Apple reportedly testing iPad keyboard akin to Microsoft's Touch Cover

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Simple - 12" iPad. TS will be happy.

VERY happy. Not gonna happen yet, but I would be so happy. So happy, in fact, that… I’d… wait for the 15” running OS XI.

Maybe. A larger iPad is a powerful draw.

• Reply 102 of 116
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    wp7mango wrote: »
    No they are not. I have used iPad keyboards and the new Surface Pro 2 type keyboard. There is nothing flimsy about the Surface Pro 2 type keyboard - it's actually an excellent keyboard.

Nope. Apple's keyboard has a much better tactile feel and travel than either of the MS surface keyboards. It's crazy that you'd even think that you could lie to people by claiming that a physical touch keyboard is better than the one with good travel and resistance.
  • Reply 103 of 116
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I hate to say this, because Apple constantly does these things I think they wont, but Apple's not going to do anything like the Surface keyboard unless they can do something revolutionary with it. Third parties already make great keyboards for the iPad. For Apple to be perceived as copying the Surface, which isn't even selling well, they had better blow the Surface out of the water.

How about a flexible dual screen extension with a virtual keyboard built in and maximize the iPad's screen space? So you can hold it like a book and read on both sides. Now that would make MS look like amateurs.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I hate to say this, because Apple constantly does these things I think they wont, but Apple's not going to do anything like the Surface keyboard unless they can do something revolutionary with it. Third parties already make great keyboards for the iPad. For Apple to be perceived as copying the Surface, which isn't even selling well, they had better blow the Surface out of the water.

How about a flexible dual screen extension with a virtual keyboard built in, so you can hold it like a book and maximize the iPad's screen space? Now that would make MS look like amateurs.

That's not revolutionary either. Acer already did this with their Windows 7 laptop back in 2010 -

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/acer-iconia-dual-screen-tablet-is-actually-a-laptop-50001723/

And don't forget the Microsoft Courier concept -

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/microsoft-courier-ux-tablet-leaked-49303726/
  • Reply 105 of 116
    That's not revolutionary either. Acer already did this with their Windows 7 laptop back in 2010 -

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/acer-iconia-dual-screen-tablet-is-actually-a-laptop-50001723/

Right, nothing Apple does is game changing. The iPhone was just a touch screen phone that had existed for decades. The iPad was just a dumbed down version of a Win Tablet that existed for two previous decades. /s

That's the difference between a rational and irrational person. An irrational person thinks that the difficult part is making a concept video when a rational person knows that it's how you take something from a concept to reality that is the real challenge which is why Courier never existed, and why Blackberry nee RiM execs didn't think the iPhone's UI performance could be real back in January 2007 when Steve Jobs demoed it.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    That's not revolutionary either.
    One could argue, as I'm about to that Apple has never done anything original. Virtually all of their products already existed in some form long before Apple took them on. Even the Lisa/Macintosh was released as a commercial product by Xerox before Apple got around to it.

Arguably what Apple does is take a concept others have been fumbling with and streamline it, and make it a commercial reality, while making them a cultural icon along the way. Pointing to concepts is a waste of time, since the general public can't buy them, nor do they really function. And the Acer product is just clunky. Who would want that?

If Apple decided to do a dual screen concept, making the second screen a thin flexible cover (as I suggested) that magnetically attaches to the iPad would blow all of these predecessors and concepts out of the water, just like the iPad blew all those Microsoft tablets that preceeded it out of the water.

I was kidding about the cover since I don't think Apple could make something like that work elegantly yet, and thus would be resigned to duplicating efforts of Acer and MS. But I hope if they do this, they don't decide to go the 5c route and just offer the same thing MS did for the surface, without offering something inherently unique others have not contemplated.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    hentaiboy wrote: »

Are you suggesting the rumors of a 60" iPad are untrue? B-b-but I already saw them being used on Fox News!
  • Reply 108 of 116
    I can't do too much typing on the iPad because my fingers just hit a glass screen as opposed to getting some kind of tactile feedback.

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard, but it doesn't integrate that well. I'd love it if Apple did release a keyboard smart cover.

However, instead of the keyboard just being flipped back when not in use (exposing the keys at the back), Apple should have a mechanism where the keyboard would slide back, rather than just turn back. That way, the keys will be against the iPad's back when not in use.

Of course, I don't expect them to release one, but it would be nice if they gave that option.

Watch for the "one more thing" at the end when Phil Schiller introduces SmartyPants,™ the only dungarees available with full-size QWERTY keys and numerical pad input.

"Can't innovate any more, my pants!"
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Nope. Apple's keyboard has a much better tactile feel and travel than either of the MS surface keyboards. It's crazy that you'd even think that you could lie to people by claiming that a physical touch keyboard is better than the one with good travel and resistance.

When I've used a type cove I thought it felt just like a laptop keyboard or a mac keyboard. They have a decent amount of travel which is quite impressive for something so thin.

I've never had an issue with typing on screens though so I bought myself the touch cover version.

• Reply 110 of 116
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    When I've used a type cove I thought it felt just like a laptop keyboard or a mac keyboard. They have a decent amount of travel which is quite impressive for something so thin.

I've never had an issue with typing on screens though so I bought myself the touch cover version.

Sure, I've used the TypeCover and it's great, especially for something so thin, but WP7Mango was saying that both the touch and type varieties are both better than what Apple offers and he also implied that Apple doesn't think people want to type on their iPad and that MS is somehow more aware of usage needs despite the iPad being the winning tablet and all varieties of MS Surface failing to carve out a respectable niche market.

Even if were to only talk about the TypeCover it's still not as good as a keyboard as Apple's iPad dock keyboard. It's not as portable (in fact not at all designed to be portable) and therefore fails for what I would think would be an important aspect to an iPad keyboard, but his comment was not about portability or other features.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    akqies wrote: »

I'm talking about the Type keyboard, not the Touch keyboard. The Type keyboard does have real physical travel in the keys.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    I'm talking about the Type keyboard, not the Touch keyboard. The Type keyboard does have real physical travel in the keys.

I am clearly referring to that keyboard and saying Apple's keyboard for the iPad is a much better keyboard.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

a physical touch keyboard

Not that clearly.

• Reply 114 of 116
    crowley wrote: »
    Not that clearly.

In that context it made sense and you convneiently removed all aspects to the sentence as well as all my postes that specifically refer to TypeCover.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Bit of a boring argument tbh, I make no pretence that I was doing anything other than being facetious.