NPD: Chromebook sales outperform MacBooks in commercial sector as iPad loses ground

Comments

• Reply 21 of 208
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Aren't Chromebooks being aggressively targeted at schools?

Which would explain why not many are seen around.
  • Reply 22 of 208

I suppose it needs to be said repeatedly, but this data excludes Apple's strongest three months of the year. How truly convenient. Indeed, the wonder is that iPads held the commanding lead they did, considering the last major revision prior to the iPad Air was at the beginning of March, 2011.

This is clearly doped data designed to eke out the last vestiges of PR for Apple's dead and dying competitors. And for that reason, don't expect to see a restatement of these numbers next month, after Apple drops the bomb on how many computers it sold over the last three months.

• Reply 23 of 208
    Here's the deal with Chromebooks: If you use the computer for web surfing, email, spreadsheets, word processing, social media, media viewing, or the things that mobile computers are used for 99% of the time, a Chromebook is just fine. If you need to run a specific piece of software that requires a windows or OSx computer, then you need a Windows or OSx computer.

My son had been pushing me to get a Chromebook Pixel for months, but I kept saying that I needed a computer that could run Windows apps. Finally he talked my wife into getting me the Chromebook Pixel for my birthday, and I have been using it daily since then. In the end I haven't yet found a legitimate case where I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the Chromebook. There is software that I don't run on my notebook, like PCB design or solidworks, but I wouldn't run that on a small notebook even if it was running Windows. In addition, just like a MAC, you can run windows or Linux on a Chromebook (at least on the Pixel), so you can run all Windows or Linux software.

As a sidenote; The Chromebook Pixel has the highest resolution display available on a notebook anywhere close to it's size (2560 x 1600), a touchscreen, and the best build quality I have ever seen on any notebook (including my family's several new Macbooks).
  • Reply 24 of 208
    I have to agree with the anecdotal observations.

Not saying that just because I have NEVER seen one in the wild, that this info is bogus... But it does make me wonder, if it is true, where the hell are they?

I go to work, University, and frequent coffee shops and libraries. I have not seen a single Chromebook anywhere. Not t school, in the coffee shops, no one in Accounting, HR, Graphics, Development, Marketing Legal, Management, or IT. Not a single department. I have seen 1, maybe 2 Surfaces. I know plenty of people with big Android phones, Nexus pads, and non Apple devices (as well as the majority with Apples), know some people with Chromecast. But where are these Chromebook people hiding?
  • Reply 25 of 208
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

A dirt-cheap netbook that sells well. 

Already saw this movie. Know how it ends, too.

Netbooks 2: Electric Googleoo!

• Reply 26 of 208
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I work at Best Buy and haven't set up a chrome book in 3 months, much less seen one bought. I have seen a few returned though.... Some people are interested in them until I tell them they can't use iTunes or office on it, then they quickly change their mind.
  • Reply 27 of 208
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It surprises me about the Chromebooks, I thought most corporate IT departments were massive Microsoft advocates.

• Reply 28 of 208
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As is common with statistics analysis you can find other sources that tend to dispute this one. Gruber (I can't remember if he's supposed to be trusted or not :\) cites StatCounter to question the Chromebook numbers, tho he doesn't dispute the good showing no matter which one is closer. (Thanks S." for the link)
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As is common with statistics analysis you can find other sources that tend to dispute this one. Gruber (I can't remember if he's supposed to be trusted or not :\) cites StatCounter to question the Chromebook numbers, tho he doesn't dispute the good showing no matter which one is closer. (Thanks S." for the link)
    Gruber won't just parrot some blog or analyst's numbers as fact.
    When talking about Chromebooks, he's just saying that pretty soon we should start seeing them appear in Web usage stats. Pretty logical if you ask me.
  • Reply 29 of 208
    To clarify my previous post: Chromebooks are perfect for K-12 classrooms. Content creation in this domain means writing papers, working with spreadsheets, and creating presentations. While iPads can do all of these things, Chromebooks can do them more efficiently and are much less expensive. There is still a place for iPads in education, but I think they are best suited for unique uses, such as special Ed, or closely targeted activities, such as math drills.
  • Reply 30 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,224member
    sog35 wrote: »
    And what if wifi is down or you are out on a field trip? Not everyone has wifi at home either. what about software? It's basically a useless brick without wifi

I don't know where you came up with the idea they can't be used without a wifi connection.. Read up on using Chromebooks off-line.
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en
  • Reply 31 of 208
    Sales numbers don't really matter, Android has told us that! What matters is how much profit is made, or even if a profit is being made. It tickles me how these analysts, journalist, researchers, and pundits couldn't pass a Business 101 class. I am not even sure they could run a profitable lemonade stand!
  • Reply 32 of 208

Chromebooks should be considered in separate product category from Macs and Windows PCs. Mac and PCs are devices you buy and own for the purpose of doing stuff, be it for fun or work. Chromebooks are Google's surveillance, data-mining, advertisement-delivery devices. That's the entire reason for their existence. In other words, their just like every other Google product or service.

I find it extraordinarily depressing that Google's sleazy business model has succeeded so wildly. It bothers me greatly that the vast majority of society isn't bothered by having a corporate behemoth track their every move and litter their existence with ads. You'd think at least techies would be appalled by it, but Google is the darling of the techie crowd. The success of this business model sets such a horrible precedent for the future of computing.

I sincerely hope there is always a company like Apple around that makes money the old fashion way: making computing products that people like me are willing to open our wallets and spend money on...products whose main purpose is not to be an electronic billboard.

• Reply 33 of 208
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

I, personally, think the ChromeOS numbers are 100% fictitious and a complete lie. If they were really selling in these numbers, we would be seeing massive climbs in web usage of these things (remember, all a ChromeBook is little more than a web browser). Instead we wee ChromeOS holding about 0.35% of all web browsing in the US based on StatCounter.

What are all of these ChromeBooks doing? Not being used for sure.

• Reply 34 of 208
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And yet, I've never once seen a chrome book in the wild.

Not at any corporate meeting, not in any cafe, not in any studios, not anywhere...

iPads galore. And more apple laptops than any other.

Somehow, this "info" seems very flawed.

No corporation has use for a chrome book.

I cannot speak for whether corporations have use from chrome books, but I do I agree that I have never seen one in use.

• Reply 35 of 208
    as the advert says when the lady ttys to sell her cromebook at pawn stars "it aint a real book id don't do windows and the money its worth might get you from vegas to reno or new york to hoboken. people shopping for presents aren't likely to spring for 3 i books for the kids so they cheap out and every kid gets something but like the man above says he hasn't seen one in public. its like picking up a date in a Hugo!
  • Reply 36 of 208
    Quote:

Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

Here's the deal with Chromebooks: If you use the computer for web surfing, email, spreadsheets, word processing, social media, media viewing, or the things that mobile computers are used for 99% of the time, a Chromebook is just fine. If you need to run a specific piece of software that requires a windows or OSx computer, then you need a Windows or OSx computer.

My son had been pushing me to get a Chromebook Pixel for months, but I kept saying that I needed a computer that could run Windows apps. Finally he talked my wife into getting me the Chromebook Pixel for my birthday, and I have been using it daily since then. In the end I haven't yet found a legitimate case where I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the Chromebook. There is software that I don't run on my notebook, like PCB design or solidworks, but I wouldn't run that on a small notebook even if it was running Windows. In addition, just like a MAC, you can run windows or Linux on a Chromebook (at least on the Pixel), so you can run all Windows or Linux software.

As a sidenote; The Chromebook Pixel has the highest resolution display available on a notebook anywhere close to it's size (2560 x 1600), a touchscreen, and the best build quality I have ever seen on any notebook (including my family's several new Macbooks).

I did not realize that you could run windows on a pixel, and as for linux, I had read (admittedly, about a year ago) that linux did not support the high res display -- has this changed now?

• Reply 37 of 208

why would a corporation (security paranoid) want google tracking your every click  on chrome books

• Reply 38 of 208
    In other news, toilet paper outsold engineering text books by 100 to 1
  • Reply 39 of 208
    thedba wrote: »
    Gruber won't just parrot some blog or analyst's numbers as fact.

When talking about Chromebooks, he's just saying that pretty soon we should start seeing them appear in Web usage stats. Pretty logical if you ask me.

Gruber posted a link earlier tonight from StatCounter.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#all-os-ww-daily-20131101-20131229

You have to download the CSV file to see ChromeOS

ChromeOS is at 0.1% right now
  • Reply 40 of 208
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    So now MacBooks are being crushed by Chromebooks?

No way.

Another report claiming things we all know to be false.

Bet on Apple.