Microsoft Office may come to iPad before Windows 8

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98

and Microsoft...? The Mac version is now 3 years behind...

Apple should care, because this is still a strong, good platform... what's the point of Apple bringing out high end multi core processor Macs if there's no software for them?

I just get the feeling that too much focus is given to the iOS and not enough on the Mac OS. Perhaps it's time for me to "move on" and embrace the iOS, but until it can be as good as Mac, I'd love to see Mac OS progress and interest in the Mac can be re-ignited. Fingers crossed, Apple might push it this year with new Mac product, but again, what's the point if there's no new software?

• Reply 82 of 98
    Too little improvement over iWork for the too much money I expect MS to charge.

Oh, and too late, too.

I think that MS has now figured out that Windows is not the future of Microsoft. And important part, certainly, but it's not the "big deal". Office could have been that but MS spent too long protecting Windows and now too many people have moved on.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Can't believe it's taken them so long. Pathetic.

That said, it'll be nice to have Excel for iPad.

Spreadsheets on an iPad are nice to view - and that's all.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

So can I assume you've never installed any Adobe Suites or programs? No excuses, just saying that MS isn't the only one that gets away with App install murder.

Adobe are worse than anyone. 

• Reply 85 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Along those lines, I'm currently going through all my files over the last 20+ years and worry about ANYONE being able to read my thousands of WordPerfect files 10 years from now - including lots of family history and genealogy my descendants will find of interest - if they can access the info, that is....

Why don't you export your WP documents as PDFs? Word processor-specific formats are poorly suited to archiving documents because they are opaque and can only be opened by a specific program. PDF is a universally recognized file format and has been around for twenty years. Your documents will have a much higher chance of being still readable in ten years if you save them as PDFs or text files instead of in some proprietary app-specific format.

• Reply 86 of 98

I will continue to use iWorks thank you.  I think it will overtake MS Office soon enough.

MS was probably reluctant to pay Apple the 30% in the AppStore.

MS Office also will probably not support iCloud in favor of Office 365,

iWorks is looking very good at this point.  Although some MS Office features are more advanced, iWorks has many features that are more advanced than MS Office and with a much more elegant and user friendly interface.  Not to mention iWorks new architecture to support the desktop, the web and mobile devices.

• Reply 87 of 98
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Why don't you export your WP documents as PDFs? Word processor-specific formats are poorly suited to archiving documents because they are opaque and can only be opened by a specific program. PDF is a universally recognized file format and has been around for twenty years. Your documents will have a much higher chance of being still readable in ten years if you save them as PDFs or text files instead of in some proprietary app-specific format.

I'd have to learn the macro language to batch convert them to anything, as I'm not up for doing 10,000 files one at a time.  There might be something at WordPerfect Universe that will help me, but my first trip there just confused me with conflicting, highly geeky posts.

(I used to rock the old DOS version of the WP macro language really pretty well - and wrote ones that presented as info-collection programs to the ward secretaries at a hospital I worked at.)

Also while many of my WPD's are finished archives where PDF's would be fine, some are still active docs that I edit - and I've never tried a PDF editor since the days when Adobe's own was about all there was and was spendy, so dunno if that's a fit to purpose way to go.

And with all the trillions of Docs/Docx's around, there will always be ways to work with those. NTM, there are a number of Word macros around for batch converting Word docs to PDF if people might be wondering - again using them would take some study and trial and error though.

I was really expecting to readily find utility programs that specialized in converting various types of files from format A to format B. 

It seems like a real need with so many defunct and fading formats after the first 35+ years of personal computing, but my first searches haven't revealed any that work with WP, and not many at all period.

• Reply 88 of 98
    Here's an article by a MS columnist:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-office-on-ipad-its-alive-and-coming-sooner-than-most-think-7000026372/

Of particular interest are the comments -- from the perspective of MS Windows and MS Office supporters...
  • Reply 89 of 98
    bigpics wrote: »
    d4njvrzf wrote: »

I'd have to learn the macro language to batch convert them to anything, as I'm not up for doing 10,000 files one at a time.  There might be something at WordPerfect Universe that will help me, but my first trip there just confused me with conflicting, highly geeky posts.

(I used to rock the old DOS version of the WP macro language really pretty well - and wrote ones that presented as info-collection programs to the ward secretaries at a hospital I worked at.)

Also while many of my WPD's are finished archives where PDF's would be fine, some are still active docs that I edit - and I've never tried a PDF editor since the days when Adobe's own was about all there was and was spendy, so dunno if that's a fit to purpose way to go.

And with all the trillions of Docs/Docx's around, there will always be ways to work with those. NTM, there are a number of Word macros around for batch converting Word docs to PDF if people might be wondering - again using them would take some study and trial and error though.

I was really expecting to readily find utility programs that specialized in converting various types of files from format A to format B. 

It seems like a real need with so many defunct and fading formats after the first 35+ years of personal computing, but my first searches haven't revealed any that work with WP, and not many at all period.

You might be able to accomplish some sort of [semi-]automated PDF conversion by using AppleScript and the prior version of OSX Pages.

Pages was scriptable and could save documents in PDF format!
  • Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iWork, baby. Why would Apple care about Office?

Has nothing to do with features or capabilities. Apple is well aware that MS Office is a hot-button, check-block for (ta-ta!) The Enterprise. Surely, you remember MacWorld Boston,1997, when Steve Jobs introduced a video of Bill Gates and explained the deal he made with Microsoft. Part of that deal was Microsoft's continued support for Office for the Mac. Steve Jobs knew that having Office on the Mac was an important symbol (for lack of a better word) of acceptability in big business. And so does Tim Cook.

• Reply 91 of 98
    clemynx wrote: »
    I did (and I actually checked the Photoshop folder when I wrote my comment). But in my totally unscientific approach it seemed to me that ms did worse.
    Check your user library, disk library, preference and application folders and the multiple hierarchies within each... plus sim links within assorted fonts, color, and multiple other OS specific folders.

Now install the suite besides just PS...:no:
  • Reply 92 of 98
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I agree with him. If they stick tithe rental model it's not worth it

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but the Office 365 subscription is $99 a year for the full Office Suite on up to 5 devices. How is that not worth it?

• Reply 93 of 98
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    If true, what does this tell us about the robustness of the Windows Mobile OS and the developer APIs/Tools vis a vis iOS?

If true, that means that MS will give priority to platform with no Office available. Kind of makes sense.

Also... Office 2011 for Mac came out between Office 2010 and 2013 for Windows, if memory serves. So there - Office 2013 for Windows, Office 2014 for Mac, Office 2015 for Windows..?
  • Reply 94 of 98
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    emes wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but the Office 365 subscription is $99 a year for the full Office Suite on up to 5 devices. How is that not worth it?

Are you serious? You think each year ms advances word processing to the tune of $99?

They went with the subscription model for a reason. I'll pass.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I had a Word order form emailed to me the other day, started it in Pages on my iPad, finished it on my iPhone including a screenshot of a bank receipt.

There was a minor issue with font substitution so sent the completed form as a PDF.

It worked better than some of the Office formats used by my head office which don't open at all using Microsoft 'reader' software on our crappy old XP PC's!
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Are you serious? You think each year ms advances word processing to the tune of $99?

They went with the subscription model for a reason. I'll pass.

You are right, Microsoft did go with the subscription model for a reason and it is not the individual consumer (though there is the $99 Home Premium edition). The main customer targeted is (ta-ta) The Enterprise - big business, Fortune 500, whatever you want to call it. The subscription model is just a variation of mass licensing but better. For much less than $99, businesses get to install Office (Windows or Mac) on any number of computers over 25 (I believe). Being a subscription, it's easier for companies to budget for, and for the IT folks to manage the licenses.

• Reply 97 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

If this is possible, the geniuses at Microsoft might even get round to adding CalDav support this side of the next decade...

Why would they waste their time supporting industry standards when they can continue to push their own "standard" - Exchange... ?