Rumor: LG hopes to catch up to Apple with fingerprint sensor in next-gen Android phone

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Oh no! You pushed the button? You don't have to!

That little fact escaped my notice for a while. I figured it out eventually.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I had some difficulty. First, I entered the same thumb in my phone twice. I also changed my reading thumb posture. I found that scans are much more reliable if I'm touching only just hard enough to maximize readable print area, but not actually push the button in at all. Maybe this is how it was intended and I didn't pick up on it at first. Pressing the home button in seems to reduce the readable print area, because it's a more deeply recessed pocket then.

Yes on all points. I am starting to think there is something wrong with my prints. Thanks for the suggestions. 

• Reply 103 of 113
    Quote:

I had some difficulty. First, I entered the same thumb in my phone twice. I also changed my reading thumb posture. I found that scans are much more reliable if I'm touching only just hard enough to maximize readable print area, but not actually push the button in at all. Maybe this is how it was intended and I didn't pick up on it at first. Pressing the home button in seems to reduce the readable print area, because it's a more deeply recessed pocket then.

Press the home button to power on and immediately "release pressure" on the button, but don't move your finger immediately off the button when you release the pressure.

Again: Press briefly to power on then release the pressure without removing the finger. 

It's a very fast process, almost equivalent to powering on without a passcode, using almost the same action, except you leave the finger there touching the button lightly for a few extra milliseconds.

It reads perfectly and almost instantly every time I do that.

It's gotten to the point where I don't even "hover" after powering on. I'm just not "rushing" off the button. It feels really natural now, after a couple of months of using it... I sure wish my new Retina iPad Mini had the Touch ID. I really prefer it now!

• Reply 104 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Oh no! You pushed the button? You don't have to!

You do if the phone is powered off.

But if it's powered on, then no press is needed, just a light touch on the button and voila.

I do find that if I'm coming from a powered off state, just doing a quick press/release/hover on the home button unlocks it faster than when it's powered on and touching the home button. I can see a delay that doesn't happen coming directly from the powered off state.

• Reply 105 of 113
    Press the home button to power on and immediately "release pressure" on the button, but don't move your finger immediately off the button when you release the pressure.

Again: Press briefly to power on then release the pressure without removing the finger. 

It's a very fast process, almost equivalent to powering on without a passcode, using almost the same action, except you leave the finger there touching the button lightly for a few extra milliseconds.

It reads perfectly and almost instantly every time I do that.

It's gotten to the point where I don't even "hover" after powering on. I'm just not "rushing" off the button. It feels really natural now, after a couple of months of using it... I sure wish my new Retina iPad Mini had the Touch ID. I really prefer it now!

The super quick login is a bit undesirable, because the phone then clears the notifications (or really, makes them harder to find) before I've had a chance to read them.

I don't mind touching the button a second time.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:

The super quick login is a bit undesirable, because the phone then clears the notifications (or really, makes them harder to find) before I've had a chance to read them.

I don't mind touching the button a second time.

I sometimes check for notifications using the power button, or just a super quick press to the home button (without triggering the unlock).

If I do unlock and 'wipe' them from the lock screen, a quick swipe down from the top of the screen shows them again... (I leave my notification center screen set to "all" by default, so I always see those missed ones first).

Meaning, they're not at all hard to find if you inadvertently clear them off the lock screen. :)

• Reply 107 of 113
    I sometimes check for notifications using the power button, or just a super quick press to the home button (without triggering the unlock).

If I do unlock and 'wipe' them from the lock screen, a quick swipe down from the top of the screen shows them again... (I leave my notification center screen set to "all" by default, so I always see those missed ones first).

Meaning, they're not at all hard to find if you inadvertently clear them off the lock screen. :)

I've had notifications that get cleared from that screen too. Messages is one of those offenders.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    Quote:

I've had notifications that get cleared from that screen too. Messages is one of those offenders.

What do you mean "offenders"? It's designed (rightly, in my view) to behave that way. Do a simple power-on to view notifications in the lock screen. Unlock to clear the lock screen. As it should be! I wouldn't want to have to manually clear everything from the lock screen every time it started piling up. Think about it.

Besides, once unlocked, it's a simple swipe down to view the same notifications in the Notification Center, which is where that stuff is managed. You don't want the ability to manage that from the lock screen do you?  Then anyone could mess with it, and that wouldn't be good...

• Reply 109 of 113
    What do you mean "offenders"? It's designed (rightly, in my view) to behave that way. Do a simple power-on to view notifications in the lock screen. Unlock to clear the lock screen. As it should be! I wouldn't want to have to manually clear everything from the lock screen every time it started piling up. Think about it.

Besides, once unlocked, it's a simple swipe down to view the same notifications in the Notification Center, which is where that stuff is managed. You don't want the ability to manage that from the lock screen do you?  Then anyone could mess with it, and that wouldn't be good...

You misunderstand. For several programs, those notifications are totally removed from the pull-down tap once the screen is unlocked. I don't think this is good.

Also, the power on behavior is odd, spanning the range. Sometimes it unlocks before I even release my thumb. A few times, rejects thumb scan attempts and I have to key code it.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Quote:

You misunderstand. For several programs, those notifications are totally removed from the pull-down tap once the screen is unlocked. I don't think this is good.

Also, the power on behavior is odd, spanning the range. Sometimes it unlocks before I even release my thumb. A few times, rejects thumb scan attempts and I have to key code it.

I didn't misunderstand. Programs like Messages are correctly removed from Notifications once unlocked. Why? Well, in this case, they are only on the lock screen to let you know you have a message. Once you unlock, you use the Messages app to interact with those, right? Once unlocked, there's the Messages icon with a badge to let you know you've got messages.... In fact, your entire Home Screen becomes a sort of Notification Center with the app badges, etc. you don't need the Notification screen to notify, read or manage those messages. If those remained in the Notification Center, you might instead be complaining about the redundancy of having (to manage) all those in multiple places. :)

I think the system makes clear sense once you get familiar with it. The Notices that remain make sense to keep there, the ones that don't are items you're going to use their parent programs to manage, and those types of programs typically notify you using badges...

The point isn't lost on me. I just think you're arguing something as if it's broken, when in fact, it works quite well once you get to know it.

As for powering on, maybe you should try powering on using the Power Button at the top of the phone. Then you'll always see your lock screen (and any notifications there), and won't run the risk of Touch ID working too well and too fast...... I'm pretty certain any inconsistency of behavior is ours, rather than the sensor's (assuming it's not defective)... 

I've learned a few interesting things about the Touch ID behavior. If you move your finger across the button at all during the scan, it'll ask to try again. If it's off angle just a bit, the same (although you can rotate your fingerprint to pretty much any angle to touch, if your finger is "off plane" or off center too much it won't work). Finally, the more I just "press to power on" and think about it less, the more often it's instantly successful.

Anyway, I hope you get a comfortable method worked out. I think getting in the habit of initially powering on with the power button (or using the home button with a finger that's not registered?) might be a good solution for you... then you can unlock with Touch ID after reviewing your lock screen notices... like you said, you don't mind doing two presses...

• Reply 111 of 113
    I didn't misunderstand. Programs like Messages are correctly removed from Notifications once unlocked. Why? Well, in this case, they are only on the lock screen to let you know you have a message. Once you unlock, you use the Messages app to interact with those, right? Once unlocked, there's the Messages icon with a badge to let you know you've got messages.... In fact, your entire Home Screen becomes a sort of Notification Center with the app badges, etc. you don't need the Notification screen to notify, read or manage those messages. If those remained in the Notification Center, you might instead be complaining about the redundancy of having (to manage) all those in multiple places. :)

I think the system makes clear sense once you get familiar with it. The Notices that remain make sense to keep there, the ones that don't are items you're going to use their parent programs to manage, and those types of programs typically notify you using badges...

The point isn't lost on me. I just think you're arguing something as if it's broken, when in fact, it works quite well once you get to know it.

Then I'm lost on why some apps keep the notification in the pull-down and not others, when pretty much all the apps in question have badges, yet, some clear the notification, some don't.

As for powering on, maybe you should try powering on using the Power Button at the top of the phone.

That would be much more deterministic, though I think that's awkward.

I'm pretty certain any inconsistency of behavior is ours, rather than the sensor's (assuming it's not defective)... 

Or, it could be the set of assumed operating parameters that doesn't allow for seemingly minor variations in human interaction resulting in significant variations in outcomes. Generally, it seemed that Apple is about being a company that tries to adapt machines to people, rather than force people to adapt to the machine, and this seems to me to be a counterexample.

I've learned a few interesting things about the Touch ID behavior. If you move your finger across the button at all during the scan, it'll ask to try again. If it's off angle just a bit, the same (although you can rotate your fingerprint to pretty much any angle to touch, if your finger is "off plane" or off center too much it won't work). Finally, the more I just "press to power on" and think about it less, the more often it's instantly successful.

Anyway, I hope you get a comfortable method worked out. I think getting in the habit of initially powering on with the power button (or using the home button with a finger that's not registered?) might be a good solution for you... then you can unlock with Touch ID after reviewing your lock screen notices... like you said, you don't mind doing two presses...

I really don't mind doing two presses.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Then I'm lost on why some apps keep the notification in the pull-down and not others, when pretty much all the apps in question have badges, yet, some clear the notification, some don't.
    Have you checked your Notification Center settings in Settings.app? Appearing on the lock screen, showing a badge and appearing in Notification Center are all different toggles, and are set on a per-app basis.