Apple releases iOS 7.1.1 with improvements to Touch ID, keyboard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    It's only 18.8mb for my iPhone5 and 21.3mb for my iPad Air...
  • Reply 42 of 67
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Touch ID improvement already? Has it been just a month?
    Doesn't anyone over there know what they're doing?
  • Reply 43 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Funny, because they didn't issue any updates you'd also claim Apple didn't know what they were doing.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Same problem here. And WHY are iTunes-based updates so slow to download when compared to direct iPhone OTA downloads? Incredible.

OTA is only 30MB !
  • Reply 45 of 67
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    pazuzu wrote: »

Well, the more improvement, the better.

After so many decades, we are still finding improvements in video playback. Doesn't mean the industry are ignorant in this area. It just means they are working actively in said area.

It can be speed, space, feature, security, and other enhancements.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Wake me when they get Swiftkey. Instead of spending more on dividends and buybacks, why not go out and just buy Swiftkey and give us a real keyboard...? The iOS keyboard is a total relic.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    [COLOR=blue][SIZE=4]Oooo... snappier! [/SIZE][/COLOR]
  • Reply 48 of 67
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    dipdog3 wrote: »
    Why did it ask me for my passcode? Is that new?
    It hasn't done it to me before!

Also, Touch ID is blazing fast with this update. It was fast with 7.1, though
  • Reply 49 of 67
    inoseyinosey Posts: 89member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Touch ID couldn't perform better for me.

But, there is one thing that annoys me with it, but it's not actually its fault.

I almost never used passwords before. On my Nexus S I didn't even use a lock screen : a press on the wake button would show me the home screen directly. With touch ID when I receive notifications I can't just swipe the notification and get to it, I need to authenticate first. Same thing goes when I ask some things to Siri and it tells me that I need to unlock first.
    Real first world problems!
    Yeah that's true
  • Reply 50 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Touch ID is by far the best implementation of a fingerprint sensor on any consumer device (look at the fail that is the S5 implementation as an example), and for most people Touch ID works perfectly (at least everyone I know)- and Apple is doing it's best to continuously and actively improve it for the small percentage that are having issues- but no you're right, nobody there has any clue what they're doing. You should go over there and show them how it's done. 

I've stopped being stunned by the self-entitled, ignorant, unappreciative, perspective-lacking, knee-jerk reactive armchair critics that post on the internet. It takes a special kind of person to claim Apple "doesn't know what it's doing" with Touch ID, when in the real world all evidence points towards the fact that its the ONLY company that knows what its doing in the consumer fingerprint biometrics field. 

• Reply 50 of 67
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Sometimes can't answer phone calls from Lock screen. Not sure if it's the OS where Slide to Unlock doesn't.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    It's killing my battery
  • Reply 53 of 67
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Dog forbid they make improvements.

• Reply 54 of 67
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    philboogie wrote: »
    You too? Same here. Though my iTunes Music Library.xml is 133MB which I believe is the file it needs and might explain the long wait. Why it doesn't finish I don't know. No biggie or me; I just noticed it the other day.

I get the long wait before it loads too. It only sends a few megabytes over the network though, and the progress "pie" is only about 1/3 the way through by the time the network has quietened. As previously mentioned, the library loads almost instantly on the AppleTV - which in my case has a slower connection to iTunes (N WiFi vs 100mbps Ethernet).
    clemynx wrote: »
    With touch ID when I receive notifications I can't just swipe the notification and get to it, I need to authenticate first. Same thing goes when I ask some things to Siri and it tells me that I need to unlock first.

That annoys me too. For some simple things such as a Siri web search, a simple sandboxed version of Safari with no personal info in would be good. What annoys me more though, is when you use your iPhone and think of something else you needed to use it for a couple of seconds later; it asks for your fingerprint again. It needs a 10 second or so grace period before requiring your print. Or better still, the ability to change the idle interval for requiring your fingerprint, in the same fashion that you can set 1/5/10/30 mins before you're asked for your passcode again.
  • Reply 55 of 67

AppleInsider, you guys do a great job, but please make a headline when Apple TV has an software update, today was just a mention in a paragraph. Thank you and keep up the great work!

• Reply 56 of 67

26.0 MB on my Aus 5S but why do I need to have Wi-Fi to download 26.0 MB? :(

• Reply 57 of 67
    iOS 7.1.1 just crashed my iPhone 4!!! SO MAD AT YOU APPLE! After update installed, the screen showed a white cord and iTunes logo telling me to connect to the computer. I connected to iTunes and it says the phone must be restored now. :( ...30 minutes just to download restore.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    26.1 GiB for my 16GB AT&T (GSM) iPhone 5S.

Bit of a typo there Soli.
    elijahg wrote: »
    I get the long wait before it loads too. It only sends a few megabytes over the network though, and the progress "pie" is only about 1/3 the way through by the time the network has quietened. As previously mentioned, the library loads almost instantly on the AppleTV - which in my case has a slower connection to iTunes (N WiFi vs 100mbps Ethernet).

Ethernet? Certainly not to your iPhone; for that device I would presume WiFi...

My iPhone now simply times out when loading the Shared iTunes from my Mac. Then the phone falls asleep and when I wake it it doesn't even display the Mac anymore. Not that it matters (to me), but it certainly isn't working. And a setup like this I can understand it being used by some: you get to control your Mac's iTunes from your phone. Though you can already do that from the Remote app. And that one loads the library with all playlists instantly. Weird.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Oooo... snappier!

Damn you, Macky!

For once, I thought we were going to have an update thread without the 'S' word!

;)
  • Reply 60 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »
    For once, I thought we were going to have an update thread without the 'S' word!

;)

Normally we get the a few "zzzz" posts on updates like these, so I like the "snappier" from Macky the Macky.

But maybe you'd prefer a: