Apple investigating stylus with extendable 'multitouch' nib, onboard light and motion sensors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Oh thou irony.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Mr Jobs was a salesman (among other things). Of course whatever it was he was promoting from Apple would be the ideal size, or interface, or display, or whatever. If a competitor offered something different it shouldn't come as surprise that he dismissed it as useless, wrong size , wrong something. He certainly wasn't going to admit to any device advantage that he didn't sell. No salesman would.

He didn't have to admit anything. He could've easily said "you don't need a stylus for the iPhone like for other phones" Notice how this thread has been ignored by the usual suspects. A company that they idolize is looking into building something that it's very revered then CEO once said nobody wanted.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    ws11 wrote: »
    Are you asking about a passive stylus for the iPad?  What do you plan on using the stylus for?

I've seen quite a few people using a stylus on a iPhone. They can type remarkedly fast with it.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Please lord bring a stylus to the iPad.

Painting and taking notes with my finger sucks!

I have been waiting years for this
  • Reply 25 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There's always this one.
    .... we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

If your point is that Steve Jobs wasn't always right about everything then I don't see why you especially see that as significant. If they tested multiple sizes and at that point in time decided 10" gave the best experience then that's what they thought. They are allowed to change their minds during further testing.

You also took that quote out of context. The statement was:

"There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/oct/22/ipad-mini-steve-jobs-7in-tablets

The context was discussing 7" tablets that have 45% of the area of the 10" iPad. The iPad Mini has 60% of the area and as Phil Schiller demonstrated on stage, the software UI they developed and screen aspect they chose plays a large role in how much you can see on screen.
    If you're going to stand on stage in front of the world you should carefully choose what you're going to say, because people will dissect, and analyze it many times over.

What they say would then be uninteresting like when people go out of their way to be politically correct. It's a waste of time trying to do that anyway because internet commenters will try to find something to complain about no matter what is said.

Every time Apple comes out with a new product, they say it's the best device they've made e.g the Mac Pro is the best Mac they've made. The Retina MBP or iMac could easily still be the best Mac but it depends on what aspect is being considered. If you read too much into it then that's where the fault lies, not with what they're saying.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Marvin wrote: »
    If your point is that Steve Jobs wasn't always right about everything then I don't see why you especially see that as significant.

Of course he wasn't always right; none of us ever is. What's significant is how that very same quote was used to ridicule a competitor when they included a stylus. Your response to my posting wasn't "SJ wasn't always right" instead you chose to tell me what you think he meant, and since SJ isn't around to tell us what he meant I'm left with no choice but to take it at face value.

It's funny how everyone that ridiculed Samsung for including a stylus is conveniently absent from this thread because now they look foolish. At least Spartan had enough honor, and integrity to say the SJ's vision was blurry in response to my comment.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Of course he wasn't always right; none of us ever is. What's significant is how that very same quote was used to ridicule a competitor when they included a stylus.

Is Apple considering including the stylus with the product? Are they going to bring it to market? They have patents for goggles too but they haven't brought them to market and we make fun of Google Glass, as does Apple ('that glass looks half full').
    Your response to my posting wasn't "SJ wasn't always right" instead you chose to tell me what you think he meant, and since SJ isn't around to tell us what he meant I'm left with no choice but to take it at face value.

You didn't take his comment at face value, you took it out of context and declared how you interpreted it outside that context. I put it back into context and said how I interpreted it inside that context.
    It's funny how everyone that ridiculed Samsung for including a stylus is conveniently absent from this thread because now they look foolish.

Apple hasn't included a stylus with their products nor have they manufactured one yet so I don't really see how. If Apple drilled a hole into the iPad, stuck a standard stylus in it and shipped it then they might very well get some ridicule for it.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Steve was kinda silly in this respect. Stylus are EXACTLY what artists use. His view was blurred on this unfortunately.

Check out the "worlds most realistic finger painting" of Morgan Freeman by artist Kyle Lambert ... I think you might change your mind.

http://www.kylelambert.co.uk/gallery/morgan-freeman/

• Reply 29 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    newbee wrote: »
    Check out the "worlds most realistic finger painting" of Morgan Freeman by artist Kyle Lambert ... I think you might change your mind.

Cool video! Thanks for that link, but over 200 hours to complete it? Wonder how much faster he would have been with a stylus. ;)
  • Reply 30 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Apple hasn't included a stylus with their products nor have they manufactured one yet so I don't really see how. If Apple drilled a hole into the iPad, stuck a standard stylus in it and shipped it then they might very well get some ridicule for it.

What's wrong with a piece of string and some duct tape? Geesh, people overthink these things.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Cool video! Thanks for that link, but over 200 hours to complete it? Wonder how much faster he would have been with a stylus. ;)

He's not 'nobody', so he doesn't need a stylus. :lol:
  • Reply 32 of 34
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Cool video! Thanks for that link, but over 200 hours to complete it? Wonder how much faster he would have been with a stylus. image

Maybe, but according to my wife, faster is never better.    ;)

• Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If your point is that Steve Jobs wasn't always right about everything then I don't see why you especially see that as significant. If they tested multiple sizes and at that point in time decided 10" gave the best experience then that's what they thought. They are allowed to change their minds during further testing.

You also took that quote out of context. The statement was:

"There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/oct/22/ipad-mini-steve-jobs-7in-tablets

The context was discussing 7" tablets that have 45% of the area of the 10" iPad. The iPad Mini has 60% of the area and as Phil Schiller demonstrated on stage, the software UI they developed and screen aspect they chose plays a large role in how much you can see on screen.

What they say would then be uninteresting like when people go out of their way to be politically correct. It's a waste of time trying to do that anyway because internet commenters will try to find something to complain about no matter what is said.

Every time Apple comes out with a new product, they say it's the best device they've made e.g the Mac Pro is the best Mac they've made. The Retina MBP or iMac could easily still be the best Mac but it depends on what aspect is being considered. If you read too much into it then that's where the fault lies, not with what they're saying.

I would add that the resolution and general screen quality was a lot worse at the advent of the iPad, another reason for sticking to 10 inch. Although it's true that the iPad Mini came out at the lower resolution, the screen quality had improved by that point, making the 8" screen more feasible. And with advances in screen quality plus the retina display, even more feasible today.

• Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Nope...not really. It's a painting. In terms of accurate drawing for say comics and other things, the iPad doesn't cut it due to lack of pressure sensitivity. That's why almost all artists are still using WACOMS...the iPad just cannot compete with it.