ipod and etching

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok... interested in getting an ipod... i want to etch one line into the back... Education=469... Education + one line of etching=518... 49 BUCKS??? wtf? that's insane! Is there anywhere else to get it etched?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I wouldn't trust anyone I couldn't reach in person with that expensive of a little toy. I'm sure there are jewelry shops in your area that do laser engraving. Just call around to see who would do it for you, but don't tell them how much Apple quoted you unless they quote you higher, and even then, lie. It shouldn't cost more than $15-25 IMHO.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    When you realize that Apple has to take your little beauty, send it somewhere else, have them scribble your polite phrases of technological hero worship on it, collect it and them mail it back to you all safe and snug in its little box, then yeah... I could see it costing 49 bucks.

To do it yourself will be cheaperr. Just hope the person doing it doesn't sneez or anything while they have that vibrating instrument near your sensitive electronic equipment.

Does anyone know if they remove the back to engrave it or if they just write on it with an etcher?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by nosey:

<strong>When you realize that Apple has to take your little beauty, send it somewhere else, have them scribble your polite phrases of technological hero worship on it, collect it and them mail it back to you all safe and snug in its little box, then yeah... I could see it costing 49 bucks.

To do it yourself will be cheaperr. Just hope the person doing it doesn't sneez or anything while they have that vibrating instrument near your sensitive electronic equipment.

Does anyone know if they remove the back to engrave it or if they just write on it with an etcher?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's laser engraving. There's no etcher, there's no vibrating instruments. There isn't any sneezing, because it's done by machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    The machine that laser engraves will do a nice pretty job, but you might want to let the jeweler know the replacement cost of the iPod and ask what will happen if a mistake is made. I say this because I once got a drama award with Markk engraved on it instead of Mark. It was a simple typo when the machine was programmed and the plaque was replaced without charge, but an iPod is a lot more expensive than a hunk of wood with some metal screwed to it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    iPod's are part of the digital hub, moving now....

-alcimedes
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thanks for the input guys... I think that i'd be kinda wary about letting someone near it also... i'll have to check around I suppose...

Thanks!