Who uses an iMac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Mmm...I like Tigerwood's iMac, but it just isn't consistent with the classic design thing of the iMac. What if...

We keep a low priced CRT iMac rehashed for the grannies who think 640 x 480 is a fine resolution anyway...

700MHz G3

128MB RAM

CD ROM

Rage Ultra 16MB

13.8" Viewable CRT

$599

Then introduce the new, Tigerwoods iMacs...with DVD drives, 133MHz bus, dual full size bays, LCD screens, sleek anodized steel enclosures of glinting onyx hues, and Sahara ecstacy paired with nVida glory. Basically your cube redux. I love the enclosure for the PS2 and I think it should be looked upon for inspiration. Kind of a very mini minitower.

800MHz G3

128MB RAM

30GB HD

DVD

15.2" Powerbook LCD

GeForce 2MX 32MB

$999

933MHz G3

256MB RAM

40GB HD

16X CDRW

15.2" Powerbook LCD

GeForce 2MX 32MB

$1299

1.13GHz G3

256MB RAM

60GB HD

DVD

16X CDRW

15.2" Powerbook LCD

GeForce 2MX 64MB w/ TwinView

$1499

I'd actually buy one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds good, MacAddict.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    See, before Expos I get into this frenzy and everytime the possibility of a new hardware revision is mentioned I always have to think out linup possibilities. Anyway, now that I've read the AI article I have a feeling it will go like this:

800MHz G3

100MHz Bus

GeForce 2MX

15" TFT 1024 x 768

128, 256, 256MB RAM

30, 40, 60GB HD

DVD, CDRW, Combo

$999, $1299, $1499.

I really like that except for the processor speed. I...want...one...gigahertz!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    IDEAL MWSF2002 iMac:
    • 1.0 Ghz G3 (across the whole line-up)

• 133Mhz FSB (Front Side Bus)

• 15" LCD @ 1024x768

• 32MB GeForce 2mx

• DVD / CD-RW / Combo drive options

• various amounts of RAM and HD

• for $1499 or less

This would be a really good value computer from Apple at a decent price. A unit like that would be viable for years.

And, finally, we'll have a Mac gaming computer than doesn't break the bank.

I'd buy one in the blink of an eye. Here's hoping.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 44
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    MacAddict seems to be the most grounded in reality among you.

His post (two above mine) seems the most reasonable, based on 2-3 years of history and patterns.

Those of you expecting a 1GHz G4 iMac with a SuperDrive and so forth are really scraping against the outer wall, aren't you?

"Oh yes...let's jack up our consumer level Mac to a level BEYOND what we've ever had a pro Mac at...AND let's sell it for $1299 too!".

I'm sure that's EXACTLY what Apple has planned.

Between stuff like that and this 1.6GHz G5 business, some of you are going to be completely inconsolable basket cases come MWSF.

Realize that Apple WILL NOT make some 200% jump in MHz OVERNIGHT just because YOU want them to or because they "should".

Hey, I want to be as optimistic and so forth as the next guy. BUT, I also can't ignore previous behavior and patterns.

Yeah, I expect a new iMac. But it won't be more than 900MHz...and that's pushing it, IMO. And a G4 and SuperDrive? Yeah...

I'm telling you...some of you had BETTER grab the reins a bit over the next few weeks because I'm starting to worry about you and don't want to hear any reports that any of you jumped off a bridge come MWSF because some of the wild-ass Macs you're so sure are coming don't materialize.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I have two, and at one time had three, iMacs.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    *ahem*

There are lots of "ideal MWSF iMac" threads in Future Hardware already.

Thanks.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gigawire:

<strong>Who uses these underpowered overpriced POS's. And what for? mp3 playing and word processing? I just don't understand why anyone would want to use an iMac? Help me understand you!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this dumb**** trollhead....saved me the time to respond...hey fool get a life...in January the best iMacs (best computer) ever are coming to town.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this dumb**** trollhead....saved me the time to respond...hey fool get a life...in January the best iMacs (best computer) ever are coming to town. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hopefully.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    gigawire,

i own an imac dv se 400 (the original graphite), and it has been an incredibly smart decision for one main reason -- i have not used it professionally as often as i thought i would have... which means i would have blown an incredible amount of money on a high-end machine that would not have lived up to its price tag in the long run.

so it has served me very well for internet browsing, word processing, some gaming (though it was better when i first got it - i now hunt the bargain shelves for old games which still rock), some photoshop and illustrator work -- though, again, not as much as i thought i would.

as i have told dozens of people when they ask me what they should do about upgrading, i say:

buy...

...the BEST computer...

...that you can AFFORD...

...to do the WORK (or PLAY) you need it to...

...RIGHT NOW...

...or, at the very least, VERY SOON.

since it starts losing value the day you get it home, that's the only equation to ensure the best bang-for-your-buck. and if you're buying for gaming, be prepared to upgrade your video card yearly -- or twice yearly -- if you want the best and latest games. which is why i don't understand people who buy personal or professional computers for gaming -- you may as well buy the bleeding edge console every year for the cost you would shell out for video, hard drive and ram upgrades to get the most out of games. plus, most pc games are also being released for xbox/ps2 simultaneously these days anyway, since the hardware is pretty similar (and, hey, it gets them more money), so you're not missing out on much.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 44
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    MacAddict, why would an imac need TwinView? Anyway, I know there are people out there like me so here goes: I don't want to buy a $2500 machine to play the few mac games there are. The GeForce 2MX is obsolete. It is slower than the Radeon in some tests even. The new LCD iMac SE should have a GeForce 3 Ti 200 in it. I could go out and buy an $850 PC that would outgame the iMac with a GeForce 2. The iMac has always had last years 3D technology and it is time for a change. To be forced into buying a "pro" maching just so you can play games is so stupid.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Dual headed iMac! How cool would that be?

"Hey, I see you have a dual monitor set up. Where's the computer?"

"Oh, thats the computer. Notice the little buldge?"
  • Reply 32 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Dual headed iMac! How cool would that be?

"Hey, I see you have a dual monitor set up. Where's the computer?"

"Oh, thats the computer. Notice the little buldge?"</strong><hr></blockquote>

But there's no point in that with the iMac.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I bought my iMac DVSE to edit home video, and guess what, it does a great job. I have to laugh at all the PC weenies where i work, they trash macs up and down, the head to the back and guess what they do? edit their videos on my iMac. I'd have a lot more faith in PC weenies if they weren't so damn 2 faced. They really oughta jus go and spend the hours it takes to get editing working on thier systems. That would be the PC spirit. Not caving in and looking for the quick out.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    markmark Posts: 143member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Why kidding, Mark? It was one of the most subversive things Apple has ever released. I cackled with glee when Steve unveiled the Flower Power iMac because I just knew that all the self-styled tech ghods whose computers are proxies for their other heads would howl with outrage. And I knew that nontraditional computer buyers would snap it up.

I wish that it had been the best-selling iMac to date, just so I could watch the Slashdotters and "serious" PC users squirm. Muahahahahahaha!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I appreciate the subversive element of the patterns a great deal - it's the ultimate statement against 'PC Weenie' imperialism. Some have even reacted as though they've taken personal offense!

But of course, this wasn't the reason why I bought the computer; that's what I meant. Just imagine if you had that much cash; to start spending it only to spite other people...

Anyway, I remember vigorously supporting 'Flower Power' and 'Blue Dalmation." These forums were flush with pathetic knee-jerk reactions after they were introduced. Lucky that there's no archive to shame the guilty (or insecure. )

Cheers,

Mark.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Mark ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 44
    I use it now 100% of the time. i previously had an iBook but it died on me and my Wintel PC is now really old & slow. I know 2 girls in our family (11 & 13) who use one for games, internet and, occasionally, homework!!! and the love it.

Besides which its compact. Having borrowed a PowerMac G4 I appreciate being able to move my iMac easily in one go.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    At home I have a first-gen iMac and have NO plans to replace it anytime soon. For $1200, I have recieved MORE THAN ENOUGH BANG FOR MY BUCK. I've had very few problems with it, I can do anything I want. It still is more reliable than my work PC (2000). It is my accounting ledger, my web design platform, my music typesetter, home recording studio, internet surfer, and all-around fun-box.

In addition, I have an entire lab full of them that are used to teach students about computers and music. They are still plenty cutting edge, and the user interface does not get in the way of the learning experience.

'nuff said!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    My iMac(bottom of the line 500MHz, no CDRW, 1Gig of RAM though...) is now three weeks old. Gotta tell you guys that the relative silence is golden. I use it to run my little business from home. I just sold my G4(Sawtooth, 450MHz, 32MB Radeon) and my home built PC(1.4GHz AMD Athlon, GeForce3 Ti 200). The PC was used mainly as a gaming machine and the G4 was my main vein. However, the high pitched noises that both machines put out got to me after a while.

Despite the iMac's obvious shortcomings compared to the G4 and the PC, I have to say that spending hours on end in front of it is a pleasure. My two cents...
  • Reply 38 of 44
    in our house:

1. Grandma uses our 1999 imac dv 400mhz to check email, write letters, shop on-line, read movie reviews and make flyers and maps for her work at the local church and Habitat for Humanity...

2. Girls (two daughters)-do homework, search web, check email, play games, make cards and flyers, edit home movies, burn cds.

3. Wife--check email, write letters, make flyers and business cards for aerobics, surf web

4. Me--check email, burn cds, edit home movies, quicken, surf web, shop on-line, use quark to publish small press books and chap books, etc

we have 5 people in our house using this little all in one computer everyday for the last two years and it does everything we need from it....

it will go into one of the girls room for their own use when we get a new lcd imac this winter/spring....the girls need more hd space to edit movies....g
  • Reply 39 of 44
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    My friend came into town the day I planned to go out to buy my first computer in 10 years. He is a PC weenie and did not understand why I wanted to look at Macs only. I bought a iMac (Sage). He shook his head and snickered all the way back home. He saw me set it up and start using it within mineuts and was astonished. He saw the ease of use (os9) and wanted to play. After 30 min. he said that he had made a major mistake in buying the PC he had just recently purchased. He did not believe that a 450 mhz machine was sooo fast or could handle soooo many apps. at once. He said that his 1.5 ghz machine felt slower and that he was going to have to make the switch. Basicly the entire point is that iMacs can do a whole lot more than a PC which with my budget was the only other type of "computer" I could have afforded I think I made the right choice.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    I have an imac. But it is more my moms. I use my iBook and G4. But my mom uses OS X on the iMac and uses Word,iTunes,IE, and Mail. It all works out great. At first my mom did not like OS X but now she has rtaken a shine to it.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>