Apple offering iTunes credit for eligible customers that purchased iWork, iMovie, iPhoto after Septe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    more I wonder If people who bought devices and the apps in September before the keynote get a refund or not.

Yes they are getting refunds. That is exactly what the article is about.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why is apple even offering all of their iOS apps for free at all? They have no competition in this area. 

Office for iOS will exist. Apple is pouring axle grease on the ledge from which they’ll be dangling by their fingertips.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Lack of updates for these apps is pathetic.

Pretending that Apple isn’t a few months away from updating iWork across their entire product line is pathetic.

• Reply 23 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Why is apple even offering all of their iOS apps for free at all?

They have no competition in this area. Where is the incentive to build and improve these apps for their own platform if they give them away?
    That was already an issue with iWork, there is a healthy need for an update.

Are sales of iOS devices so dire they have to bundle apps now?

I don't see Apple bundling the same applications on the Mac to drive Mac sales which are respectively in the toilet (along with all other PC sales).

So what's this about?
    Hammering another nail in MicroSofts coffin.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Office for iOS will exist. Apple is pouring axle grease on the ledge from which they’ll be dangling by their fingertips.
    I do believe Apple has a strategy here to keep MS of balance.
    Pretending that Apple isn’t a few months away from updating iWork across their entire product line is pathetic.

What is more pathetic, pretending that Apple is actually working on the apps? I haven't seen any signs at all of an update coming that matches what the suite needs.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Will exist in a year, two years, 5 years? MS is not known for their reliable release dates. Either way, I seriously doubt when MS gets around to offering Office for iOS, that they will be dangling by their fingertips. Even if the iOS community embraces the iWork suite, which offers MS compatibility, as soon as a native option exists, it's hard to imagine the corporate users won't immediately jump ship to it. Word, Excel, and Outlook are THE business standard. Unless MS really screws the pooch, I don't see this changing, even if Windows ends up going the way of the dodo. Pages comes nowhere near as close to doing everything Word can, nor can Numbers to Excel, nor Mail to Outlook. Perhaps Apple will step up its game when they actually have some competition, but I don't see that as their focus. Apple seems to support their business productivity software as a courtesy where a giant gaping hole exists in their platform. I'm sorry, Apple might not have made it had MS not stepped up with a commitment to the Mac platform when Jobs took over. Since then, Apple has become a much more consumer oriented company selling music and movies over office productivity. If Word never shows up on iOS, it won't affect Apple's business model at all. However, Apple recognizes that they can't be taken seriously in Enterprise without some basic apps that permit word processing and spreadsheet activities, even if that's not the primary purpose of their devices.

• Reply 26 of 42
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is more pathetic, pretending that Apple is actually working on the apps?

I dunno, they explicitly said they were. They can’t really lie to us, so I’d go ahead and believe them.

Word, Excel, and Outlook are THE business standard.

Not for long.

However, Apple recognizes that they can’t be taken seriously in Enterprise…

Mixed messages here. You say they won’t be taken seriously, then you say they don’t care, then you say they want to be. On top of it all, iPads are the only thing that businesses are buying, out in the real world.

• Reply 27 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Why is apple even offering all of their iOS apps for free at all?

They have no competition in this area. Where is the incentive to build and improve these apps for their own platform if they give them away?

Are sales of iOS devices so dire they have to bundle apps now?

I don't see Apple bundling the same applications on the Mac to drive Mac sales which are respectively in the toilet (along with all other PC sales).

So what's this about?

iLife style.

Sales of iOS devices recently amounted to 9 million over what, the span of a weekend or so (provided you've been paying attention to the news.) 

Your concerns don't figure.

• Reply 28 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Not for long.
    And what iWork is going to replace Office in the near future!? I would love to see any legitimate validation of that theory by a respected third party source.

If Apple is giving away their software, I'm not sure how they expect to fund the development of world class business software to crush Office in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

If Apple is giving away their software, I'm not sure how they expect to fund the development of world class business software to crush Office in the foreseeable future.

??

They're paying the employees responsible for creating that software?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. 

• Reply 30 of 42

a respected third party source.

????

They sure don’t sell hardware or anything. ????

• Reply 31 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Lack of updates for these apps is pathetic. 

They wasted all their time doing a web based version.

• Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not for long.

What do you base that on?  The Mac is not making inroads into corporate America at any decent clip - that's the domain of HP and Dell still.  iPads have enjoyed tremendous success, yes, and will continue to be the tablet standard.  But you don't seriously expect businesses to start pounding out presentations and spreadsheets on iPads, do you?  If Apple were to make iWorks available for Windows then you might be right, but otherwise it's just not going to happen.  iWorks will always have a very small market, and Apple realizes this.  Making it free gives it the best chance of growing.

• Reply 33 of 42

" And what iWork is going to replace Office in the near future!? I would love to see any legitimate validation of that theory by a respected third party source."

Legitimate validation? Why? I don't understand what the big deal is about MS Office, on a day to day basis most people just want to create simple documents, spreadsheets or presentations which pretty much any alternative can do with ease. The old compatibility argument is rapidly disappearing due to large corporations both private and public looking reduce costs, willing to sacrifice familiarity and little used extra functionality. Office reliance is diminishing due to the shear amount of quality free offerings.

So I throw back the question albeit modified :- I would love to see any legitimate argument for the dominance of MS Office.

• Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

What do you base that on?  The Mac is not making inroads into corporate America at any decent clip - that's the domain of HP and Dell still.  iPads have enjoyed tremendous success, yes, and will continue to be the tablet standard.  But you don't seriously expect businesses to start pounding out presentations and spreadsheets on iPads, do you?  If Apple were to make iWorks available for Windows then you might be right, but otherwise it's just not going to happen.  iWorks will always have a very small market, and Apple realizes this.  Making it free gives it the best chance of growing.

iWorks will be shortly coming to Windows..

https://www.apple.com/iwork-for-icloud/

• Reply 36 of 42
    WHO purchased. Come on.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Personally I feel the fool for having paid for them when they came out (Numbers, Pages, and Keynote.) They're not really even compatable with the OS X versions,[many basic features missing] much less with Microsoft or OpenOffice.

I assume these apps are more useable with the larger screen of the iPad, but Ive always wondered if the version running on iPads is more compatible with the OS X versions too. Otherwise I'm surprised anyone can use them. They've really been no use to me.

• Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Ski View Post

iWorks will be shortly coming to Windows..

https://www.apple.com/iwork-for-icloud/

Although cool in it's own right, the "cloud" isn't "Windows."

• Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Ski View Post

So I throw back the question albeit modified :- I would love to see any legitimate argument for the dominance of MS Office.

While the iApps are decent, and now, even more affordable, they aren't very robust. Numbers is totally unusable for enterprise use and only suitable for the most basic and simple personal use. Pages is better, but still pretty limited too. Only Keynote really is robust (perhaps it's the only one Steve used?)

• Reply 40 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Personally I feel the fool for having paid for them when they came out (Numbers, Pages, and Keynote.) They're not really even compatable with the OS X versions,[many basic features missing] much less with Microsoft or OpenOffice.
    I assume these apps are more useable with the larger screen of the iPad, but Ive always wondered if the version running on iPads is more compatible with the OS X versions too. Otherwise I'm surprised anyone can use them. They've really been no use to me.

What was to be expected is the fact that ones finger is way bigger than the pointer of a mouse. Therefore the whole UI had been re-written and not every function has been carried over to iOS. I for one think this is completely logical, and never expected it would 'be the same' as on the desktop.

What does work though is opening and reading the files, and most 'light use' modifications I do are indeed being carried over to the desktop version. But yeah, compatibility is a stretchable word.