Pebble's new $250 Steel smart watch aims for high end of wearable market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    I recently receive a Pebble as a gift. My normal watch is a Rolex, but the idea of a pebble interested me for the following uses: I'm an active person. I like to bike, run, and ski. However, during these activities, my phone is often stuffed away in the bike back, in the jacket pocket, etc., and it is not easily accessible. Yet, I because of work, I need to be accessible 24 hrs/day. The pebble allows me to get notifications (SMS, phone calls, etc.), and if it is something important, then I can pull off to the side of the road / ski run, and pull out my phone and respond.

Thus, during normal activities I wear my Rolex. But, when I'm active, exercising, or otherwise indisposed (think movie theater, etc.), the Pebble is nice to have on.

No, it's not the prettiest watch in the world, but for the right uses the Pebble is fantastic. Sure, a better resolution would be nice, as well as color, but for now it suits me just fine for those activities. I have really enjoyed having it much more than I thought I would. For those who are criticizing it, try using one for a day and see what you think of the concept - it's an excellent one. I will be one of the first ones out to get the so called iWatch, but for now I love the Pebble.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'll gladly take any bet against someone who doesn't think Apple will eventually release a wearable computer.
    "Eventually" covers a long time. Doubt you'll have any takers.

In the next year though, I think there's a reasonable doubt. iWatch has been a whole load of huff puff so far, and no direct evidence.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll gladly take any bet against someone who doesn't think Apple will eventually release a wearable computer.

Bet taken - just don't mix "smart watch" with "wearable computer", please...the latter can take ANY form possible; watches can't - besides, Apple has already launched one a while ago: it's called iPod Nano.

• Reply 24 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Bet taken - just don't mix "smart watch" with "wearable computer", please...the latter can take ANY form possible; watches can't - besides, Apple has already launched one a while ago: it's called iPod Nano.

People have such a narrow view of the term watch so when I say wearable computer I mean a digital device that is designed to be worn, which technically does include Apple's short-lived BT headset and possibly their other headphones if they have a micro controller in them but those are excluded. I mean a wearable computer from Apple that is designed to be worn on the arm between the humorous and metacarpals, if you want me to be specific. Something I would mostly likely assume is worn on the "wrist" but could extend the definition to the upper-foream like with the MYO under the right usage conditions.

• MYO - Wearable Gesture Control from Thalmic Labs —

The wrist makes as much sense today as it did when the wristwatch was first invented. It's an area we can both quickly look upon as well as interact with the opposite hand but also doesn't get in the way of most tasks.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Um, wouldn't Pebble OS 2.0 be POS 2.0? Not great PR :-( lol

It would be a well-deserved acronym.

• Reply 26 of 57
    What's wrong with Pebble OS? Seems pretty well executed to me.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Whatever Apple designs will be better as it will in addition have iOs7 built into it.

Next.

Excellent point! :)

Similarly, I'm putting off buying a new HDTV, a DSLR, a stand alone GPS or a car with GPS installed...

...mainly b/c they don't have iOS7 installed! :)

• Reply 28 of 57
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Thinking you could ease your product into the high end simply by building it with pricier materials and declaring it a high end product?

Good luck to that.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Thinking you could ease your product into the high end simply by building it with pricier materials and declaring it a high end product?

Good luck to that.

That is how it normally works.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Excellent point! :)

Similarly, I'm putting off buying a new HDTV, a DSLR, a stand alone GPS or a car with GPS installed...

...mainly b/c they don't have iOS7 installed! :)

Saves one from having to abandon those when Apple ships theirs ;)
  • Reply 31 of 57

Good luck to that.
    Seems right to me ????
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skiersteve View Post

I recently receive a Pebble as a gift. My normal watch is a Rolex, but the idea of a pebble interested me for the following uses: I'm an active person. I like to bike, run, and ski. However, during these activities, my phone is often stuffed away in the bike back, in the jacket pocket, etc., and it is not easily accessible. Yet, I because of work, I need to be accessible 24 hrs/day. The pebble allows me to get notifications (SMS, phone calls, etc.), and if it is something important, then I can pull off to the side of the road / ski run, and pull out my phone and respond.

Thus, during normal activities I wear my Rolex. But, when I'm active, exercising, or otherwise indisposed (think movie theater, etc.), the Pebble is nice to have on.

No, it's not the prettiest watch in the world, but for the right uses the Pebble is fantastic. Sure, a better resolution would be nice, as well as color, but for now it suits me just fine for those activities. I have really enjoyed having it much more than I thought I would. For those who are criticizing it, try using one for a day and see what you think of the concept - it's an excellent one. I will be one of the first ones out to get the so called iWatch, but for now I love the Pebble.

Sounds good, Steve and welcome to Ai. I think Apple will be doing something similar. I hoping for all you mentioned and extensive health/exercise/running/HRM, etc., emphasis, as well!

• Reply 33 of 57
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What's wrong with Pebble OS? Seems pretty well executed to me.

What's wrong with it is that it trades on geek appeal, which might sell to people who frequent websites like this one, but will not sell to a wider segment.  To break out of the nerdy niche, a smart watch has to appeal to the people who buy real watches and that ain't gonna happen, for one, with an LED or OLED face.  People who buy watches buy more than one because they treat watches as jewelry/fashion accessories.  They need more than one to be able to match different occasions and outfits.

• Reply 34 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Saves one from having to abandon those when Apple ships theirs image

Yep...wouldn't it be great for Apple to ship a DLSR similar to this bespoke Leica Jony had a hand in? :)

• Reply 35 of 57
    What's wrong with it is that it trades on geek appeal, which might sell to people who frequent websites like this one, but will not sell to a wider segment.  To break out of the nerdy niche, a smart watch has to appeal to the people who buy real watches and that ain't gonna happen, for one, with an LED or OLED face.  People who buy watches buy more than one because they treat watches as jewelry/fashion accessories.  They need more than one to be able to match different occasions and outfits.
    Assuming you're correct, that it trades on geek appeal, how does that equate with the post I responded to, claiming that it was a "POS"?

i.e what is poor quality about the Pebble OS, irrespective of its target audience?
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Assuming you're correct, that it trades on geek appeal, how does that equate with the post I responded to, claiming that it was a "POS"?

i.e what is poor quality about the Pebble OS, irrespective of its target audience?

I think it was a joke, i.e. Pebble OS, has acronym of POS

• Reply 37 of 57
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    It's like Apple is letting everyone lower expectations for them.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    I'm waiting for apple's move. Not gonna spend 260 on a watch I won't be wearing come WWDC
  • Reply 39 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    leesmith wrote: »
    It's like Apple is letting everyone lower expectations for them.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 40 of 57
    I think it was a joke, i.e. Pebble OS, has acronym of POS
    No, read back. It was initially a joke, then it was stated that it is a "well-deserved acronym". My question is why say that? Why is POS a well-deserved acronym, implying that the Pebble OS is substandard?