IDC critical of Apple for not selling profitless, sub $200 iPhones in market share report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Didn't Cook recently say that Apple isn't interested in making trash?
  • Reply 42 of 78

Wasn't this guy around when $200 Windows netbooks were going to be the hottest platform on the planet and Apple was said to be doomed because they didn't sell one.  What a doofus.

• Reply 43 of 78
    yea apple make 100 dollar phones loose $ on them and gain market wile you loose $
  • Reply 44 of 78
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I don't think selling at cost would be a good idea for Apple.  But I wish they would consider mid-range or even low cost with 25%-35% margins. Apple could easily sell a mid-range $350-$400 phone. For example, when the iPhone 6 gets out, why not sell the 5c in the $350 - $400 range instead of the usual $450 price point for a 2 years old phone?

Totally agree.    I would like Apple to have at least a 50% market share with using the 5c as an inexpensive entry point.  

Google doesn't really need or care what the profit is for their manufacturers as long as the phones are using google services that translate into advertising revenue.

I remember that at one time the Macintosh had the overwhelming majority of the PC GUI operating system market, but then the PCs came along with Windows 95 and blew them out of the water; to where Apple's market share was so low they had to be saved by Bill Gates's bailout.    Hopefully history won't repeat itself. 

• Reply 45 of 78

Uh, folks, while I appreciate your indignation at AI's article on the IDC report, I decided to read the actual IDC report (or more accurately Press Release) for myself. Seems to me the IDC report that the AI article links to is either a) the wrong IDC report, or b) doesn't say what AI says it does. For example, the IDC report's title is:

"Android and iOS Continue to Dominate the Worldwide Smartphone Market with Android Shipments Just Shy of 800 Million in 2013, According to IDC" 

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24676414

Nothing to complain about there, eh? In the text the only "analysis" mentioning Apple I could find was this which was quoted in part by AI:

"Clearly, there was strong end-user demand for both Android and iOS products during the quarter and the year," says Ramon Llamas, Research Manager with IDC's Mobile Phone team. "What stands out are the different routes Android and Apple took to meet this demand. Android relied on its long list of OEM partners, a broad and deep collection of devices, and price points that appealed to nearly every market segment. Apple's iOS, on the other hand, relied on nearly the opposite approach: a limited selection of Apple-only devices, whose prices trended higher than most. Despite these differences, both platforms found a warm reception to their respective user experiences and selection of mobile applications."

*(emphasis mine)

I know that I'm not the sharpest tool in the proverbial shed, so if anyone can explain to me exactly what in the actual IDC report is so offensive, I'd be mighty appreciative.

• Reply 46 of 78
    k2kw wrote: »
    I remember that at one time the Macintosh had the overwhelming majority of the PC GUI operating system market, but then the PCs came along with Windows 95 and blew them out of the water; to where Apple's market share was so low they had to be saved by Bill Gates's bailout.    Hopefully history won't repeat itself. 

Back then: Apple had low desktop market share... and no money.

Today: Apple has low smartphone market share... and plenty of money.

So which is actually a problem... the market share or the money?
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Not sure it matters one bit what IDC writes: it doesn't factor into Apple's product strategy. But I suppose IDC earns money by publicizing these "studies." That's what they're selling.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    I find IDC's market share numbers informative. However, IDC should stick with that and go no further. Receipt of their check from Google and Samsung is clearly visible in their "analysis" of what those numbers actually mean.

With profits as made by Motorola, RIMM, HTC, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc, none of these firms will be around this time next year. That means that Samsung, filling the volume void, will no longer be profitable. How long will that last before bottom tier handset ASPs rise about $100 - $150?
  • Reply 49 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    k2kw wrote: »

Um, PC GUI market? Are we now making up markets? Bill Gates didn't bail out Apple. They settled various patent "disagreements".
  • Reply 50 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    512ke wrote: »
    My earlier sarcastic post didn't show up.  I imagined what would happen if BMW tried to market a car to compete with the Honda Fit, called the 4 cylinder AM/FM radio 10-cupholder BMW Fit©.

At the same time, how low IS Apple's phone market share going to go?  

Apple doesn't want to have only 7% of the market or something, right?

Apple has a hard challenge.  They're a luxury brand.  Aspirational.  High end.  Cutting edge.  And yet the competition is growing way faster.

Maybe Apple should split its brand. Like Toyota and Lexus.  Honda and Acura in the US.  

As a loyal shareholder, I wish that Android would plateau so the story is not always about Apple's ceaseless loss of marketshare.

It's called the Mini Cooper
  • Reply 51 of 78
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Arm chair analyst always come up with this kind of baseless analysis. Apple is obviously making wise and informed decisions, that is why they are the most valuable company.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    kpom wrote: »
    By implication, IF, as IDC implies, Apple could sell more handsets by selling lower priced models, those sales have to come from...... Samsung and others, making the profit picture even bleaker for others....and Samsung. I am beginning to like... /snort.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...but, but, but making losses paves the way for infinite growth prospects, the "potential" to grow market share and the adulation of Wall St.

Hence share value goes up, it's so simple in it's stupidity that any fool can see it.

A fool and their money are soon parted and that my friends is what keeps Wall Street paved with gold.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    muadibe wrote: »
    Didn't Cook recently say that Apple isn't interested in making trash?
    just trash cans
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

just trash cans

Making trash?

Trash cans?

iCan? 

ICAHN!

IT’S A CONSPIRACY, MAN.

• Reply 56 of 78
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

This persistent meme is incorrect that the $150 million purchase of non-voting Apple stock by Bill Gates's Microsoft bailed out Apple.

At the time (Aug 97) Apple still had $1230 million in cash and equivalents:

Microsoft and Apple Affirm Commitment To Build Next Generation Software for Macintosh

Apple Inc. Form 10-K Annual Report, Filed Dec 5, 1997

• Reply 57 of 78

Apple need advice because they only have 159 thousand million dollars in the bank, which is barely enough to buy a small country these days.

• Reply 58 of 78
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Apple need advice because they only have 159 thousand million dollars in the bank, which is barely enough to buy a small country these days.

It's more than the USA has.

• Reply 59 of 78
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    More of the same irrelevant and fallacious garbage from AI... IDC is speaking about MARKET SHARE, yet the author of this drivel can't keep himself to speak of something else, margins, while shooting the messenger like if they were plotting on bath-mouthing Apple, which is borderline stupid or could be the symptoms of cognitive troubles, but there it is something else, it is called a deflection and a diversion, which is the recipe for a propagandist and certainly not any journalist or honorable blogger...

Zz

People should really read the IDC press release and compare it to this whiny and irrelevant drivel...
  • Reply 60 of 78

Everybody knows that you always can make up the different from having to sell each item at a loss by having huge volume.