Rumor: Cook, top Apple execs to discuss $4B iPad deal with Turkish president

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    It's too bad you don't understand the profound benefits of an ipad to an autistic person. Dr. Sanjay Gupta did a fascinating story about this. Prior to the iPad there were kids that the teachers could not get Through to. With iPads the kids were typing questions they have been wondering for years.

iTunes U allows anyone to sit in on many high level classes. Believe it or not, there re underprivileged kids with the smarts to tap into that and benefit immensely. Sorry your worldview is limited.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Err no, iPad hasn't revealed anything that wasn't already known. Many autistic people have exceptional intelligence and depending upon how they are impacted can be very functional people. Many mathematicians have what might be called a form of autism. Today the iPad has revealed something that is already known isn't helpful. It is good though that it is an alternative form of communications with these people.

There appears to be a lot of evidence that counters what you say and agrees with palomine. I think Dick Applebaum might have personal experience with this.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    solipsismx wrote: »
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Err no, iPad hasn't revealed anything that wasn't already known. Many autistic people have exceptional intelligence and depending upon how they are impacted can be very functional people. Many mathematicians have what might be called a form of autism. Today the iPad has revealed something that is already known isn't helpful. It is good though that it is an alternative form of communications with these people.

There appears to be a lot of evidence that counters what you say and agrees with palomine. I think Dick Applebaum might have personal experience with this.

Not personal experience, but awareness like this:

[VIDEO]<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77080625" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>[/VIDEO]
    A voice for my son

Charlie, 6 years old, is diagnosed with autism and a speech disability. His mother, Rebecca, recognised that Charlie was different early on. No one believed her so she had to advocate for him and go through the process by herself. She got Charlie diagnosed, and bought Proloquo2Go for his iPad.

Charlie works really hard to improve his speech, which also has a positive effect on his behavior. About a year ago, the hard work paid off, when Charlie said “Mummy” for the very first time. “I’m so proud of him”, said Rebecca in this video shot at the Warringa Park School in Victoria, Australia.

http://www.assistiveware.com/voice-my-son

Consider what it must mean to someone who cannot speak to communicate basic things like: order a meal at a restaurant, ask to use the bathroom... or tell you what they feel and think...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    From the news it sounds as if Turkey is well on the way to becoming another corrupt country that hates the West. Why would they be interested in Apple products then? Just wonder if the Muslims have managed to start enforcing Sharia law in Turkey yet? I guess it's too late to visit Turkey - I get the impression that Americans are about as welcome as bubonic plague.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Apparently nobody reads the news... major corruption scandal over the past few days involving Erdo?an's cabinet, leading to anti-government street protests, violence, and blaming the West. iPads are probably the last thing on his mind right now.

Are you kidding? With Erdogan's political career nearing the end, Gül is ready to plan the country's future as he likes better. And it will possibly be a much better future.

• Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mgumus View Post

Apple has to establish some kind of technology center, or a factory in Turkey

Judging from other types of production, Turkish quality seems to be better than Chinese's, and there is probably less politics in between. However, I doubt Turkey can start the type of mass production that is currently done in China. Maybe they could manufacture the Mac Pros for Europe and Middle East?

• Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

From the news it sounds as if Turkey is well on the way to becoming another corrupt country that hates the West.

So, it seems that only Fox channels can be received in your area, isn't it?

• Reply 28 of 28
    konqerror wrote: »
    Apparently nobody reads the news... major corruption scandal over the past few days involving Erdo?an's cabinet, leading to anti-government street protests, violence, and blaming the West. iPads are probably the last thing on his mind right now.

Agreed. There are some serious problems surfacing in Turkey.

Tim, get paid up front or back out of this thing:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/26/world/europe/turkish-cabinet-members-resign.html?hpw=&rref=world