Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Things I would like to see:

- 4K over Thunderbolt 2 supporting video driver for Macbook Pro 2013

- H.265 video codec, and iTunes detects this codec on your system and tells the Store, and your HD movies files are smaller and download faster

- Page turning animation in iBooks (iOS 7 has it)

- The toolbar and titlebar on windows to be separate things again

- Some more choices of monospaced font for the Terminal

- A System Preference for a dark or light Dock

- The OS to not spin up all my external drives when I open a file dialog to pick something from the internal SSD

- The App Store to show which apps are sandboxed (I only use sandboxed apps)

- iTunes to remember the state of tabs when you switch away from them and come back later

- Option to disable versions and go back to the traditional open/save file model.

• Reply 22 of 44
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    ascii wrote: »
    - The OS to not spin up all my external drives when I open a file dialog to pick something from the internal SSD
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">- Option to</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">disable versions</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">and</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">go back to the </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">traditional open/save file model.</span>

Ugh. Amen. Windows does this too and it's so irritating. System pauses for a moment while external drives spin up, regardless of whether or not I'm actually utilizing them for a transfer. Slows everything down.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

- Option to disable versions and go back to the traditional open/save file model.

System Preferences, General, check "Ask to keep changes when closing documents"

• Reply 24 of 44
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Mavericks broke back to my Mac for me. (and quite a few others)

Yeah... if they wanted to go ahead and fix that, that'd be terrific. Mmmkay?

• Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

System Preferences, General, check "Ask to keep changes when closing documents"

Thanks for that, but I knew about that checkbox. What I meant by an "option to disable versions" was something a bit more comprehensive: a checkbox that stops the OS creating a SQL lite DB with extra copies of my data in it, and just read and write to the document file like the old days.

• Reply 26 of 44
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Thanks for that, but I knew about that checkbox. What I meant by an "option to disable versions" was something a bit more comprehensive: a checkbox that stops the OS creating a SQL lite DB with extra copies of my data in it, and just read and write to the document file like the old days.

Anyone know why Apple was so enamored with the versions concept?  I understand it makes documents more idiot-proof but at the same time it makes it harder (or more strange) for non-idiots, too.

• Reply 27 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

- 4K over Thunderbolt 2 supporting video driver for Macbook Pro 2013

- H.265 video codec, and iTunes detects this codec on your system and tells the Store, and your HD movies files are smaller and download faster

- Page turning animation in iBooks (iOS 7 has it)

- The toolbar and titlebar on windows to be separate things again

- Some more choices of monospaced font for the Terminal

- A System Preference for a dark or light Dock

- The App Store to show which apps are sandboxed (I only use sandboxed apps)

- iTunes to remember the state of tabs when you switch away from them and come back later

www.apple.com/feedback

• Reply 28 of 44
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Quote:

Anyone know why Apple was so enamored with the versions concept?  I understand it makes documents more idiot-proof but at the same time it makes it harder (or more strange) for non-idiots, too.

If all you do is write letters to Auntie Beth, then versions are useless. If you work in any sort of collaborative work environment on real projects, versions are great. I would just prefer a different sort of interface that would keep file saving semantics the same and would distinguish between auto-save and save, and user-initiated versions that also keep track of who made the changes, but that would go against Apple's desire to (over)simplify things. Given their drive to (over)simplify, versions turned out actually somewhat usable, although it's still confusing for dummies and not powerful enough for the people who really critically rely on document versioning (and e.g. require embedded document version IDs and an audit trail of who's accountable for which document changes).

• Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

If all you do is write letters to Auntie Beth, then versions are useless. If you work in any sort of collaborative work environment on real projects, versions are great. I would just prefer a different sort of interface that would keep file saving semantics the same and would distinguish between auto-save and save, and user-initiated versions that also keep track of who made the changes, but that would go against Apple's desire to (over)simplify things. Given their drive to (over)simplify, versions turned out actually somewhat usable, although it's still confusing for dummies and not powerful enough for the people who really critically rely on document versioning (and e.g. require embedded document version IDs and an audit trail of who's accountable for which document changes).

I agree. Corporate users need something more powerful, and home users, well the hourly backups of Time Machine should be enough for their typical use cases (recipes, letters, etc).

It was intended (I think) to solve the age old "problem" of having to press command-s once and a while, but it's such a deceptively big problem that they ended having to build this entire edifice in to NSDocument, a disproportionate amount of complexity for what it ultimately achieves. And architecturally one goal has to be to keep overall system complexity down, which means removing it where it is not giving bang for the buck. Versions needs to join the ObjC garbage collector in OS X heaven.

• Reply 30 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Safari 7 has been a disaster, so many bugs.

For you maybe.

• Reply 31 of 44
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

I agree. Corporate users need something more powerful, and home users, well the hourly backups of Time Machine should be enough for their typical use cases (recipes, letters, etc).

It was intended (I think) to solve the age old "problem" of having to press command-s once and a while, but it's such a deceptively big problem that they ended having to build this entire edifice in to NSDocument, a disproportionate amount of complexity for what it ultimately achieves. And architecturally one goal has to be to keep overall system complexity down, which means removing it where it is not giving bang for the buck. Versions needs to join the ObjC garbage collector in OS X heaven.

As is, I agree. But I think versions could be fixed by simply making a distinction between autosave and save. The regular cmd-s semantics should remain, and auto-save should happen in the background to a different fork in the version tree. That way, if the app crashes, etc. work can resume, but the what's saved is saved just like it used to be. Then, there should be a different command "save snapshot" which would be the same as saving a copy, except it appends a time stamp plus usershortID to the file, and it becomes an officially, user-created version of that file. Work groups, by setting proper permissions on the original of a file, could thus prevent overwriting the original and force version saving, which would automatically create an audit trail.

The storage mechanism could remain just what Apple uses now, but for the average user, it would just be a simple crash recovery system and otherwise regular file saving, and for people who need explicit versioning, it would be that, too.

But I guess Apple wants to avoid the "clutter" of actually versioned file names in the file system. Apple seems to want to go back to the MS-DOS days anyway, where apps owned data, instead of apps being tools that work on files that can be opened with whatever tool one likes to use.

That's why I hate the current iOS/AppStore climate: we're back to a proliferation of proprietary file formats, rather than having more competing tools that work on standard, interchangable document formats. We're back to app-centric rather than data/document or even task centric architecture. Easy for dummies, frustrating for anyone who used a computer for more than two weeks and knows that there's a different way. (everyone else just moo-ing accepts what is served on their platter, it seems).

• Reply 32 of 44

Have to admit I'm glad to see that others are also having system freeze issues with Safari on Mavericks instead of just me.  I have that maybe once or twice a day forcing a reboot, plus also the infernal scrolling problem.  Irritations.

So hopefully 10.9.1 will fix those Safari bugs.

• Reply 33 of 44
    Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

So hopefully 10.9.1 will fix those Safari bugs.

Why expect that when it’s a problem on the end and not the beginning?

• Reply 34 of 44
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

I'd appreciate it if Apple would at least treat Mac users like they treat Windows users, and not deprecate local USB sync in iTunes. iCloud really sucks big time - lost data, duplicate Contact list, empty calendars, slows iPhones to a crawl - man, it's just awful.

I don't know what our sales and repair teams will do for syncing when they're out in the field with no internet - which is about 90% of their work day. I guess they'll need to manually replicate events, appointments and contacts by entering them again and again on each Apple instrument. Of course, if they used Windows, Apple would still support their work.

We bought all this shit because it synched the way it did & now it doesn't. Nice.

Mavericks Mail.app is awful, it needs serious attention. Safari has too many bugs & crashes. There's a chance every day that data someplace gets corrupted in 10.9.

• Reply 35 of 44
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member

I have a reproduceable freeze (I sent feedback to Apple) that is very annoying to me. When I disconnect an external screen connected to my MB, go to sleep, wake up, use the MB without an external screen, sleep again, wake up and connect the external screen again, Mavericks freezes when logging out.  Or put in other words, I cannot switch between office and travel envrionment as I used to do.  Looking at the Apple forums I am not the only one with the issue.

What needs improvement in term of features:

- empty the trash bin per connected drive, so I can make free space on an USB stick without emptying the whole trashbin

- Finder needs to have an option to take care of hidden files and symbolic links

- iTunes needs to support FLAC

- The current state of versions is the main reason for me to drop iWorks. Adding a label to a version (like svn or git do) would really be welcome.  It makes me changes the way I work which I don't like. Opening a readonly file, making changes and then later discarding the changes is currently not possible.

• Reply 36 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I hope they fix scrolling in Safari. It's not as smooth as it was in prior versions, due to the horizontal movement ability that doesn't belong there in scrolling (causes jumps on release). It currently is too sensitive and shouldn't allow horizontal motion anyway, if the page isn't scrollable.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cropr wrote: »
    What needs improvement in term of features:
     - empty the trash bin per connected drive, so I can make free space on an USB stick without emptying the whole trashbin
     - Finder needs to have an option to take care of hidden files and symbolic links
     - iTunes needs to support FLAC
     - The current state of versions is the main reason for me to drop iWorks. Adding a label to a version (like svn or git do) would really be welcome.  It makes me changes the way I work which I don't like. Opening a readonly file, making changes and then later discarding the changes is currently not possible.

- Not going to happen. That's just not something the average user will ever need to do. However there is a solution for you with a simple Terminal command which you can easily make into an app with Automator: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080702072311965
    - Not sure what you mean by this one.
    - iTunes will never support FLAC if they haven't already but that doesn't mean you can't store your audio in iTunes as lossless, but I assume you know that already if you're familiar with FLAC.
    - If it's read-only why are trying to make changes to it?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    zaba wrote: »
    There are some system freezes still occurring with safari that urgently need addressing.

Not seen that although AI's blog was crashing every time I did an edit until this update, seems to have stopped but that could be coincidence I guess.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I hope they fix scrolling in Safari. It's not as smooth as it was in prior versions, due to the horizontal movement ability that doesn't belong there in scrolling (causes jumps on release). It currently is too sensitive and shouldn't allow horizontal motion anyway, if the page isn't scrollable.

I agree, my Magic Mouse and Safari can be tricky after a couple of Gin and Tonics! It's like ... 'Wow there boy ... I didn't want to go sideways there' ... of 'stop wobbling side to side so I can select that button!'
  • Reply 40 of 44
    matt_s wrote: »
    I'd appreciate it if Apple would at least treat Mac users like they treat Windows users, and not deprecate local USB sync in iTunes. iCloud really sucks big time - lost data, duplicate Contact list, empty calendars, slows iPhones to a crawl - man, it's just awful.

I don't know what our sales and repair teams will do for syncing when they're out in the field with no internet - which is about 90% of their work day. I guess they'll need to manually replicate events, appointments and contacts by entering them again and again on each Apple instrument. Of course, if they used Windows, Apple would still support their work.

We bought all this shit because it synched the way it did & now it doesn't. Nice.

Mavericks Mail.app is awful, it needs serious attention. Safari has too many bugs & crashes. There's a chance every day that data someplace gets corrupted in 10.9.

I'm thinking you have some serious issues with your set up and or internet there. I have none of the iCloud issues you have.

Sync with a cable? Seriously? Where are your folks working that they cannot get a signal, I don't doubt you, just curious.

BTW, what Mail app issues do you still have after the last round of updates for 10.9? Mine seem to have all cleared up but I am on 10.9.1 hence asking.