Good reporting, Daniel Eran Dilger

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Interesting article.  Just want to say hats off to Daniel, for getting a few things right that are usually missed in Apple's history including how much of today's world of the Internet & social media can trace back to Apple.  Notably the references to Hypercard, AppleLink, and eWorld.  AppleLink itself led to AOL when Apple wanted a consumer version. (The AOL service was originally a joint venture between Apple and the company that became AOL.)   Marc Andresson once told me that Hypercard was his inspiration for the browser.    David Bonnet told me that eWorld inspired GeoCities.  GeoCities very much sparked the popularization of home pages which eventually evolved into social network profile pages.  Salon was initially conceived at and initially funded by Apple.  Members of the core Apple online group left in 1996 to start LiveWorld whch created and run through 2001 a service called Talk City that was a precursor to today's social networks.  LiveWorld today manages for about 4,600 social properties for over 300 brands through a combination of software and services.  Hundreds of pioneers and drives of today's modern Internet and social media started at Apple, many in it's online services division (Reid Hoffman for example).  

How do I know all this?  I was the VP & GM of Apple's Online- Internet Services group (AppleLink - AOL - eWorld) and founded and still lead LiveWorld.   So I would know it, but most people don't .  Good research, Daniel! - Peter   Friedman (www.liveworld.com,   @liveworld   ; @peterfriedman.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Interesting article.  Just want to say hats off to Daniel, for getting a few things right that are usually missed in Apple's history including how much of today's world of the Internet & social media can trace back to Apple.  Notably the references to Hypercard, AppleLink, and eWorld.  AppleLink itself led to AOL when Apple wanted a consumer version. (The AOL service was originally a joint venture between Apple and the company that became AOL.)   Marc Andresson once told me that Hypercard was his inspiration for the browser.    David Bonnet told me that eWorld inspired GeoCities.  GeoCities very much sparked the popularization of home pages which eventually evolved into social network profile pages.  Salon was initially conceived at and initially funded by Apple.  Members of the core Apple online group left in 1996 to start LiveWorld whch created and run through 2001 a service called Talk City that was a precursor to today's social networks.  LiveWorld today manages for about 4,600 social properties for over 300 brands through a combination of software and services.  Hundreds of pioneers and drives of today's modern Internet and social media started at Apple, many in it's online services division (Reid Hoffman for example).  

How do I know all this?  I was the VP & GM of Apple's Online- Internet Services group (AppleLink - AOL - eWorld) and founded and still lead LiveWorld.   So I would know it, but most people don't .  Good research, Daniel! - Peter   Friedman (www.liveworld.com,   @liveworld    @peterfriedman.

He definitely has an excellent way of reporting, for sure. To which specific article are you referring to? There are quite a few on this site after he 'stopped' his own site http://www.roughlydrafted.com

TIA