Miniature model offers detailed look at Apple's 'spaceship' Campus 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    All offices are accessible from the center out. How bright are some of us on here?
  • Reply 22 of 63
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Depends on how you're making this square. If you keep the courtyard in the middle, then it's going to take longer with a square. I think you're taking out the courtyard to make the square (creating lots of sad office space nowhere near a window).

Walking across the courtyard will be pretty nice. We're talking about a part of the world where the weather is nearly perfect almost every day of the year.

I'd be using the "traditional" square with 4 equal sides and four right angles. Not sure what other type of square there is.

As for the courtyard, that was the point of my comment.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    FYI: No building in any large corporation allows one a shorter path than that arc. You aren't working with people all over the campus.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    FYI: No building in any large corporation allows one a shorter path than that arc. You aren't working with people all over the campus.

These aren't international flight plans. No arc path is shorter than a straight line and there is no argument you can make to say that an arc is shorter for foot traffic on a flat surface.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Build a tower in the middle and you'd have iSengard.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    I wonder if they will place a bronze statue of Steve at the center of the park or at least somewhere in a shaded place for people to get inspiration ?
  • Reply 27 of 63
    I might be the lone dissenter, but I look at it this way: Apple didn't become the company they are today by having luxurious offices. They got there by having a stern taskmaster, in the form of Jobs, and by having great, talented people able to pull of the impossible regularly.

I view the campus as a mistake. Keep the cramped offices.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Depends on how you're making this square. If you keep the courtyard in the middle, then it's going to take longer with a square. I think you're taking out the courtyard to make the square (creating lots of sad office space nowhere near a window).

Walking across the courtyard will be pretty nice. We're talking about a part of the world where the weather is nearly perfect almost every day of the year.

Actually if you keep the same area and the same interior width, the distance you will have to walk is exactly the same for circle or a square building, so long the corridor is at the center and not the edges. But if you walk around the external perimeter of the building, a circle will give a smaller distance, while the internal perimeter will be smaller for a square

• Reply 29 of 63
    Merck in Whitehouse Station NJ has a similar building. It's a pita to walk around is all I will say. The park in the middle is a needed feature.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

It is beautiful but it seems like a huge pain to walk around. I hope that the underground portion that will house a walkway across the ring will also include a moving sideway to help speed up that process.

Segways for the execs, Roombas for everyone else.

• Reply 31 of 63
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Looks like an inverse White Wall Tire. But when finished, Tim Cook should hide 5 Golden Delicious tickets in Apple products and have those winners with the Golden Delicious Apple tickets tour of the newly built facility including future products and at the end of the tour, Tim retires and "gives" the Apple "Spaceship" campus to the winner!
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

These aren't international flight plans. No arc path is shorter than a straight line and there is no argument you can make to say that an arc is shorter for foot traffic on a flat surface.

It is not as simple as that! With this kind of configuration, with a courtyard at the center, the distance you will have to walk is basically the same for circular or squared building with the same area. Shortcuts through the courtyard would be quicker in a squared building though

• Reply 33 of 63
    ppietra wrote: »
    It is not as simple as that! With this kind of configuration, with a courtyard at the center, the distance you will have to walk is basically the same for circular or squared building with the same area. Shortcuts through the courtyard would be quicker in a squared building though

Don't be an idiot by counting the courtyard as interior building space. It's an open area. So for you to claim that walking from the far edge of one exterior of the ring to the interior of the ring then directly across the courtyard and from the interior of that side of the ring to the exterior of that side of the ring is the same as walking the same internal space in a building without an expansive courtyard is idiotic.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:

Don't be an idiot by counting the courtyard as interior building space. It's an open area. So for you to claim that walking from the far edge of one exterior of the ring to the interior of the ring then directly across the courtyard and from the interior of that side of the ring to the exterior of that side of the ring is the same as walking the same internal space in a building without an expansive courtyard is idiotic.

I think I made it quite clear that both buildings would have a courtyard at the center and the same office area - square and circle. In those conditions you would basically walk the same distance internally from one edge to the other.

• Reply 35 of 63
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member

And corner cases (no pun intended) abound. For example, if you're traveling faster than the speed of light, on a star date ending in .42, while standing on your left foot, the building shape lending to the shortest path would be purple.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Hard to get around?

Think "Roller Derby"! Easy to envision a nice hardwood track down the center of each floor - just step into your skates and z-o-o-m on down the line to see your cubicle mates! Certainly something Google would do if THEY owned the building, eh?
    -e
  • Reply 37 of 63
    I think I made it quite clear that both buildings would have a courtyard at the center and the same office area - square and circle. In those conditions you would basically walk the same distance internally from one edge to the other.

Considering that I started this discussion and you disagreed with my comment change your position is weak.
  • Reply 38 of 63

This would be so cool if it was like the building from "The Jetsons".

• Reply 39 of 63

there is no argument you can make to say that an arc is shorter for foot traffic on a flat surface.

Underneath the building is a miniature particle accelerator. Apple will utilize wormholes to make curved-line travel within the building shorter than a straight line.

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

This would be so cool if it was like the building from "The Jetsons".

Meet Stev-en Jobs!

Jon-a-than Ive!

Rob-ert Mansfield!

Phil… Schiller!

“Where’s T–“

Too few syllables.

• Reply 40 of 63
    Apple's proposed building is very impressive. My one reservation is this. Most of the renderings of the building that I've seen show the bird's eye perspective, the round, black roof (solar panels?) the prominent feature imo. And the few ground view renderings that I've seen reveal a massive, curved, glass-walled building with white trim. But I still think that the birds will have the better view.

Also, since I remember watching Captain Kirk running in circles in the curved hallways of the Enterprise, I have an idea what the inside of the building will be like.