Game developers left out of iEmphasis

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
MacPlay just announced that the Neverwinter Nights release for OS X would not include the "toolset", which allows the user to create their own adventures. This SUCKS! Why not? It would take too long to port, they say.

IMHO, Apple needs to get on the ball here. They let Bungie slip away to the Evil Empire. Now, my most lusted-after game, even when it finally does arrive months later on the Mac, is going to lack its most critical feature, the most appealing thing about it: its creative aspect.

A creative-type game like NWN *belongs* on the Mac. Apple should finance a port of it, no matter the cost, because of how much better it could be on this platform. They need something like this where the Mac version would be ten times better, because it *could* be.

But instead, MacPlay doesn't have the manpower to do it, they can't afford to. If I were Steve Jobs, I would be purchasing MacPlay or someone like them, and doing what MS did with Bungie. WAKE UP APPLE!! The gaming industry is practically the only sector that's growing, and Apple's not even close to being on the wave!

Easily upgradable graphics cards in both desktops and laptops would be good too. I'm about () this close to buying an X-Box or even a custom-built PC to play games on.

-=PH=-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    god, shut up
  • Reply 2 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    um... buy an Xbox.... go ahead.... its better... and doing so would not hurt apple or cost them sales at all.

i dont see the problem here.

Apple has been doing a lot for gaming. It's just that mac users:

1. dont buy enough games

2. mac gamers warez too many titles
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I agree on first post.

And the other two posts =
  • Reply 4 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch:

<strong>I agree on first post.

And the other two posts = </strong><hr></blockquote>

what...

what else do you want apple to do?

they have made inroads in getting the best 3d hardware for the mac.. we now have ATI and nVidia options.

OpenGL was revamped in jaguar.

they added force feeback control

OS X overall offers a MUCH improved gaming environment.

i'm not sure what you want them to do... they give game developers prime ad space on their gaming section of apple.com... they always demo or talk about a hot game or two during a keynote.

i dont get it.

then again it seems mac porting companies tend to port too much CRAP... i dont want 90 percent of the ames available for the mac but want so many games available for the PC... how many first person shooters do we need? how many versions of the Sims expansion packs?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>god, shut up</strong><hr></blockquote>

I likes ya.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I don't think it would be a bad idea for Apple to have their own in house Mac only game development team, Bungie would have been an excellent pick. But applenut is right, not many Mac users play games and the ones that do tend to pirate a lot of them.

I think Apple is proactive in getting gaming stuff to the Mac. They have just given the team of Teamspeak two Macs so that they would port their software to OS X.

Mac game piracy is particularly damaging because the Mac game market is so small, every sale count here. I usually justification is that you want to try the game out. That's fine but what if you try it out so much you are now bored of the game and don't purchase it.

To all the game pirates out there, please buy your games, video games offer some of the best value per hour of entertainment out there. You really only have to play a game 10-15 hours and you have had cheaper entertainment than the same amount of time watching movies in a theater.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    why do mac users assume that pc gaming is "crap" ?

i use my pc & enjoy both systems.

if you want a game & theres no mac port get a pc

& enjoy it..

if apple provides a solid gaming api developers

will flock to it....ms did that with directx

the initial versions werent great but they kept

at it & really improved it with support for

gaming devices...

i still cant get my logitech rumblepad or saitek

joystick to work in osx..so its really upto

apple to provide api's or make sure drivers

get written for devices
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>they have made inroads in getting the best 3d hardware for the mac.. we now have ATI and nVidia options.

OpenGL was revamped in jaguar.

OS X overall offers a MUCH improved gaming environment.

i'm not sure what you want them to do... they give game developers prime ad space on their gaming section of apple.com... they always demo or talk about a hot game or two during a keynote.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You say so? Were still waiting for ATI's 9700, and have been for half a year! And nVidia's drivers is no-where as good as on the dark side!

OpenGL might have been rewamped for OSX, but can you tell me why i run Warcraft III in OpenGL about 40% slower in OSX? I would really like to know!

Personally I want Apple to strike a deal with MS, and make them do a port, or make some tools, so that DirectX games can be ported more easily to the mac! We need Apple to do this, not a game-company, and im quite sure that the mac-game market would benefit a lot from it!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Ya, its so sad that there a so few good games for the Mac.

My advice is get a Playstation2. It rocks and the game library is amazing!