Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For just a moment when I noticed you quoted me I thought you might know the answer. image

you didn't know th=e answer to start with. Just reminding you and all others of your FUD

• Reply 62 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    you didn't know th=e answer to start with.

So that must make two of us then. Guess I'll wait for the OP. He probably knows the answer.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Quote:

So that must make two of us then. Guess I'll wait for the OP. He probably knows the answer.

no, wrong again- just you

• Reply 64 of 67
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.

Yes, but if I had no computing device, and I wanted to get an AppleTV to watch Netflix, there's nothing stopping me from signing up at, say, the library.  Or on a friend's computer.  Or is there?  AFAIK, all Netflix cares about is that they get your CC info, and that your payments go through.

• Reply 65 of 67
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mensmovement View Post

Gatorgu:

Sorry, but unless you own I-Phones, I-Pads and I-Pods, there is no reason to prefer Apple TV over Chromecast. And as Google Chrome does run on IOS devices, the $64 is a compelling reason to prefer Chromecast over Apple TV even if you do, especially if you have multiple TVs. 4 TVs, 4 Apple TVs = $400, the price of an Ipad 4. 4 Chromecasts that you can get for as little as $25 apiece from some outlet? Exactly.

Nope Mr Google, you're not getting into my personal pictures. I ran into you when looking at a Sony TV device, so I  passed on it. My Mr Google you're popping up everywhere, but I'll definitely avoid buying anything you have your spying eye into.

That may even mean I avoid buying certain cars or car models, if you are looking at me from them.

Having you spying on my Internet use, is more than enough of you!

• Reply 66 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    In related news Synology's DiskStation just got an update that enables official streaming of all your personal and iTunes media to the Chromecast.
    http://bit.ly/1fjlBsp
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Nope Mr Google, you're not getting into my personal pictures. I ran into you when looking at a Sony TV device, so I  passed on it. My Mr Google you're popping up everywhere, but I'll definitely avoid buying anything you have your spying eye into.

That may even mean I avoid buying certain cars or car models, if you are looking at me from them.

Having you spying on my Internet use, is more than enough of you!

That is a legitimate consideration, but it was not raised by the guy that I replied to, the one who insisted that anyone who was unwilling to pay 3 times as much for a device that did basically the same thing was a loser. That gets thrown around a lot around here, and the reason is rarely concerns over Google collecting, storing and sharing your data. 

Incidentally, I am not going to get a Chromecast anyway. I was going to get an Apple TV, but its not supporting Amazon Prime is a dealbreaker for me, because Amazon is a big #2 for me to Netflix (and I would use it even more if they were to come out with a Netflix-like user interface). So I am far more likely to get the Amazon dongle it seems.