Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer to retire at end of September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sudonym wrote: »
    Anybody who would leave Apple voluntarily is a bum.  If he doesn't enjoy it, he should never have been there in the first place.

That's just absurd.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Anybody who would leave Apple voluntarily is a bum.  If he doesn't enjoy it, he should never have been there in the first place.

Life is about more than work.  Nobody on their deathbed ever wished they had spent more time at the office.

• Reply 23 of 56
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    With all the $$ this guy has i would have retired a lo g time ago...
  • Reply 24 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

This has to be sarcasm. No post can be this stupid.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    Quote:

I left Apple voluntarily.  I didn't enjoy it.  I shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Not /s.

• Reply 26 of 56
    I always wonder if there are shill accounts who only comment on stories just to try to appear in the comments section.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wish there was a generic block for text and text-related stuff on our user pages. I’d throw all the great quotes there and just put a link to it in my signature rather than have to wrangle with a 200 character limit and 150 pixel height limit.

• Reply 28 of 56
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,210member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Rat abandoning a sinking ship¡¡

Get a life. 18 years at one company these days is a lifetime and as for a Apple sinking all I can say is they have one hell of a life raft that just seems to get better all the time.

• Reply 29 of 56
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member

Idiotic comment. Did you expect him to stay until he dropped dead? Jesus...
  • Reply 30 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Get a life. 18 years at one company these days is a lifetime and as for a Apple sinking all I can say is they have one hell of a life raft that just seems to get better all the time.

Calm down. Sometime ago users here decided to use the ¡ character as the sarcasm tag.

• Reply 31 of 56
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Good for the boy. With his money, why not set out to rediscover life. Looks like he enjoys more than 9-5, 7 days a week.

Who can say he remembers the mad climb of the decades that end in zeros, that all seem to run together, as well as we remember our singles and teen years?

• Reply 32 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,854member
    Quote:

There must be a lot of bums because a lot of people have left Apple lately, probably more than we know. Not everyone stays in a company forever, even if its the magical and wonderful Apple, Inc. I'm sure its not always the greatest place in the world to work all the time. 

• Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Idiotic comment. Did you expect him to stay until he dropped dead? Jesus...

Wow.  That was rich.  

• Reply 34 of 56
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Good luck to P Oppenheimer and props to Apple for having his successor in place.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I love Apple and the people I have had the privilege to work with and after 18 years here, it is time for me to take time for myself and my family," Oppenheimer said in a statement. "For quite some time, I have wanted to live on the central coast of California and get more involved at Cal Poly, my alma mater; spend more time with my wife and sons; travel to interesting parts of the world; and something I have wanted to do for years-- finish the requirements for my pilot's license."

18 years is a long time at one company.  

During that time Apple went from the brink of ruin to the most powerful company on earth.  

Not to bad of a legacy.

Too many people work to long and hard, destroying their health and their family in the process.

Peter is retiring at around 52 years of age with a fortune of around $200 million.  Not too shabby!  

He has worked hard and will now get to enjoy the rewards while he still has his health and his family.

• Reply 36 of 56
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Outgoing Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said he plans to spend more time with his family, travel, and finish the requirements for a pilot's license."Peter is also a dear friend I always knew I could count on. Although I am sad to see him leave, I am happy he is taking time for himself and his family. As all of us who know him would have expected, he has created a professional succession plan to ensure Apple doesn't miss a beat."

:\

Peter described himself as a dear friend?  

Apple is well shot of this nutcase!

• Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Maestri helped Xerox change direction to a services company. Maybe he'll help Apple head into being a more service oriented company... hmmmm... that didn't sound quite how I intended... I mean, not that Apple will be a services company any time soon, just that services will take on a greater role.

That wouldn't be his call.  The CEO sets the direction for the company, the CFO figures out how to pay for it.

Tim Cook did a major reorg in 2012 in which he promoted Eddy Cue to SVP of Internet Software and Services.

The software and services area has grown to a 4+ Billion dollar a quarter business.

• Reply 38 of 56
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,388moderator
    jungmark wrote: »

It's a Windows and Android user (the combination is the worst kind). They appear to be parodying what they think the response of an Apple user would be, presumably to show up people who agree with his comments. I don't think it's having the intended effect though because instead of reinforcing their stereotype that Apple users make comments like this, it reinforces the stereotype that Windows and Android users prefer to make a nuisance of themselves. The comments aren't particularly harmful but it looks like the account has solely been setup for this purpose with a disposable email address.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

Really? smh

• Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

That wouldn't be his call.  The CEO sets the direction for the company, the CFO figures out how to pay for it.

Tim Cook did a major reorg in 2012 in which he promoted Eddy Cue to SVP of Internet Software and Services.

The software and services area has grown to a 4+ Billion dollar a quarter business.

Well, the CEO might set the direction but these days one of the CFO's jobs is to help set the direction by helping the team by forecasting the best routes for the company. If Cook has already decided to make services a more important aspect of the company then he might have hired Maestri for that exact purpose.

Besides, not once in my comment did I allude to this being Maestri's call.