serious iPod problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi there I need some help,

my iPod seemed to be gone mad.

Whenever I connect it to my Mac it shows the Apple logo (that's normal, heh) and then it goes into a "harddisk repair mode" (at least it looks like this). I see a rotating cd/harddisk symbol and some kind of animated tool cleaning/repairing it. I'm not sure what it does. Anybody seen this yet?

Now what's really bad is that when it has finished doing that, my iPod restarts, shows the Apple logo and goes into this stupid repair mode AGAIN (whatever that is).

When I disconnect the firewire-cable I can navigate through my iPod normally. However, all files are gone. No playlists. Nothing.

The iPod Software Updater says that no iPod is mounted/connected so I can't format it using that utility. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Do a hard reset and let the batteries run completely dry. then reconnect it to the mac, and see if the problem is still there. Hard reset=hold down play and menu at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    If that doesn't work (and it didn't on mine), it's dead. Call up AppleCare. Mine went to be repaired last wednesday, and this morning I received a brand new one still in its wrapping!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Apple has been very good on problems under warranty for the iPod. My iPod went dead 11 months after I purchased it. I returned it to Apple and they sent a new one. Took about 6 days all told and they paid for all shipping.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i just got a free one too due to a bad battery after owning my 10giger for about 10months...tho i am wondering..

do i now get an extra years coverage now since it technically IS a new ipod?

(or perhaps i am being just a bit greedy now )
  • Reply 5 of 8
    No you don't. You get either the rest of the original warranty, or 30 days cover on the repair, whichever is longer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    No extension on the warranty. It says so in the papers sent along with the replacement. Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    me bad...i had it serviced in japan, the documentation that i got back with the Free iPod was all in japanese so I just natually ignored it.

Thanks for the info. (my original warranty is still good til the end of march)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by ijerry:

<strong>Do a hard reset and let the batteries run completely dry. then reconnect it to the mac, and see if the problem is still there. Hard reset=hold down play and menu at the same time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That worked... Phew. Thanks a bunch!