US grocery chains rolling Apple's iBeacon tech out to dozens of stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35

Make sure it doesn't work with Windows 8 phones etc.. They don't deserve to be able to access any of the iBeacon goodness.

• Reply 22 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Don't be so petty and pathetic.
  • Reply 23 of 35

It's business not Woodstock...!

• Reply 24 of 35

This would be tremendously useful in the big box stores.  The ones where you can't find anything, including anyone to ask. :rolleyes:  Imagine the time it'd save.

It would also be very helpful if it saw you were heading towards the checkouts, and buzzed "hey don't forget these items on your list".

As for the marketing and privacy sides of it... not so much.  If it regularly buzzes ads for things I don't buy (with no way to bypass) I'll delete the app.  If it forces invasive "privacy" terms I won't even bother.

Bottom line, this could be huge, huge if done correctly.  Just hope it doesn't get poisoned with things it doesn't need.

• Reply 25 of 35
    Please say you can turn this off
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"NFC requires users to literally take their phone out, turn it on, and tap it against a target to activate," Dipaola said. "iBeacons can reach a user with their phone in their pocket anywhere in a store. This allows shoppers to physically browse the store as normal and take advantages of new features like a shopping list reminder when they enter.

Yeah, but I mean you still have to take your iPhone out of your pocket to see what iBeacon is buzzing you about. Not really much of a time-saver there, though the proactivity is nice I guess.

Get a Pebble watch and you should be sorted ;) 

• Reply 27 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Presumably if Bluetooth is switched off its a non-starter?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Marketing. What creative use for new tech. /s

Marketing: the world's second oldest profession, but with less morals than the worlds oldest profession.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    daven wrote: »
    It doesn't sound any different than Google's privacy policy

http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

Well then it must sound the same to you as Apple's Privacy Policy too.
    http://www.apple.com/privacy/
  • Reply 30 of 35
    I'm only interested if organic kale, organic avocados, etc., are on sale!

Great! They can sell more processed food.

94% of calories Americans take in are from processed foods, only 6% are from vegetables and 3% are French Fries!

Don't really care if Pepsi, processed, sugary cereals, cookies and cakes or abused chickens and beef are on sale.

Oh and they can keep the milk, too...Milk should only be used if you want to turn a 90# calf into a 1,400# cow in the shortest time possible.

No wonder we're fat!

This is what happens when "white men" are in charge of our food supply! /s:)

Edit: Hmmm. Just re-read my post. Possibly should be on a different site! :)

LOL...

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

LOL...

Thanks, Dick. I like the graphic! :)

• Reply 32 of 35
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    How does a small retail business make use of this technology? What has to be done to implement and maintain it? Its nice to know that some folk are taking advantage of it, but do you need to have an IT department to get it up and running?

This site does a pretty good job explaining the kit technology:

http://estimote.com
  • Reply 33 of 35
    greatboo wrote: »
    Please say you can turn this off

Better yet, you don't have to turn it on!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    vaporland wrote: »
    Marketing. What creative use for new tech. /s

Marketing: the world's second oldest profession, but with less morals than the worlds oldest profession.

The world's first oldest profession is…

Carpentry:

Eve made Adam's banana stand!

… Been waiting over 50 years to use that one!
  • Reply 35 of 35

"The latest unique implementation of iBeacon comes from advertiser InMarket, which began turning on iPhone-compatible sensors at Giant Eagle and Safeway stores in Cleveland, Ohio, Seattle, Wash., and San Francisco, Calif."

Not according to Safeway.  There is no iBeacon hardware installed in any Safeway store.  Perhaps you should contact:

Safeway Public Affairs Department

5918 Stoneridge Mall Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588

Tel: 925-467-3000