Alleged cuts to iPhone 5c orders cited as Apple supplier Pegatron's profits disappoint

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I have seen more people with a Lumia than I have with a iPhone 5c.  3-1

Almost every person I see with an iPhone is the 5.

I've seen 5 5s and 1 5c.

At my sons high school, most of the girls have the older iPhone 5 and most of the guys have some android variant.

• Reply 22 of 41
    saarek wrote: »
    Have you seen a single iPhone 5c in the wild, I've kept a keen look out on my daily commute/within my office and I am yet to see someone with a 5c.

I've seen loads of 5s handsets though, I wonder if it is more popular in the US where hideously expensive contracts rule the roost and people may see it as good value.

I'm in london and have seen quite a few being used on the streets and on the tube. They are pretty distinctive - interestingly when I see people using them they are not using a case for them.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Have you seen a single iPhone 5c in the wild, I've kept a keen look out on my daily commute/within my office and I am yet to see someone with a 5c.

I've seen loads of 5s handsets though, I wonder if it is more popular in the US where hideously expensive contracts rule the roost and people may see it as good value.

Yes, I've seen a couple 5C's in the wild about a week or so after release.

I love these stories of "weak sales" even though the 5C is in the top 3 at the four major US carriers. So if the 5C is "weak", the Sammy GS4 must be non existent.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I see many, many 5Cs in the wild. I guess it depends where you live. But I literally see dozens everyday. 

• Reply 25 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Another day another anonymous source in the supply chain claiming iPhone 5C orders are being cut. And we'll get another thread full of posts complaining about cost, colors, etc. without anyone questioning the original story. Yawn.

..not to mention a chunk being cut out of the stock. 

• Reply 26 of 41
    I have seen at least two 5c units in the wild. Since the 5S design is little different from the 5, I don't know if I've seen any of them or not. But the 5c's distinctive colors make them really stand out.

D
  • Reply 27 of 41
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    virtua wrote: »
    I'm in london and have seen quite a few being used on the streets and on the tube. They are pretty distinctive - interestingly when I see people using them they are not using a case for them.
    Being cheap plastic I guess you wouldn't seek to protect it so much. I didn't bother with a case on my 3GS but have really looked after my 4s
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Yes I think so.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    The 5C was stillborn, anyone with eyes could see that. Some of the f-ugliest shades of color I've ever seen on a abysmally boring and cheap looking design. Apple blew the 5C before it was ever released! It should never have seen the light of day and if SJ were still around it wouldn't have. Cook & Cos designs are out of whack with Apple's long established aesthetic.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I have yet to see one person who has the 5c
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

The 5C was stillborn, anyone with eyes could see that. Some of the f-ugliest shades of color I've ever seen on a abysmally boring and cheap looking design. Apple blew the 5C before it was ever released! It should never have seen the light of day and if SJ were still around it wouldn't have. Cook & Cos designs are out of whack with Apple's long established aesthetic.

Hmm, interesting POV, considering we've heard that Steve put a 5 year plan into place before he passed away.  Just maybe he approved all of this, and Tim and Co. are just following the plan.

• Reply 32 of 41
    mj web wrote: »

Missing sarcasm tag.
  • Reply 33 of 41

Perhaps if you left your mom's basement.
  • Reply 34 of 41

Hang out with fashion models, artists, and musicians instead of office drones.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Commuting on the NYC subway I see plenty.  

What really surprises me is how many Android phones, high and mid as well as the obvious low end, I see.   I had imagined them having a smaller ratio than I see.  And, like for island hermit, a Blackberry sighting isn't rare at all.  Weird, considering the amount of doomsday surrounding it. 

• Reply 36 of 41
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Come on, we had ugly shades of iMac that got past Steve … Blue Dalmatian, Flower Power. 

• Reply 37 of 41
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Come on, we had ugly shades of iMac that got past Steve … Blue Dalmatian, Flower Power. 

True but people were chomping at the bit to buy iMacs. No a solitary soul wants a 5c.

• Reply 38 of 41

No a solitary soul wants a 5c.

Shut up.

• Reply 39 of 41
    mj web wrote: »
    True but people were chomping at the bit to buy iMacs. No a solitary soul wants a 5c.

Obvious troll. Not worthy of a response.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Apple's pricing strategy for the 5C is somewhat confusing ($150 cheaper than a 5S, whose going to bother??) until you consider a couple of things:

1. Apple don't aim at the cheap end of the market, they are squarely in the premium product game.
    2. Because of (1) they have created somewhat of a price umbrella for the iPhone.
    3. They won't release something new and make it cheap from the get go, as it cheapens their brand.
    4. They always heavily discount last years iPhone model once this year's model is released.

The above leads me to the conclusion that next year, the 5C will be heavily discounted down to ~$150-$200, thereby allowing Apple to compete with cheaper Android phones as well as having a product to more effectively break in to emerging markets such as China and India. Oh, and it totally negates on the risk of cheapening their brand.

Accordingly, 12 months of reduced demand for one phone seems like a small price to pay.