAM, Apple rushed this to market, it gives the user NO advantages over a 32-bit chip, and the software wasn't ready for it yet.

Mix that with iOS 7 being a steaming pile of garbage, and you get a device that's selling well ONLY because it's a status symbol.  Look, I've been an Apple guy since 1982, but if we don't call Apple on their mistakes, we're only going to get junk.  And if Apple keeps pushing junk out for too long, Apple really will be dying. And NONE of us want that.

If you think iOS 7 is garbage ur going to have a tough time finding a word for any other platform. And ur wrong about 64 bit no providing advantages. This is as dumb as Qualcom vp first claiming that and later being retracted back saying they were wrong.
  • Reply 64 of 94

Agreed.  The analysts have no financial interest in anything beyond their paycheck.  Therefore they write incendiary articles in order to sell.

On the other hand, Apple may be losing touch with the people with the $$$ as they listen to techies who like to innovate ("oh...wouldn't it be nice if we did ...  That would be so cool") and failing to understand that most of the users are more or less silent but eventually vote with their buying dollars.  When innovations like the appearance of iOS7 start to irritate the silent buying public it can eventually erode marketshare.  The mass of the buyers want simplicity.  The techies want cool.  The money does not come from the techies.

Happened before you know.

• Reply 65 of 94
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Actually, I've found the opposite. I'd been dealing with hard crashes not just of apps, but of the entire phone, since installing 7 on my iPhone 5.

Since getting my 5s, I haven't had a single freeze.

So YMMV.

• Reply 66 of 94
    hope there is a 7.0.3 that fixes all these bugs.
    ->motion sensors are a little messed up.
    ->you can turn off find my iPhone by turning on airplane mode in control centre (Why do they have access to control centre if it is wiped out??easy fix)
    ->the crashes.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    uhh.
    does reseting the phone help??
  • Reply 68 of 94
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Well, that didn't take long. BIG HEADLINE at C|net...

<h1 style="border:0px;clear:both;color:rgb(57,67,76);margin-bottom:7px;margin-top:5px;padding-bottom:0px;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;">Blue Screen of Death attacks some Phone 5S owners</h1>

[SIZE=18px]"
    The infamous Blue Screen of Death seems to have expanded from Windows PCs to iPhones."
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=36px]Apple Is Doomed![/SIZE]

BSOD? I'm excited for Apple. Maybe now Windows fans will take the iPhone more seriously as a computer.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The lack of updates to Apps both 3rd party and Apple for iOS 7 compatibility is pathetic.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    darkvader wrote: »

And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet.  Maybe in a few years when individual apps need more than 2GB RAM it'll make sense, but the iPhone 5s only has 1GB RAM, Apple rushed this to market, it gives the user NO advantages over a 32-bit chip, and the software wasn't ready for it yet.

Mix that with iOS 7 being a steaming pile of garbage, and you get a device that's selling well ONLY because it's a status symbol.  Look, I've been an Apple guy since 1982, but if we don't call Apple on their mistakes, we're only going to get junk.  And if Apple keeps pushing junk out for too long, Apple really will be dying. And NONE of us want that.

This company survived the Apple ///, The Lisa, the Macintosh Office, The Newton, John Sculley, Michael Spindler, years of neglect and focus, Gil Amelieo, the PowerMac G4 Cube, MobileMe launch, Ping, Antennagate, and Apple maps 1.0 and you think a 64-bit chip and iOS 7 will sink it?

Sounds like you haven't been paying much attention since 1982.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    "And Apple made a mistake here, there's NO good reason to put a 64-bit processor in a mobile device yet."

There's no troll like an ignorant troll.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Talking about not having a clue.

The advance to 64 bits on iPhones has nothing to do with RAM capacity.

There's plenty of examples explaining the performance advantages of having the new instruction sets.

Sigh... ignorant kids these days...

• Reply 73 of 94
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Of course there are bugs but I can't say it's a huge issue or a deal breaker. I've had exactly one non-repeateadable blue screen.

Well, the OS has been out for less than a month, so obviously if there are bugs this early one, they will get addressed.  I haven't had any problems with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4.  In fact, I didn't have any problems with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 either.  I've never had to reset my OS on my iPhone 4.  To me, that's pretty good. 

• Reply 74 of 94
    heffeque wrote: »
    Talking about not having a clue.

The advance to 64 bits on iPhones has nothing to do with RAM capacity.

There's plenty of examples explaining the performance advantages of having the new instruction sets.

Sigh... ignorant kids these days...

He's just mad that his mom won't buy him a 5s.

Plus some techy stuff he read on Anandtech makes him a processor expert.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, Apple didn't rush the 64bit to the market.  It's the apps are not ready.  It's a chicken and egg problem.  Without the 64bit why the apps need to be ready?  It takes time to transition to 64bit just like the desktops and laptops some years ago.

However, i'll wait for the next fresh for Apple and apps to iron out all the 64bit problem.  Rumor says the next iphone will be a large screen.  Can't wait...

• Reply 76 of 94
    ipen wrote: »
    No, Apple didn't rush the 64bit to the market.  It's the apps are not ready.  It's a chicken and egg problem.  Without the 64bit why the apps need to be ready?  It takes time to transition to 64bit just like the desktops and laptops some years ago.

However, i'll wait for the next fresh for Apple and apps to iron out all the 64bit problem.  Rumor says the next iphone will be a large screen.  Can't wait...

The transition to 64-bit is much, much easier and faster than the transition to support 4" or 2x (Retina) displays. Even large, complex app makers are being able to make the necessary changes within a couple hours. Funny I never hear people claim Apple made the jump to a larger screen "too soon" when I still have some apps that only work on the 3.5" layout.
  • Reply 77 of 94

For all the people who think 64bit doesn't give any advantage until you have 4GB of RAM, I have a some very simple questions for you:

- Does this mean that only Apps that are 4GB or larger get any benefit?

- Does it mean only Apps that load files that are 4GB or larger get any benefit?

- What if I'm running several Apps that only require 200MB of RAM (code & data)? Does that mean I don't get any benefit until I'm running 20 or more at the same time until I hit the 4GB barrier (200MB x 20 Apps = 4GB)?

• Reply 78 of 94
    I have a iPhone 5, get about 8% crash rate, am I unlucky or what?
  • Reply 79 of 94
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    I find it a little strange that Apple did not increase the RAM on the iPhone 5S. A 64-bit compiled binary is typically larger than its 32-bit counterpart and consumes slightly more RAM, too. If Apple recompiled their iOS libraries, applications and services for 64-bit, I would suspect there is less available RAM on the iPhone 5S than 5C or the original 5.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    negafox wrote: »
    I find it a little strange that Apple did not increase the RAM on the iPhone 5S. A 64-bit compiled binary is typically larger than its 32-bit counterpart and consumes slightly more RAM, too. If Apple recompiled their iOS libraries, applications and services for 64-bit, I would suspect there is less available RAM on the iPhone 5S than 5C or the original 5.

Only when comparing 32-bit iOS 7 to 64-bit iOS 7 would that be relevant without knowing how iOS 7 deals with RAM compared to iOS 6. We'd also have to consider how much the device has to spare compared to how much extra is needed over 32-bit. Based on performance, including iOS 7 on older iPhones is say they dealt with that issue very well.