Photos show seamless glass cuboid to cap new Turkish Apple Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 22 of 28
    weejockweejock Posts: 32member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Or like with the Monterey Aquarium Open Seas exhibit the seams are essentially invisible. Which, given the thickness of those panels is quite the achievement.
    http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-experiences/live-web-cams/open-sea-cam

That's an excellent link. Thanks for sharing - it's going in a science lesson tomorrow as something awesome to think about.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by weejock View Post

That's an excellent link. Thanks for sharing - it's going in a science lesson tomorrow as something awesome to think about.

Somewhere else I read they delivered the panel in five pieces and chemically bonded them onsite. 

• Reply 24 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Somewhere else I read they delivered the panel in five pieces and chemically bonded them onsite. 

I believe that sight unseen. That sounds exactly like something Apple would do.

• Reply 25 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe that sight unseen. That sounds exactly like something Apple would do.

I was referring to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and they had site access issues (no good crane access) so it might be that Apple could use more modern crane tech to get a single piece dropped in there. Plus while the acrylic panels of Open Seas lends itself to chemical bonding I don't know how glass would be fused to provide the same invisible bonds. I've looked closely at the Monterey panels and there's barely a waver  with the two faces of the adjoining panels maintaining the light path close to perfectly... and those panels are many inches thick to resist the pressure of the display's water.

Heavy lift tech has improved greatly since the 80's so I wouldn't be surprised by a one piece panel. (Coupled to a very strict "NO SNOWBLOWERS!" policy... lol)

One quibble, for a "cube" I'd want the height to better match the linear dimensions.

• Reply 26 of 28
    Apple Store Dubai will be completely glass, 50' cubed, and hovering unsupported about 200 feet off the ground.

An istore for the irabs.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    shogun wrote: »
    Crack reporting there. "Seems to be" seamless. What, based on an Instagram photo? Btw, isn't that a seam I see?

Seemingly.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've never been to this Mall of America but I'm glad you replied. Note that I stated they seemed drab which clearly implies "gives the impression or sensation of being something or having a particular quality" which therefore means it's my impression, not some general impression I expect everyone else to adhere to or that I'm stating as an absolute proof that can't be questioned. If you had written it I imagine it would read like this, "Every mall store was drab until Apple came along."

Nothing wrong with drab. I take refuge in drab.