Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    crowley wrote: »
    Sure they should, but:
    1. If they're pushing that same update and unusable apps to other Apple TVs around the world then they're just wasting people's time and bandwidth.
    2. If they're pushing apps out that people don't want because they either require a subscription, or they've got niche appeal then they should offer a much more apparent way to either not install the app at all (preferable), or to hide it from view.
    You do it once until Apple adds an update and then you need to do it again.  Meanwhile, my Apple TV's storage is being bloated by useless apps when I'd much rather be given some choice about which ones I want - the mythical Apple TV App Store that everyone expects.

Plus, as I said, turning on Restrictions on my Apple TV seems to make a passcode authentication screen pop up whenever I want to buy anything; which pisses me off.  I'm the only person using my Apple TV, I don't need "restrictions", I want "options".

You know, you could subscribe to a DNS service that allows you to access those content. Except for the ones requiring US cable subscription to activate, of course. But the other ones can easily be accessed by these DNS services. Doesn't cost much to subscribe to one, and some are even free, albeit less user-friendly.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

So over 1/3rd of their income comes from a single country, and that happens to be the country they reside and you think they should ignore that highly lucrative market? Good one!

And you fail you recognize that Apple has continually grown in markets outside the US by working hard to appeal to those other markets.

I never said they should ignore it. But almost a quarter of their income comes from Europe and we have nowhere near the features in the things I mentioned as the U.S. does. 

• Reply 63 of 74
    trippy wrote: »
    I never said they should ignore it. But almost a quarter of their income comes from Europe and we have nowhere near the features in the things I mentioned as the U.S. does. 

You so realize the US is a single country unlike the continent of Europe, right?
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

You so realize the US is a single country unlike the continent of Europe, right?

I would expect no less of anyone here to make excuses for Apple and to depend them come-what-may. You're doing a grand job.

• Reply 65 of 74
    Originally Posted by trippy View Post

I would expect no less of anyone here to make excuses for Apple and to depend them come-what-may. You're doing a grand job.

Neither of you is entirely in the right here, so just drop it now, maybe?

• Reply 66 of 74
    Did anyone else have problems completing the activation using Safari? I was able to type in the activation code, but then had to register an account by clicking either the Facebook icon, Google+ icon or the PBS icon. Clicking on any icon did nothing. I had to do it on Firefox. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 67 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post

You know, you could subscribe to a DNS service that allows you to access those content. Except for the ones requiring US cable subscription to activate, of course. But the other ones can easily be accessed by these DNS services. Doesn't cost much to subscribe to one, and some are even free, albeit less user-friendly.

I could, except:

1. I'd have to pay more or go to effort to sort it out.

2. It's grey-area legality.

3. I don't have any interest in that content.

Naturally the third makes the first two somewhat irrelevant anyway, and gets to the crux of what it's so annoying that Apple keeps adding crud that I don't want onto the Apple TV (as well as iOS generally).  Most everyone here acclaims Apple for keeping carrier bullshit off their iPhones, but there's a tolerance when Apple stuffs the screens full of their own bloatware.  Different rules, apparently.

• Reply 68 of 74
    saarek wrote: »
    More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!
    As long as they don't perform a geographical check like Netflix does, I'm happy as a clam. Wonderful content on PBS, right here in Hong Kong.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    saarek wrote: »
    thecore wrote: »

REALLY?    Do you know what PBS is?    You might want to open your mind instead of clogging our screen with 
    hate filled  Sh*t   ,  we can't use.
    Well it's The Public Broadcasting Service which is an American broadcaster if I am not mistaken. Not really seeing how another American channel is going to help anyone who is not, well..... American.
    Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 70 of 74
    jupiterone wrote: »
    Did anyone else have problems completing the activation using Safari? I was able to type in the activation code, but then had to register an account by clicking either the Facebook icon, Google+ icon or the PBS icon. Clicking on any icon did nothing. I had to do it on Firefox. :rolleyes:
    I activated PBS on Facebook using Safari in Mavericks. No problems at all.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    tonton wrote: »
    I activated PBS on Facebook using Safari in Mavericks. No problems at all.
    I was able to activate, but not sign in or create an account. When I get the screen with 3 icons (Facebook, Google+ and PBS), nothing happens when I click them. I don't know if it's a settings thing or what.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. image

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View PostView Post

Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. image

Last I checked, I couldn't access BBC content. That's not Apple's fault.

• Reply 73 of 74
    john.b wrote: »

Indeed, Apple isn't at fault here. Certainly would hope they can convince all studios to give them a la carte channels, on demand, and accessible anywhere in the world.

But I think this is a dreamed-up world.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. image

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View PostView Post

Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. image

The point is that you CAN watch PBS outside of the US on the Apple TV. I do it right here in Hong Kong.