Data Loss on Western Digital Drives under 10.9 and WD software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Just got a message from WD saying there is a risk of data loss if you use their software manager and drives.

From the community forum (I doubt they will mind it is copied and pasted as this could be very serious for some users).

External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS (10/30/13)

[ Edited ]

3 hours ago - last edited 3 hours ago

There are reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9).  Western Digital is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. 

Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications on their systems before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading.  If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. WD has removed these software applications from our web site solely as a precaution as we investigate this issue.

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/External-Drives-for-Mac-Experiencing-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/m-p/613775

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57609783-263/external-drives-experiencing-data-loss-after-mavericks-installation/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Good thing I’d never use any of that crap. Thanks, Finder, for being the only thing worth using.
  • Reply 2 of 3

Some people do so I posted it here.

I have WD drives (Thunderbolt) and tried the apps, but never used them.

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    Good thing I’d never use any of that crap. Thanks, Finder, for being the only thing worth using.

If it's a RAID drive, you'd probably have to use their software as OS X would set it up in software RAID. Pegasus and others have their own software too.