Apple's iOS 7 sounds crafted by Owl City creator Adam Young

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Holy crap its just ring tones. At any rate, he's been asked to remove this reference to his bio. Hilarious.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Hopefully they'll bring some nuance to OS-X system sounds to especially "start-up",
    love the new tones.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    That's is the down side of all these cool new sounds.

Revert to 'Classic'
  • Reply 25 of 49
    This kid owes his career to the band The Postal Service. His band sound, his vocal style and even his choice of lyrics are all essentially lifted. He's a mimic. When I first heard him, I wondered when the new Postal Service album had come out.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    quinney wrote: »
    OK, anyone want to take credit for the new icons?

Haha. Apparently they are saying it was the marketing department. Though the source TNW got for that info is unproven. They could have been worse, but they don't seem up to that high standard we hold Apple to. The do grow on you though. Slightly.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This kid owes his career to the band The Postal Service. His band sound, his vocal style and even his choice of lyrics are all essentially lifted. He's a mimic. When I first heard him, I wondered when the new Postal Service album had come out.

talk about a hater.

• Reply 28 of 49

Cool.

I always loved this guys music.

• Reply 29 of 49
    The new tones sound to me like variations of the same tinkly keyboard with a handful of the same notes thrown in. I truly can't tell one apart from the other, except for their rather non-descriptive and cutesy-sounding names.

Easily the dullest part of iOS 7. Color me totally unimpressed.

That's because those types of sounds sound good. I have a few custom steel drum ringtones on my phone because I found then to sound good coming from the iPhone speaker, and not annoying or harsh. Interestingly these ringtones are quite similar to the ones I had on my iPhones for 2 years. In my opinion the new tones are in good taste. But I can tell them apart. They could have easily made them more different, yes, but I'd bet that would make them less good for reasons stated above. I've over the moon with how good they are. Easily the best stock ringtones on any mobile phone ever made.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    The new tones sound to me like variations of the same tinkly keyboard with a handful of the same notes thrown in. I truly can't tell one apart from the other, except for their rather non-descriptive and cutesy-sounding names.

Easily the dullest part of iOS 7. Color me totally unimpressed.

That's because those types of sounds sound good. I have a few custom steel drum ringtones on my phone because I found then to sound good coming from the iPhone speaker, and not annoying or harsh. Interestingly these ringtones are quite similar to the ones I had on my iPhones for 2 years. In my opinion the new tones are in good taste. I can tell them apart. Of course they could have made them more different, but I'd bet that would have made them them less good for reasons stated above. I'm over the moon with how good they are. Easily the best stock ringtones on any mobile phone ever made. That could not convincly have been said before.
  • Reply 31 of 49

TPS are such a great band ;-)
  • Reply 32 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

I'd rather watch the video of Robert Fripp working on sounds for Windows Vista :)

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/scobleizer/Robert-Fripp-Behind-the-scenes-at-Windows-Vista-recording-session

• Reply 33 of 49
    jakeb wrote: »
    I mean seriously, they're about 500% better than the barking dog and and the church bells and the "Bad to the Bone" piano riff. 

I like the new sound that prompts that the device has started charging. As for the others, I haven't seen all of them. I have custom ringtones and SMS alerts so those have not changed.

However, my alarm is still barking dog. I used to live in a neighbourhood where there was this dog that constantly barked and caused a lot of disturbed sleep. Since then my body has been conditioned to wake up when a dog barks!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    bananaman wrote: »
    talk about a hater.

Owl City is to The Postal Service what Samsung is to Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    ireland wrote: »
    TPS are such a great band ;-)

I agree. Owl City is a weak imitation.
  • Reply 36 of 49

Now that a band (musician? Whatever) has done work for Apple, Samsung has to get one to do the same.

Introducing, Android+TouchWiz with special sound effect guests ABBA and A Flock of Seagulls. 

• Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Owl City is to The Postal Service what Samsung is to Apple.

I don't know if I'd go that far. TPS is clearly better than Owl City. 

• Reply 38 of 49
    I don't know if I'd go that far. TPS is clearly better than Owl City. 

Yes, they are better because they actually created something new. Owl City copied the "sound and feel" of TPS.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Yes, they are better because they actually created something new. Owl City copied the "sound and feel" of TPS.

They were amazing on Colbert

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/427312/june-19-2013/the-postal-service

• Reply 40 of 49
    I think while TPS and Owl City do sound alike in some aspects, if you really listen to a lot of his stuff you will find that there is a difference. I've been spinning "Give Up" like no other lately and I have noticed a significant difference. Of course, I'm sure Adam did draw inspiration from TPS,