Rumor: LG hopes to catch up to Apple with fingerprint sensor in next-gen Android phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So 64-bit in a mobile chip is a gimmick, then Qualcomm and Samsung announce they'll have 64-bit chips in 2014. Same thing with touch ID. Media labels it a gimmick, then HTC puts one in a phone and now Samsung and LG are rumored to be working on something for their mobile devices. image

At the current moment it is because there is no software or hardware now or in the immediate future that will take advantage of the benefits 64 bit brings on a mobile device, ie have more than four GB of system RAM., the iphone 5s only has one GB.

They are only doing it because the average consumer just looks at the number and will think it is superior but when you look at the specs of the phones none of them come close to having enough system RAM for 64 bit to make any difference.

• Reply 22 of 113
    Lead and they. Shall follow.

I'm surprises Scamsung didn't say they make a 128-bit chip :no:

Don't you mean 65- bit? That extra bit is the S-bit.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    richard getz 12/27/2013 09:45 AM
    How is everyone doing with Touch ID? Mine is quite flaky, working about 20% of the time.

Mine works 99% of the time. Index finger on one hand and thumb on the other
  • Reply 24 of 113
    [Quote name="Noliving" url="/t/161372/rumor-lg-hopes-to-catch-up-to-apple-with-fingerprint-sensor-in-next-gen-android-phone#post_2450332"]At the current moment it is because there is no software or hardware now or in the immediate future that will take advantage of the benefits 64 bit brings on a mobile device, ie have more than four GB of system RAM., the iphone 5s only has one GB.

They are only doing it because the average consumer just looks at the number and will think it is superior but when you look at the specs of the phones none of them come close to having enough system RAM for 64 bit to make any difference.
    [/quote]

:sigh:
  • Reply 25 of 113
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

At the current moment it is because there is no software or hardware now or in the immediate future that will take advantage of the benefits 64 bit brings on a mobile device, ie have more than four GB of system RAM., the iphone 5s only has one GB.

Don’t post about 64-bit again until you’ve educated yourself.

• Reply 26 of 113
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    noliving wrote: »

No more posts till you do some reading. Start here:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/apples-64-bit-a7-already-powering-advanced-new-audio-video-features-in-apps-and-games
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Almost 100% functional. About a month ago, however, touch ID stopped working entirely. Had to reboot the iPhone. The iPhone is never off, otherwise.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

There is more to 64-bit than just RAM, but in all fairness Apple shills would have you believe the jump is substantial. According to Futuremark running 64-bit software on the iPhone 5S only offers up to 7% improved performance over 32-bit software. 

"We started our investigation by compiling a 64-bit version of 3DMark, since the version available in the App Store is 32-bit in order to be compatible with older Apple devices. 

Once we had a 64-bit build we tested an iPhone 5s under controlled conditions in our Test Lab. As expected, we found that the results from the 64-bit version were similar to the 32-bit version, with only a 7 percent improvement. That is not enough to change the ranking of the iPhone 5s in our Best Mobile Devices list." Futuremark

• Reply 29 of 113
    The android version will require the user to [I]lick the screen[/I] to unlock the phone.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    vaporland wrote: »
    The android version will require the user to lick the screen to unlock it.

...only twice tho.
  • Reply 31 of 113

Is anyone else looking at the tag-alongs and their game of bigger numbers as getting to be stupid?

I am not talking about 32 vs 64-bit, which has been shown to have benefits in the majority of computing practices. As has been pretty well displayed in the computer field. What I am talking about is the recent trend to push the resolution of phone screens to stupid levels. This phone is talking about having a 1440x2560 resolution. If this phone has a 5.5" 16:9 screen then this will equate to a 534 ppi screen. This means that using the 1 arcminute of visual acuity for humans that is pretty widely accepted and supported that a person would have to hold this screen at about 6 inches from their eye to even resolve the individual pixels. Who uses their phone at this distance? In fact, this is about the closest that a touchscreen can practically be used because moving the screen much closer than this and it becomes physically difficult to use your finger without hitting yourself in the face.

And this isn't even as bad as the move to eight core processors. WTF! The benefits of this being useful in the majority of computing processes has already been shown to be negligible in the computing world. Sure, there are some applications where the more cores the better, but there are far more things that computers are used for where more cores gives little to no benefit as the process cannot be efficiently parallelized. When personal computers, as separate from workstations, haven't found a practical reason to move beyond quad-core processors in the last decade why does anyone think that a smartphone would benefit from this?

What a joke.

• Reply 32 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

There is more to 64-bit than just RAM, but in all fairness Apple shills would have you believe the jump is substantial. According to Futuremark running 64-bit software on the iPhone 5S only offers up to 7% improved performance over 32-bit software. 

"We started our investigation by compiling a 64-bit version of 3DMark, since the version available in the App Store is 32-bit in order to be compatible with older Apple devices. 

Once we had a 64-bit build we tested an iPhone 5s under controlled conditions in our Test Lab. As expected, we found that the results from the 64-bit version were similar to the 32-bit version, with only a 7 percent improvement. That is not enough to change the ranking of the iPhone 5s in our Best Mobile Devices list." Futuremark

I am not arguing that this is what they saw, but as always, the fact that this is an artificial benchmark has to be kept in mind. There are certain applications where the move to 64-bit *is* huge, much more than 7%. However, as with most things in technology, there are tradeoffs. There are some applications where the move to 64-bit actually will slow down the application. On the whole though the move to 64-bit is a good thing and as more and more applications move to 64-bit more applications will see benefits.

What I haven't figured out is all of these people deriding it because there is very little software optimized to take advantage of 64-bit. DUH! Did they actually believe that anyone would start optimizing for a system that doesn't exist? Someone had to make the first step to 64-bit so that developers would follow. Apple did it first, and as usual they will catch the flack for being the trailblazer, while the Android crowd will reap many of the benefits because of Apple's effort. In this case, when Android vendors get around to releasing 64-bit phones they will get more 64-bit optimized apps faster because many developers will have already done the heavy work to support iOS.

The fact still remains that it is easier to follow than to lead.

• Reply 33 of 113
    rogifan wrote: »
    So 64-bit in a mobile chip is a gimmick, then Qualcomm and Samsung announce they'll have 64-bit chips in 2014. Same thing with touch ID. Media labels it a gimmick, then HTC puts one in a phone and now Samsung and LG are rumored to be working on something for their mobile devices. :rolleyes:

noliving wrote: »

This is, of course, ludicrous. A 64 bit architecture offers 64 bit address buses, data buses and registers which provide independently verifiable, significant performance improvements.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

"Where is Samsung in all of this?"

The rumor chatter is Samsung is developing a retina scanner to top Touch ID.

And how exactly is this going to top Touch ID? The first thought that popped up in my head was: "Oh great, herds of people are now going to walk under the bus".

• Reply 35 of 113
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wish them luck but there are several parts to this that I don't think are easily tackled. Are they going to create their own SoC or at least create their own secure chip to store the encrypted hashes? Will they use sapphire crystal? Are they acquiring any companies to make this happen? And where is Samsung in all of this? I would have thought they would be first out of the gate with SSecure or something.

PS: I wonder if TouchID requires the increased security features of AArch64.

I haven't had any issues. I wonder if people are scanning in their prints in the manner that is shown on the graphic. Meaning, vertical and straight down in an unnatural position. I did mine on an angle in the position I would most likely try to do a scan when holding it with one hand.

some people's fingertips just don't register well for whatever reason - like my wife's. but Touch ID works fine for me on same phone. i helped her try to setup, so no difference there. obviously has to be something to do with her skin - it is kind of calloused.

• Reply 36 of 113
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

i'm sure all the other OEM's are "working on" some kind of biometric ID, fingerprints or whatever. but coming up with a reliable consumer product version is obviously very hard to do, since only Apple has succeeded so far. it will be very interesting to see how long it takes them to match Apple technology. 2014? we'll see. until then, all they got is hype.

and methods like facial recognition or retina scans or voice ID are not as flexible. Touch ID clearly has potential to be used for retail sales, third-party ID confirmation, etc., when the user needs to confirm something. how would you do that with facial recog - stick you tongue out? or retina scan - blink five times? or voice - speak your PIN out loud?

• Reply 37 of 113
    A retina scan is supposed to be more secure than a fingerprint scan.

History will let us all know if the retina scanner feature is more secure and useful than Touch ID.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    some people's fingertips just don't register well for whatever reason - like my wife's. but Touch ID works fine for me on same phone. i helped her try to setup, so no difference there. obviously has to be something to do with her skin - it is kind of calloused.

Interesting. With all the hinge being used for Touch ID I would have thought even a calloused finger would work.

Have you tried a different part of her finger? Like the first thumb knuckle or inside side of the thumb?
  • Reply 39 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

This is, of course, ludicrous. A 64 bit architecture offers 64 bit address buses, data buses and registers which provide independently verifiable, significant performance improvements.

Don't forget the new ISA which by itself is better suited for Obj-C but also has modern benefits that all OSes can benefit from.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

A retina scan is supposed to be more secure than a fingerprint scan.

History will let us all know if the retina scanner feature is more secure and useful than Touch ID.

The biggest benefit to a retina scan versus a fingerprint scan is that you don't leave your retina pattern on everything you look at, while you do leave your fingerprint on most things that you touch.

The biggest drawback to a retina scan versus a fingerprint scan is that it is harder to acquire in a small volume. Something which is necessary for usage on a mobile device. I personally hope that someone can pull it off. It would be great to have both on smartphones. Retina would be more secure for financial transactions, while fingerprint is more flexible. Could you imagine trying to unlock a phone with a retina scan while walking? I can see the lawsuits now. "I walked into a pole while trying to unlock my phone because it obscured my vision."