Former Microsoft CTO creates beautiful culinary app exclusively for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Who was the Microsoft VP who said if he weren't working for Microsoft, he'd be using a MacBook? Anyone remember that?

I do think that I remember somebody from Microsoft saying that a while ago also, but I can't recall who.

I do know that some higher up at Samsung uses all Apple products, and I do remember that.

I use a Mac, actually, at home. I’ve always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad…

http://macdailynews.com/2012/12/13/samsung-chief-strategy-officer-i-use-apple-mac-iphone-and-ipad/

• Reply 22 of 48
    I might have paid $30 or even $40, but $80 is just obscene. No sale.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Just goes to show that Microsoft does have people or at least did that can create something 'beautiful'. The talent is there, they just have to harness it.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Clearly he hasn't haha. Well it's still a great deal when you consider the price of the actual book. The only unfortunate thing is the fact that it's the 'at home' edition and not the regular modernist cuisine. It's still a great deal though. And it's from inkling. Which is the same company that makes the CIA's (Culinary Institute of America) the professional chef app. Which is also based on their text of the same name. And that one is $49.99 I believe. Also cheaper than the real text. And having these on an iPad would make 'lugging' them around a hell of a lot easier on the back lol
  • Reply 25 of 48
    We'll you don't necessarily have to spend a dime to get it. Just do a little research and grab the PDF of it. Then upload to your iPad and viola! All done. It won't be interactive whatsoever. But at least you'd have the text and it won't cost you a thing.

Here you go: http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/7153205/Modernist_Cuisine_-_The_Art_and_Science_of_Cooking_[Vol_1-6]_(HQ
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Uh oh, did my two posts not reply to the users I meant to reply to? The first was for Macky the Macky and the second was to macsimcon. Oh well, as you all can clearly see. I'm new at this lol
  • Reply 27 of 48

Really, a review based on expectations? That's like Obama getting the Peace Price for what he said he would do in the future. How stupid! 

Also, 9 months to create this app? 10-15 Developers (what, he does not know how many he hired?) and the result was only

Quote:

The result is a interactive work that includes 37 technique videos, 416 recipes and 1,683 photos.

I'm not purchasing this just to see how 'stunning' it is, but I can't see how it took that long to create a cookbook app. I should have stopped reading at Microsoft. 

• Reply 28 of 48
    Looks like synchronised reporting. I saw an article about this app on iLounge as well. That had a picture of the app showing cooking using the Sous Vide method.

I know a restaurant in India that bought the Sous Vide cooking appliance for $45k. Looks like it is not just the cooking method and accessories, but also the recipes that are really expensive!
  • Reply 29 of 48

Who was the Microsoft VP who said if he weren't working for Microsoft, he'd be using a MacBook? Anyone remember that?

Longtime Windows development chief James Allchin wrote in a January 2004 e-mail to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and company co-founder Bill Gates that the software vendor had “lost sight” of customers’ needs and said he would buy a Mac if he wasn’t working for Microsoft.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1054364/allchin.html
  • Reply 30 of 48
    fh-ace wrote: »
    $80 US? Well it certainly is priced like a Microsoft app. Looks beautiful, but that's a lot of cabbage for a cook book...

The original set of cookbooks were extraordinarily expensive, so $80 is nothing in comparison.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    pdxfrogdog wrote: »
    I would like to be able to support Modernist Cuisine, but Myhrvold's "real" job as co-founder of Intellectual Ventures (aka one of the biggest patent trolls) means no thanks.

That's an utterly irrational argument. More likely, you have no need for a haute cuisine/molecular gastronomy cookbook anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 48

I can't believe the shoddiness of the writing of this "article" --

1) First off, anyone who claims to be a "journalist" should know that there are two Modernist Cuisine products -- the original multi-volume set that was aimed at professionals and cost hundreds of dollars.  Which this app is NOT. 

This app is actually the singular (although still pretty spectacular) volume for home chefs called Modernist Cuisine...at Home.  That book, which I own, is around $100.

2) I don't know how this product announcement totally derailed into some crazy rant about the failure of the Surface.  I read AppleInsider because I like Apple products, but I really don't need the sensationalist nature that this site is increasingly taking to as the writing style.

2) is even more egregious because it seems no time was devoted to looking up what the heck the product is (just by a simple search on Amazon you'll see the two books!  The trailer for this app even uses the "At Home" cover!) and yet so much time was devoted to writing another scathing, "oh look, another reason why Surface is failing" BS "article"

• Reply 33 of 48

Microsoft has confirmed the new CEO You can see his Genius face here http://ow.ly/qPsLd

• Reply 34 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Yikes, the only time I eat food that fancy is when my work is paying for it due to wining and dining foreign visitors. 

I have two iPad cooking apps, one by Jamie Oliver and one by Nigella Lawson, both of whom make more wholesome and hearty food than cuisine.

• Reply 35 of 48
    "The Web is there, it's open, it's free, so why do you need 700,000 apps?"

So I can offer my clients/customers a highly customized user experience, you dumb ass.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking by Nathan Myhrvold Hardcover $525.73 on sale at Amazon. w00t!!!

This is the single volume "at home" edition which is normally $140 in hardback.

The $500 version is a five volume set that is geared toward those whose kitchen is more of a laboratory.

I am torn over supporting this due to his patent troll ways.

• Reply 37 of 48
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Expensive indeed Not cheap, no. Then again, 9 months for a whole team...they gotta eat.

I didn't see a link in the article:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/modernist-cuisine-at-home/id731685730?l=en&mt=8

Those developers that need to eat would probably end up with more $$$ at the end of the day if they priced the app at $2.99. Millions would buy it as opposed to (at most) thousands.

Thompson
  • Reply 38 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

And Tim Cook was recruited from Compaq.  I guess Apple's doomed to fail now.

• Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ganirai32 View Post

Microsoft has confirmed the new CEO You can see his Genius face here http://ow.ly/qPsLd

I think it's going to be Alan Mullally. He's been an excellent CEO for Ford and he has an engineering background. Technology wouldn't scare him and he should be able to go after Microsoft's money losing divisions and sell them off or kill them without any problems. With an internal hire or someone with connections inside Microsoft, they would be less willing and able to make the tough decisions Microsoft needs now.

• Reply 40 of 48
    thompr wrote: »
    ... if they priced the app at $2.99. Millions would buy it as opposed to (at most) thousands.

Thompson

That indeed must be the most difficult descision developers have to make: pricing. If they had a team of 15 working on it for 9 months @ 50k/year that could cost (over here, in NL):

50,000 x 1.6 (about the overhead costs for employers) x 15 / 12 x 9 = $900,000. Charging $80 would require 11,250 downloads. Charging $2,99 comes to 300M purchases. Excluding hardware, dev license, offices, photo & video equipment and and all that jazz.

Purely speculating here, obviously.