Apple supply chain rumors: 'iPad Pro' on hold, sapphire production limited

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Wait.  Digitimes said it?

Then it is wrong, and the iPad Pro therefore will be released soon!  WooHoo!

• Reply 22 of 53
    Th
    Was it not DigiTimes AND Ming who introduced us to the iPad Pro 12.9"? How interesting it is being reported there is a delay and/or cancellation of the device.
    those that giveth, taketh away
  • Reply 23 of 53
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Digitimes, shut up

• Reply 24 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The iPad is a thing of beauty at the moment, the iPad Air is a joy to use. This is breathing room to look at other products, such as whatever their new thing will be.

• Reply 25 of 53
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    The Jumbo pad rumor was preposterous from the start, so no news there. And on the second rumor, I will give a far east source the benefit of the doubt on rumors happening on there side of the hemisphere, but having inside info from ARIZONA? ...Yeah right.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    “[B]When it’s operating at full capacity[/B], this plant is going to be producing as much as two times the current worldwide capacity,” he said. The factory [B]will be able to make enough sapphire for 80 million to 100 million iPhones a year[/B]..."

"... estimated that GT could make sapphire screens at $6.40 per unit and they would be sold for $8.00 unit."
    "... estimated that 42m units could be made in 2014 and more than 85 million in 2015."
    "...estimate was based on modeling a much larger Samsung phone, however Apple is likely to be under 5 inches and not close to 5.5 inches, which would increase the yield estimate by 30% or more."

Emphasis is mine.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

iPad Pro is an incredibly stupid idea when you consider the size, utility, and awesomeness of the MacBook Air. I don’t believe Apple would be dumb enough to consider such a move.

Ikrupp, tried adding my comment to thumbs up but it screws up thinking I had too many letters. Regular problem.

I had four more letters  available yet got the “too many characters message”. Should have gone ‘cancel’ I guess, but retried instead & changed it to the following (56 spaces and letters):

“iPad too large. Mini next for me. 13’ iPad overkill. DOA"

Regardless, agree with your idea. “stupid idea” is blunt but hits gold for truth. Top podium.

• Reply 28 of 53
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Rumor. Rumor. No substantiation. No knowledge of Apples plans
  • Reply 29 of 53
    emesemes Posts: 239member

It could just be a large "family tablet" like those Dell all-in-ones, in which case "pro" would be a misnomer. Which it should be, because I can't imagine anyone lugging that to work every day.

• Reply 30 of 53
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

Apple supply chain rumors: 'iPad Pro' on hold, sapphire production limited

This smells like a real stinker,   the recipe :   take 1 part A ( constrained sapphire availability) mix with 1 part B (  unannounced imagined product)

sprinkle generously  with c (  unforeseen catastrophic delays) ,   blend and serve warm to eager publishing community .  

I could do this all day  Try it for yourself...   let's all serve up this annoying tripe    Any standards  AI ?  Any?

• Reply 31 of 53
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

It could just be a large "family tablet" like those Dell all-in-ones, in which case "pro" would be a misnomer. Which it should be, because I can't imagine anyone lugging that to work every day.

"lugging" 

• Reply 32 of 53
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I believe a general consumer would rather have a thin lightweight tablet than a full fledged Mac. MacBook Air is on its way out IMO. What does it do for an everyday consumer than an iPad doesn't?

Being a Macbook instead of a tablet: USB3, T-bolt and OS X, for three.  It's a totally different animal, similar only in that it's thin and light.  

IOS and OS X are complementary to the max, but there are times when someone just wants to be in OS X.  And if certain kinds of work are in the cards the MBA is still a good pick.  Let's face it: an iPad isn't the right tool for everything.

• Reply 33 of 53
    Well I'm still hoping to see the iMaxi-Pad this year!
  • Reply 34 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I believe a general consumer would rather have a thin lightweight tablet than a full fledged Mac. MacBook Air is on its way out IMO. What does it do for an everyday consumer than an iPad doesn't?

You might be right in the long term regarding everyday consumers. As to the use for a larger tablet, there maybe a pro market in music and graphics just as there is with the 'Mac Pro' for Mac users.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

"lugging" 

Instead of linking non-Apple products to make them look bad, you could have linked to Apple products such as these.  But I guess it would not have been as much fun.

• Reply 36 of 53
    Are they hinting a large IPad with sapphire screen?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    An iPad Pro would be a great idea for the Pro market. I can see music/audio and photoetc users for it. It is not intended to be a mass market product I would think.

Aperture for iOS
    GarageBand Pro
    Pro Tools for iOS

Etc.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    emes wrote: »
    People lug 15" laptops around all day, for many a 12" iPad would be a huge improvement.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    haggar wrote: »
    Instead of linking non-Apple products to make them look bad, you could have linked to Apple products such as these.  But I guess it would not have been as much fun.

Hey now I always liked the form factor of the Mac Plus. The portability of the new Mac Pro kinda reminds me of that machine. Obviously the screen isn't included and there is a massive difference in performance but the idea of a desktop class computer that travels well has always been a positive with me.

In fact Apple could stuff an LCD into a similar box and I'd be willing to invest in one. With modern chips performance would be good. Of course much of the software world depends upon large screens these days, so at best you will have compromises, but apps written for the machine would not be a problem.

Oh by the way I know about the iMac and frankly there is no contest here with respect to a portable desktop computer. IMac is large and frankly unstable in places where a Mac Plus like machine would be right at home.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

iPad Pro is an incredibly stupid idea when you consider the size, utility, and awesomeness of the MacBook Air.

I considered those things. That’s why I want the product of the future, not the product of 2007.

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The Jumbo pad rumor was preposterous from the start, so no news there.

A tablet of a usable size is preposterous? This isn’t SamsungInsider.

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

GarageBand Pro

Called Logic. But we wouldn’t need it anyway; GarageBand would be fine on a larger screen.