Apple offering iTunes credit for eligible customers that purchased iWork, iMovie, iPhoto after Septe

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has begun offering iTunes credit to customers who purchased both a new iOS device and iPhoto, iMovie, or the iWork suite of apps after September 1.

On September 10, Apple announced that the aforementioned apps would be free to customers purchasing an eligible iOS device. Some users, though, had purchased eligible devices earlier in the month and then gone on to buy one or several of Apple's productivity or creativity apps. Now, the iPhone maker is sending out notifications to those customers that they are eligible for an iTunes credit in the value of the total cost of the apps they purchased, according to MacRumors.

The iTunes credit can be used toward the purchase of any content in the iTunes Store, be it an app, an iBook, or music.

Pages normally sells for $10 in the App Store, as do Numbers and Keynote. Apple's iMovie and iPhoto sell for $5 each. Due to Apple's pricing change, customers buying a new iPhone, iPod, or iPad are now receiving $40 in free software. In the case of the iWork suite, users now have a relatively platform agnostic solution, as the productivity suite works on desktop and notebook browsers as well as on iOS devices thanks to Apple's release of iWork for iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

All these apps still show up with a price for me, even though I'm using a 5S. Glitch, or what?

• Reply 2 of 42
    cash907 wrote: »
    All these apps still show up with a price for me, even though I'm using a 5S. Glitch, or what?
    Sounds like not fully activated, sadly having a iPhone 5 and purchasing them all in august, I feel ripped off, I would have not wasted a est. $50 on these on IOS, and I assume the same deal will go to Mac, so another $60, $100ish that could go to a new IOS device but did not due to the unfree; more I wonder If people who bought devices and the apps in September before the keynote get a refund or not.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Yeah it's free for new devices. That's nice. But would be nicer if it doesn't cause bsod.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Originally Posted by solitaryan View Post

Yeah it's free for new devices. That's nice. But would be nicer if it doesn't cause bsod.

Which it doesn’t, save for only the 5S and only in special circumstances. Come on.

• Reply 5 of 42
    I bought iPhoto and iMovie on September 3 and a refurb iPad mini from the Apple Store on September 15. Should I be eligible or does the refurb mini not count as "new"?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by solitaryan View Post

I'm glad you signed up just to say that. Nice trolling....

• Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Sounds like not fully activated, sadly having a iPhone 5 and purchasing them all in august, I feel ripped off, I would have not wasted a est. $50 on these on IOS, and I assume the same deal will go to Mac, so another $60, $100ish that could go to a new IOS device but did not due to the unfree; more I wonder If people who bought devices and the apps in September before the keynote get a refund or not.

So what do you want Apple to do? Say okay the people who bought these apps in August can now get them free. And then the ones who purchased these apps in July will whine and complain. You have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Reply 8 of 42
    Just annoyed that the sensors are not calibrated properly and the bsod bug. I hope it's all software issue and not hardware
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Was like this for me too. On the Featured page scroll down to Must-Have Collections and then across to Apps made for Apple.  I was able to download them free from there.

• Reply 10 of 42
    Hey I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4 bought some time ago and the iWork apps are all now free..
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Hey I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4 bought some time ago and the iWork apps are all now free..
  • Reply 12 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

That's the advantage of an integrated ecosystem like Apple's, they can look back at who recently bought both a new computer and software and give them a refund.

I remember last year when I bought a new Mac. Next time I logged in to the Mac App Store, the latest versions of iLife apps had all been added to my account - even though I hadn't purchased them - because in setting up the new Mac I used my Apple id, and all new Macs come with free versions of these apps, so they found my account and added them to the purchase history - nice.

• Reply 13 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ivan ski wrote: »

Good news; you can still buy them. I must say, pretty late to the game; iWork apps all came out in 2010.

I really don't understand why people hold off their purchases for 3 years and then whine about them becoming free. This must be an Android thing, expecting everything in life to be free.
  • Reply 14 of 42

The point I was making is that I've not recently bought an iOS device and I've never purchased iWorks on iOS but now they are showing up as free. So I don't understand why people are stating that they are still for purchase? 

• Reply 15 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Good news; you can still buy them. I must say, pretty late to the game; iWork apps all came out in 2010.

This must be an Android thing, expecting everything in life to be free.

Perhaps an iPhone thing too? 90% of all iOS apps in use on them are free.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    cash907 wrote: »
    I called the Apple 800 number and then said I wanted to buy iWork's and spoke to someone to get them to add it to my iTunes account. It took 2 calls but finally got codes. Then redeemed them but they did not show up in my iTunes account which took several more calls.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member

I really don't understand why people hold off their purchases for 3 years and then whine about them becoming free. This must be an Android thing, expecting everything in life to be free.
    If you purchased a qualifying device it is not an expectation that it would be free but a reality that it is free. I had been using a different office type product and when I heard I could get these for free I figured I'd try it. Nothing to do with android.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »

This must be an Android thing, expecting everything in life to be free.

Perhaps an iPhone thing too? 90% of all iOS apps in use on them are free.

No idea, so you're probably right as you always look this stuff up. But I was referring to people who whine about stuff they paid for before it became free. And Android users are known to be wanting everything to be free, even if that has never been proven.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Why is apple even offering all of their iOS apps for free at all?

They have no competition in this area. Where is the incentive to build and improve these apps for their own platform if they give them away?

Are sales of iOS devices so dire they have to bundle apps now?

I don't see Apple bundling the same applications on the Mac to drive Mac sales which are respectively in the toilet (along with all other PC sales).

So what's this about?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Lack of updates for these apps is pathetic. If they can't hire enough people to work on this much software simultaneously, they have problems.