Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, at least it covers the average use time of a single Android device before being sold or junk drawered. They can rest easy.

That is impossible that a smartphone can use a 256 bit processor in nowadays technology.

• Reply 102 of 151
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Your assumption is wrong.  I think TouchID is pretty nifty and wish my phone had something similar.   Anant was putting down an Apple user who was having problems with his TouchID, and telling him to prove that it wasn't 'just him'  lol   I just found that article and linked it for his benefit.

It doesn't line up with his views, so he relegates it to his 'invalid' bin.  I could care less :p

There are plenty of other invalid sources of other people having problems too:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/12/touch-id-issues-and-fixes/

http://www.macworld.com/article/2070830/troubleshoot-apples-touch-id-fingerprint-reader.html

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-well-you-heres-how-fix-it

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23609165#23609165

Note that the third link has a poll from over 8,000 responses....

The original poster with the problem should read because quite a few have tips to make it work better.

And i say most of those 8000 never held an iPhone before.. can even afford an iPhone 4, why would someone lie about not working? i don't know go on youtube and ask samsung fans 

• Reply 103 of 151
    euphonious wrote: »
    Can't they? That's funny, because it runs pretty smoothly on my Nexus 5.
    Well they don't run well on my Tegra Note compared to their iOS counterparts.
    So maybe you should compare then to how they run on iOS too to know how smoothly they really run.
  • Reply 104 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Apple of course did not invent finger print sensor.  Nor is Apple the first putting it on a smart phone.  The difference is the details and this is patented by Apple.  Apple put it on the Home button.  And it is PATENDED!

With your copying brain any software can be copied.  Because they are lines of lines C/C++/...  codes which the programer did not invent. 

Actually Apple invented the fingerprint scanner, every those fingerprint scanners was release before Touch ID was nothing more than quimick inclunding that fingerprint scanner (Secret=Doesnt Exist) from Pentagon that was used to open some dumb doors

Everything was released before iPhone OS or Mac OS i will not pay a cent for those..in fact i will not even piss on those because i respect my piss more

• Reply 105 of 151
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by t0ny View Post

Nope, not a general point simply that my iPhone is dodgy. Glad yours is 100% working.

Then take it back. I assume it is still under warranty.

• Reply 106 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The post you replied to states neither. The statement "If A then B" does not imply A.

Sorry about that, i missed took you for Samsungish

• Reply 107 of 151
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    gtr wrote: »
    Your make-believe world appears to include imagining people are calling you names...
    Quit harassing him.
  • Reply 108 of 151
    foad wrote: »
    Would you consider yourself an avid consumer of technology? I ask that in earnest. The reason I ask is because I don't think that at the current size display the iPhone has, most people wouldn't even notice a higher PPI. As the screen gets bigger, they might, but I've show my mom an iPad Air next to the Galaxy Nexus tablet and even at the size, she couldn't tell the difference. 

I'm not saying you're wrong at all and as a genuine nerd, the better the quality a display is, the happier I am, but I think that a lot of other factors define a great display beyond just PPI.

You are probably right, but I'm not 100% sure. Seeing that I saw those tiny lines the first time I held it in my hand! I imagine that even non techies could see, even if unconsciously, that a screen with a higher PPI would look better. But yes, it would be a very marginal difference. But we all know Apple is all about detail, so I'm convinced they will increase it to around 400ppi which would be perfect.
  • Reply 109 of 151
    You’re completely psychotic. Nothing in my post fits that bill in any capacity. You live in a fantasy world where you think you can pretend that words mean things they do not.

To that we say shut up and go away.

Talk for yourself. You don't represent anyone here. Your words are poison.

Yours is a personal attack. No moderator is going to do something about it?
  • Reply 110 of 151
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Talk for yourself.

‘Kay. So that’s to be understood as you disagree with me and that YOU are claiming that Apple invented fingerprint sensors on phones, correct?

Your words are poison.

Sure thing, Éowyn.

Yours is a personal attack.

Nope. It’s a statement of truth. He doesn’t get to say anything just anything he wants and get away with it.

• Reply 111 of 151
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Quit harassing him.

In what way is he being harassed, oh King Of The Internet?
  • Reply 112 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Your make-believe world appears to include imagining people are calling you names...

Quit harassing him.

Did he come crying to you!?

Damn, GTR, you hurt his feelings :rolleyes:....

• Reply 113 of 151

All right, that got out of hand. Seen far, far too many posts where the implication is as previously stated, so in seeing it happen again I tend to give little remorse. Works, generally; the trolls never show up again. If it not be the intent, I do apologize, but had it not, the simplest solution would have been to outright correct my misconception immediately.

• Reply 114 of 151
    I have noticed that TouchID does occasionally fail; however; in every instance I have been able to determine the cause of the failure. In many instances my finger doesn't have sufficient surface area pressed flush against the surface of the sensor while occasionally my finger is wet. I have yet to discover an instance when TouchID has failed for any reason but user error albeit apparently slight user error.

Given past implementations of technology in mobile devices by Samsung I can't imagine they will have the success Apple has had with TouchID.
  • Reply 115 of 151

I've had a couple issues with Touch ID. I checked on Apple's website and they had a few suggestions. When I first got it I picked 5 fingers and learned each one (which is the limit). Apple states if you have multiple fingers learned it can slightly delay the response time.

What I found was I actually only ever used my thumb as I always use my phone in the same hand. So I unlearned all fingers and only used my thumb. Since then it's worked almost 100%. The odd time it doesn't is when I'm at work and have dirty fingers. I also cut my thumb and while it was healing it didn't work very well either.

So now I learned my thumb and one more finger as backup, and since they are completely different "types" of patterns the response time is still great. Apple also states that if you have "similar" prints it can delay response.

I'd have to say that Touch ID is very reliable, and if you apply a little common sense to what's actually going on (like me switching to my finger while my thumb was healing) it works great.

I have to wonder, how many other people learned 5 fingers "just because"?

• Reply 116 of 151
    I've had a couple issues with Touch ID. I checked on Apple's website and they had a few suggestions. When I first got it I picked 5 fingers and learned each one (which is the limit). Apple states if you have multiple fingers learned it can slightly delay the response time.

What I found was I actually only ever used my thumb as I always use my phone in the same hand. So I unlearned all fingers and only used my thumb. Since then it's worked almost 100%. The odd time it doesn't is when I'm at work and have dirty fingers. I also cut my thumb and while it was healing it didn't work very well either.

So now I learned my thumb and one more finger as backup, and since they are completely different "types" of patterns the response time is still great. Apple also states that if you have "similar" prints it can delay response.

I'd have to say that Touch ID is very reliable, and if you apply a little common sense to what's actually going on (like me switching to my finger while my thumb was healing) it works great.

I have to wonder, how many other people learned 5 fingers "just because"?

Well, I remember virtually every website posting advise about scanning all ten fingers using only one or two of the five possible patterns. I can't imagine that improves the response of the algorithm.
  • Reply 117 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’re completely psychotic. Nothing in my post fits that bill in any capacity. You live in a fantasy world where you think you can pretend that words mean things they do not.

To that we say shut up and go away.

tOny's posts sound suspiciously like Internet guy that showed up a few days ago and got everyone going re. iBooks and the maniac judge's appointment of the ignorant monitor. tOny appears to be a tad more aggressive. The trademark being quibbling over minor things and an equivocating tone to all posts. Interesting that d4NjvRzf also shows up as well. Do they run in packs?

Just sayin' . . .
  • Reply 118 of 151
    Interesting ... I thought Samsung had said the S5 (which is no way sounds similar to 5S) would have a better exterior casing than it's predecessor. I would write this prediction off completely if it were not from Kuo.

He's the only analyst who has been mostly accurate as to future Apple products. It's obvious that Kuo has inside information (at least regarding Apple) while the others appear to just be guessing.

If I were Samsung, I would dismiss fingerprint authentication as unnecessary way before I would copy it with a less accurate/reliable/refined version. Here's to hoping Samsung does try it and fails spectacularly.
  • Reply 119 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

8 cores? Seems like a lot for a phone.

Sigh. This is the ARM four big for little design, whose purpose is to save power.

• Reply 120 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Interesting ... I thought Samsung had said the S5 (which is no way sounds similar to 5S) would have a better exterior casing than it's predecessor. I would write this prediction off completely if it were not from Kuo.

He's the only analyst who has been mostly accurate as to future Apple products. It's obvious that Kuo has inside information (at least regarding Apple) while the others appear to just be guessing.

If I were Samsung, I would dismiss fingerprint authentication as unnecessary way before I would copy it with a less accurate/reliable/refined version. Here's to hoping Samsung does try it and fails spectacularly.

I seem to recall reading an interview with some Samsung guy during CES, and he was saying that the new Galaxy would have a metal case.