Analysis affirms Apple's A7 processor closer to a desktop CPU than regular mobile chip

Comments

• Reply 181 of 209
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    hey don't play, and probably don't know much about the game itself. It also has little to do with professional soccer or 'football'.

But everything to do with sucker, no?
  • Reply 182 of 209
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    But everything to do with sucker, no?

I have no idea what you're referring to, but no. It's not a 'MILF' like term.
  • Reply 183 of 209
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The minivan of computers. Loved by soccer* moms everywhere.

* Do other countries have a similar term?

Footie Tootsies :smokey:

LOL
  • Reply 184 of 209
    crowley wrote: »
    Nah, in other countries they're just "moms". "Soccer" aka football is for everyone.

:lol: They're just "moms" here as well. It's a term used to describe suburanite mothers that take their sons/daughters to soccer practice/games in a mini van or SUV. They don't play, and probably don't know much about the game itself. It also has little to do with professional soccer or 'football'.

Mmm... don't be too sure! My daughter has three teens: girl 18; boys 14 and 15. Since 2005, her kids have played summer league soccer May-Nov, with each child having [at least] 2 practices and 1 game per week. The kids also play on middle or high school teams -- the youngest boy finished his last 2013 JV tournament on March 22.

My daughter has been team mom on several teams including both summer league and high school. She attended her first soccer game in the 1980s -- we had season tickets to the original San Jose Earthquakes. Periodically, the Quakes would play special teams featuring international stars such as Maradona.

She is a student of the game and understands the basics better than many of the coaches.

Here's her youngest from a few years back:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 185 of 209
    Mmm... don't be too sure! My daughter has three teens: girl 18; boys 14 and 15. Since 2005, her kids have played summer league soccer May-Nov, with each child having [at least] 2 practices and 1 game per week. The kids also play on middle or high school teams -- the youngest boy finished his last 2013 JV tournament on March 22.

My daughter has been team mom on several teams including both summer league and high school. She attended her first soccer game in the 1980s -- we had season tickets to the original San Jose Earthquakes. Periodically, the Quakes would play special teams featuring international stars such as Maradona.

She is a student of the game and understands the basics better than many of the coaches.

Here's her youngest from a few years back:

[VIDEO]

I did say probably, there's always going to be the exception, but good info. Thanks ;) oh, and GOOOOL.
  • Reply 186 of 209

I did say probably, there's always going to be the exception, but good info. Thanks ;) oh, and GOOOOL.

I just told my daughter about our discussion ... She laughed and said: "If I have to explain off side to one more coach ..."
  • Reply 187 of 209
    I just told my daughter about our discussion ... She laughed and said: "If I have to explain off side to one more coach ..."

That offsides rule is tricky. Most people think a player can't receive the ball behind the defense, but that's wrong. The receiver can get the ball behind the defense as long as he/she wasn't behind the defense at the start of the pass/play. It's often a bang bang play, and I'm actually quite surprised that it gets called correctly just about every time, because the side judges are quite a bit away from the field of play aka 'the pitch'.
  • Reply 188 of 209

That offsides rule is tricky. Most people think a player can't receive the ball behind the defense, but that's wrong. The receiver can get the ball behind the defense as long as he/she wasn't behind the defense at the start of the pass/play. It's often a bang bang play, and I'm actually quite surprised that it gets called correctly just about every time, because the side judges are quite a bit away from the field of play aka 'the pitch'.

Exactly! Her oldest son knows the game well and frequently acts as a side judge -- he is considering taking classes in referee training to earn some extra $.

There are some very good coaches that the grandkids have played for and they have been well taught! It's kind of rewarding to see a savvy team pull an offside trap or properly deploy a sweeper or a striker -- when they have the talent.

The grandkids were 5 when they started playing (both next door neighbors are coaches). It's rewarding to see them progress: At about age 7-8 they learn how to pass well ... at about age 8-9 they learn that if they pass the ball well, they will likely get it back ... Then they learn plays :D

Sadly, it is amazing the number of 15 year-olds, who have played for years, who don't know how to inbound the ball. The grandkids were drilled on this from age 5.

Here's an indication of the level of talent, though. My oldest grandson (age 10 at the time) played forward on the summer league championship team. The video, below shows his teammate Zack, a midfielder handling the ball with ability and intelligence. This was originally a 7-second clip. I slowed the clip down to highlight the footwork ... Zack, in red, repeatedly out fakes and out plays his opponent. This is from the championship game:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 189 of 209
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

image They're just "moms" here as well. It's a term used to describe suburanite mothers that take their sons/daughters to soccer practice/games in a mini van or SUV. They don't play, and probably don't know much about the game itself. It also has little to do with professional soccer or 'football'.

Of the soccer moms I know, several played in college…and our team is a mellow one.  The local tournaments are sponsored by the local club…in our case DC United.  The MLS logo is on pretty much every uniform (as a patch) except the rec league teams.  Soccer is one of the most popular sports for kids in the US and the MLS isn't stupid…for relatively little cost they're growing a generation of future fans. 

• Reply 190 of 209
    Quote:

It's not that bad once it's explained clearly.  Futsal is easier.  No offsides rule.

• Reply 191 of 209
    nht wrote: »
    It's not that bad once it's explained clearly.  Futsal is easier.  No offsides rule.

What's funny is all the players that raise their hand to signal offsides and stop playing the ball allowing the opposing player to score. It happens at every level even the pros.
  • Reply 192 of 209
    Exactly! Her oldest son knows the game well and frequently acts as a side judge -- he is considering taking classes in referee training to earn some extra $.

There are some very good coaches that the grandkids have played for and they have been well taught! It's kind of rewarding to see a savvy team pull an offside trap or properly deploy a sweeper or a striker -- when they have the talent.

The grandkids were 5 when they started playing (both next door neighbors are coaches). It's rewarding to see them progress: At about age 7-8 they learn how to pass well ... at about age 8-9 they learn that if they pass the ball well, they will likely get it back ... Then they learn plays :D

Sadly, it is amazing the number of 15 year-olds, who have played for years, who don't know how to inbound the ball. The grandkids were drilled on this from age 5.

Here's an indication of the level of talent, though. My oldest grandson (age 10 at the time) played forward on the summer league championship team. The video, below shows his teammate Zack, a midfielder handling the ball with ability and intelligence. This was originally a 7-second clip. I slowed the clip down to highlight the footwork ... Zack, in red, repeatedly out fakes and out plays his opponent. This is from the championship game:

[VIDEO]

That's pretty good. Thanks for sharing. Soccer or football is one game where the skill level between the pros, and the amateurs is exceedingly obvious. If you're used to watching the Premier League, or La Liga it's almost painful to watch a MLS game. :lol:
  • Reply 193 of 209
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

What's funny is all the players that raise their hand to signal offsides and stop playing the ball allowing the opposing player to score. It happens at every level even the pros.

Also funny -- when someone who frequently plays goal keep (my youngest grandson included) is playing defender and forgets, and picks up the ball to punt it :D
  • Reply 194 of 209
    :lol: They're just "moms" here as well. It's a term used to describe suburanite mothers that take their sons/daughters to soccer practice/games in a mini van or SUV. They don't play, and probably don't know much about the game itself. It also has little to do with professional soccer or 'football'.

Of the soccer moms I know, several played in college…and our team is a mellow one.  The local tournaments are sponsored by the local club…in our case DC United.  The MLS logo is on pretty much every uniform (as a patch) except the rec league teams.  Soccer is one of the most popular sports for kids in the US and the MLS isn't stupid…for relatively little cost they're growing a generation of future fans. 

Yes! And many of the boys are looking for soccer scholarships. Sadly, there are very few soccer scholarships for the girls.
  • Reply 195 of 209

That's pretty good. Thanks for sharing. Soccer or football is one game where the skill level between the pros, and the amateurs is exceedingly obvious. If you're used to watching the Premier League, or La Liga it's almost painful to watch a MLS game. :lol:

Ha! Did you ever see a MISL game. :D

When the early San Jose Earthquake's league dissolved, they owners renamed the team as the Golden Bay Earthquakes" and played indoors in Oakland. AIR, they had some pretty good players such as Fernando Clavijo.

But the indoor game ... It just wasn't right ... passing off the sidewalls like hockey ... :\
  • Reply 196 of 209
    Yes! And many of the boys are looking for soccer scholarships. Sadly, there are very few soccer scholarships for the girls.

Really? I recently on heard on sports radio that coaches can't find enough girls to fill their scholarship spots, and recruit them at a young age even though it's against the rules.
  • Reply 197 of 209
    Ha! Did you ever see a MISL game. :D

When the early San Jose Earthquake's league dissolved, they owners renamed the team as the Golden Bay Earthquakes" and played indoors in Oakland. AIR, they had some pretty good players such as Fernando Clavijo.

But the indoor game ... It just wasn't right ... passing off the sidewalls like hockey ... :\

Like Arena Football which is equally painful to watch.
  • Reply 198 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A soccer coach tried to sell me on the allure of soccer scholarship…never mind that most kids won't get one…and what my kid needed was more (expensive) clinics.  After a while I got tired of the hard sell I replied that I could find a $20,000 soccer scholarship for my 8 year old son instantly if I wanted to.  When he asked how I replied "by dropping travel soccer and stashing all that money into his college fund over the next 10 years instead".

We moved clubs.  I like mellow.  Competitive, but mellow.  No screaming dads on the sidelines cursing their 10 year olds over a bad play or the ref over a bad call.  The club, truth be told, isn't as good but he's not on the top level team anyway.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Gray player wimped.  My kid is tiny and not all that great a player but has heart.  He'd have put his shoulder into Zach on the challenge for a 50-50 ball.  Especially if outmatched.  It's hard to do fancy footwork with an opponent shoulder to shoulder on you keeping you off balance.  Plus Zach committed a foul by pushing off the other player with his straightened arm into the his stomach.  Gray player isn't even acting…in one frame he's literally up in the air getting shoved backwards by the hand in his stomach.

There are some teams that aggressively practice shoulder tackles.  Ours doesn't practice it at all but some of the kids do know how.  Oddly it's the skinny little ones.

• Reply 199 of 209
    My kid is tiny and not all that great a player but has heart.

Much heart? Consider boxing then. The great thing about soccer is that one doesn't have to be big/tall. Leo Messi was a sickly kid, his talents were obvious at a early age but none of the clubs in Argentina were willing to foot the bill for his expensive medical treatment. His parents then took him to Barcelona where the club immediately saw his potential and agreed to pay for his treatments. Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta are all well under 6' tall.
  • Reply 200 of 209
    Quote:

That's pretty good. Thanks for sharing. Soccer or football is one game where the skill level between the pros, and the amateurs is exceedingly obvious. If you're used to watching the Premier League, or La Liga it's almost painful to watch a MLS game. image

My kid's former rec coach's dad played for Madrid.  So of course I have him show up first day of practice in a Messi jersey I got for him on a trip to barcelona...

I tell my kid that Real Madrid signed an 11 year old.  He rolls his eyes at me while mom gives me the stink eye.

What is amazing is the kids that Joshua are waltzing past are other top U12 players that would likely be the star player of a team anywhere but Madrid.