Adoption of iOS 7.1 hits 6% in North America after 24 hours in the wild

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I imagine this update will be slower than and plateau faster than 7.0.6 in the coming days because of the requirement for 2.5GiB of free space needed to complete this update.

So even though the delta was only 265MB or so, it still needs 2.5 GiB to install? I installed it on 3 devices last night. The download itself said 265MB, but it took a pretty long time to install.

Of course, all 3 devices had more than 3 GB of free space, so maybe that's why I didn't encounter any hiccups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I'm going to say the next iPhone will get a doubling of capacity so that 32GB is the starting point.

Amen! The day a 128GB iPhone releases will be the day I retire my 160GB iPod Classic.

• Reply 22 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Does anyone but me think that the over 2 GB required for this update is extreme? Yikes. That much is needed for a few improvements? It's getting dangerously close to the amount of memory Samsung devices need!
  • Reply 23 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fred1 wrote: »
    Does anyone but me think that the over 2 GB required for this update is extreme? Yikes. That much is needed for a few improvements? It's getting dangerously close to the amount of memory Samsung devices need!

That's not how much was changed in the OS. The 2.5GiB was for the system to complete it's shuffle of switching out the new and old code. 256MiB was the DL for the 5S, which would uncompress to probably about 500MiB. I'd have expected about 1GiB to be needed for the install to occur so I'm certainly confused by the 2.5GiB requirement, but the entire OS, not just the files being changed, certainly isn't taking up over 2GiB.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That's not how much was changed in the OS. The 2.5GiB was for the system to complete it's shuffle of switching out the new and old code. 256MiB was the DL for the 5S, which would uncompress to probably about 500MiB. I'd have expected about 1GiB to be needed for the install to occur so I'm certainly confused by the 2.5GiB requirement, but the entire OS, not just the files being changed, certainly isn't taking up over 2GiB.

The full installation package is 1.44GB for the iPhone 5s, so it could very well clock in at over 2GB after uncompressing. I would assume that the delta installation duplicates several of the existing files and will only overwrite after verification. Would that extra space be held just in case something goes awry during the installation?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    woochifer wrote: »
    The full installation package is 1.44GB for the iPhone 5s, so it could very well clock in at over 2GB after uncompressing. I would assume that the delta installation duplicates several of the existing files and will only overwrite after verification. Would that extra space be held just in case something goes awry during the installation?

The space is definitely given back after the installation. I'll see if I can restore an iPhone to factory tomorrow to see how much storage is remaining and then subtract from the marketed space after converting to BASE-2.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Yep, my 4S is smokin' also.  I'm loving this upgrade even more than 7.0.

The download took maybe 5 mins over wifi, then another 10 or so to process.

I do find it interesting that the very first animation renderings were the tiniest bit jittery (nothing like an Android, though).  But after those initial bits, it was all rearview.

I made the same observation when upgrading my iPhone 4 yesterday. On first run after upgrade it was really slow for a minute or two when opening apps and moving around (which made me a bit worried). After that it has actually been snappier than my 6.1.3 install. The only thing that is slower (so far) is starting apps and possibly loading heavy websites in Safari. And no crashes so far. I'm happy!

• Reply 27 of 35
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    You actually get back much more storage than before, I cleared out 1.8GB before installation (photo stream had filled up my phone from my iPad) and after I had 2.3GB, I think that the update clears out a lot of cached information. the yellow 'Other' bar on itunes should be much shorter.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

Apple has finally released the software that they should have sent out back in September.

The Great Beta is over.  Hopefully the refinements to the UI makes it easier to use.

• Reply 29 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    k2kw wrote: »
    Apple has finally released the software that they should have sent out back in September.

The Great Beta is over.  Hopefully the refinements to the UI makes it easier to use.
    I didn't know it was hard to use. :???:
    Oh and Windows 8.1 is what Windows 8 should have been. 2nd gen iPad is what the 1st gen should have been, 4th gen iPad is what the 3rd gen should have been, first iPhone was a dud etc.
  • Reply 30 of 35

Now that I've got 7.1 installed on my iPhone 5, I immediately noticed an increase in speed. I also appreciate the revised Calendar and other UI tweaks which have made it somewhat easier on my aging eyes.

My only gripe is that it requires one to connect to a WiFi interweb source to install the update, which is a bit of a chore for me, since my iPhone *IS* my source of interweb.  Still, that was not too hard to get around. Thanks, Apple, for the nice--free--update!

• Reply 31 of 35
    Yay!
    They fixed the music scrolling from the lock screen!
    The scroll bar is a tad wider, and now my finger can grab hold if its not directly (exactly) on top... and the lock screen doesn't slide like before...

That was my biggest complaint!

(it also used to revert to a previous point in the song, everytime I opened it... haven't experienced it yet, but give it time)
  • Reply 32 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I'm enjoying the update. One thing I've just noticed, which I'm not liking, is when you have the reduced motion setting to on, it stops the dynamic weather app. There is no more moving clouds, rain, etc. I don't get why Apple would change that. I prefer the reduced motion on but still have the dynamic weather. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I thought I remember reading on a blog just before the release of 7.0 that the weather app was going to have an update for live temps in the icon. Am I dreaming?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I updated my 4s and I am now experiencing trouble with the keyboard. It lags a lot when I type. Anyone else has this problem?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I thought I remember reading on a blog just before the release of 7.0 that the weather app was going to have an update for live temps in the icon. Am I dreaming?

Have you checked your totem lately? (e.g., is the top still spinning?) Do you really *want* reality?