Apple allegedly shaking up supply chain as manufacturers no longer obtain components

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

…and yes, I know where Silicon comes from…

Silly cones?

• Reply 42 of 59
    Regarding GORE and Energy Star. Gore is the same guy who had a palatial house with every light in it turned on according to one photograph I saw. Gore was a hypocrite because at the same time he was advocating energy saving by all Americans--except of course, him. He was "told" to tone it down. What else did he need, he already invented the internet?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Here's the thing though.  If robotic manufacturing explodes as we hope in this country, there won't be enough locally trained engineers and skilled technicians to oversee those factories.  We will need to make sure the educational system and skilled immigration programs are up to the job.

Second, this will contribute to the further bifurcation of the economy into a higher income sector of capital owners and highly skilled, knowledge-based workers and a vast lower income sector that will make up the rest of society who sell man-hours not knowledge to make a living.  In other words there will be people whose job involve pushing the buttons that make machines run, there will be people whose job is to make sure the machines run when the button is pushed, and there will be people who own the button (and the machines that they run).  Your prospects in life depend on who you are and what you do relative to the button.

I especially like your last paragraph... it has an interesting perspective. However, moving ahead a bit more: We are within decades (circa 2030 to 2045) of complex machines being able to make other higher complex machines (a la 3D printed metal components). At the same time AI advancing to where simpler computers being smarter than humans at programming other computers with more smarts than the programming computers... so we arrive at a point that super intelligence is creating things we cannot understand with our limited minds (and by the time we sort of figure something out, the super-intelligence has moved so much further ahead we understand it even less. What will this do to the "highly skilled, knowledge-based workers" in your paragraph above? We are only talking about life 15 or so hence...within the productive lifetime of some current "knowledge-based workers." It's a future I struggle to imagine.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    bobbyfozz wrote: »
    Regarding GORE and Energy Star. Gore is the same guy who had a palatial house with every light in it turned on according to one photograph I saw. Gore was a hypocrite because at the same time he was advocating energy saving by all Americans--except of course, him. He was "told" to tone it down. What else did he need, he already invented the internet?

I think that while Gore had a lot of bright bulbs, he is sort of a dim bulb himself... as are most politicians. He is well connected politically, and that may be his greatest contribution on the board...besides his rarified view of the planet...
  • Reply 45 of 59
    neotheta wrote: »
    This should dramatically reduce the supply chains rumors as well.

One can hope.

While It may well reduce the number of rumors, those that do get spun will likely be based on more guessing and therefore less accurate. Since we are on the subject has anyone here heard of the rumor that apple's next release of iDevices will be based on organic molecules? As I understand it the cases will absorb chemicals from the user's hands and breath to greatly extend the power the circuitry...which in itself will be completely run in a state of fuzzy logic; much like how the human brain is wired.

Very interesting if true.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    bobbyfozz wrote: »

I think that while Gore had a lot of bright bulbs, he is sort of a dim bulb himself... as are most politicians. He is well connected politically, and that may be his greatest contribution on the board...besides his rarified view of the planet...

The dim bulbs are the people claiming that he said he invented the internet. He made no such claim.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    The dim bulbs are the people claiming that he said he invented the internet. He made no such claim.

I read it on the internet... you can't get more accurate than that!!
  • Reply 48 of 59
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    His also gives Apple more direct control over monitoring labor, safety, pollution issues instead of third parties contracting with suppliers without Apple in the loop. As to the Arizona sapphire component plant, it only makes since to hold the technology Crown Jewels here rather than doing it in Asia to better protect their IP from getting knocked off.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I don't want to say too much about it , but Al Gore is the impetus behind Apple's coming space program¿

Also, for real, he's the only politician who could legitimately be called a futurist, and of course he's such an environmentalist that he could never be elected unless there's a major die-off of the SUV party.

For all we know, he could be one the main ones pushing for Apple's impressive renewable energy investments at its data centers and other buildings.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    In addition, going forward OEMs will not be required to maintain standing component inventories, which DigiTimes claims will also reduce pressure on those partners.

As for what Apple's alleged changes in component procurement mean for the company going forward, Cook himself has cautioned that attempts to read into pieces of data regarding the supply chain are foolish endeavors.

Isn't it magical how in all but the most ineptly written sentences, the pretentious, redundant, business speak phrase, "going forward," can be removed—resulting in a far more direct and clear communication?

I guess because eliminating it is so magical, nobody believes they can do it . . . going forward.

• Reply 51 of 59
    Bottom line is, going forward we're just going to kick the can down the road. Having said that, we could push the envelope and think outside the box. Are we are all on the same page here?
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Bottom line is, going forward we're just going to kick the can down the road. Having said that, we could push the envelope and think outside the box. Are we are all on the same page here?

Yes we are.

Your observation is "impactful!"

• Reply 53 of 59
    Thanks. At the end of the day, it's all about the bells and whistles.

Edit: I wish it was the end.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    This story really intrigues me because it brings to mind the long-obsolete Soviet mantra of centralized planning. If Tim Cook can make it work so well, how come Stalin couldn't?
  • Reply 55 of 59
    The repeated use of "going forward" grates. Please desist.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    sog35 wrote: »
    Cook pays better and based on merit.  Also helps that Cook does not execute dead weight.

Ha! You mean he doesn't execute the intellectuals?
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Just-in-time manufacturing can save money, but you've got to be extremely careful not to single-source components. And that avoidance of single-sourcing means not even having them come from the same locale. If a quake or typhoon takes out the only factories making a key component, you're in big, big trouble.

Sometimes I worry that our world is getting a bit too interconnected and interdependent. My father grew up on a farm where they grew or made almost everything they needed. In a pinch, that almost everything could become everything. Not so today. Even worse, there are many, many people who wouldn't know what to do if their electricity or water failed.

I'm not a prepper, but there is something to their fears.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    timmillea wrote: »
    The repeated use of "going forward" grates. Please desist.

Yes, use "At the end of the day..." or "On a forward-looking basis..." instead. ;)