Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I think DED needs a write up on this:

http://t.co/duZ71wsOV3

• Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I would be pissed if I bought an S5 and then a couple months later a "premium" version hit the shelves.

I was pissed after buying the 3rd gen iPad only to have it replaced 6 months later with the 4th gen, at the time that seemed like a money grab. If I had known about the 4th gen I would have waited for it.

Having said that, I still have my 3rd gen and it is still running great.

• Reply 23 of 74
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Samsung can't bribe journalists and pay forum posters to deny the reality of its ongoing lowered earnings.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Obviously Samsung have plateaued, Apple are still growing.

It must be the convenient screen size, the most popular on earth.

Also perhaps the "spyware first" Android OS is losing favor with the higher end buyer.

• Reply 25 of 74
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hear they're planning to release a "premium" S5 with a metal case and higher res display. I'd be pissed if I was a current S5 owner.

I hear the Samsung  Galaxy S4 is currently the hottest Samsung phone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600682/Mobile-phone-catches-fire-owner-leaves-charge-asleep.html

Civil servant wakes up at 5am to find her PHONE on fire and 'sizzling' beside her bed

• Reply 26 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Samsung can't bribe journalists and pay forum posters to deny the reality of its ongoing lowered earnings.

They can, however, cook the books.

• Reply 27 of 74
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    What comes to mind, the jig is up.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's the beginning of the end!

Just wait until Apple releases the next iPhone and iPad models! Nobody will be able to compete!

Nobody else is even close to the iPhone 5s, and they will all be even further behind when the various iPhone 6 models drop later this year.

The same desperate morons who panicked and dismissed 64 bit are now busy scrambling trying to figure out how to keep up with Apple and their relentless pace of innovation. Apple took everybody by surprise by moving to 64 bit. Apple looks to the future. Android manufacturers look to the present, and they're just trying to get ignorant fools to part with their money. They don't give a crap about what happens to the customer's phone 6 months after they've already bought it.

Android phones are a no profit business. It's a loser's game. Even Samsung is doing poorly now. Is there any Android phone manufacturer that is not hurting? It's a business for losers who sell mostly cheap junk to people who can not afford anything else. All of the activations in the world doesn't really mean crap, because most Androids are not really being used as smartphones. This assertion is backed up by all sorts of usage stats. Fandroids might as well be invisible, because they're extremely underrepresented, based on their alleged numbers. Android phones are more like feature phones with large screens. And it seems that their customer base might as well be feature phone users. How pathetic is that?

And this massive Apple slaughter that's going to be taking place is not even taking into account any other Apple products that might get released, such as the iWatch, or whatever it's going to be called, and also some sort of new Apple TV.

The main Android phone "innovation" has been increasing the screen size every year (more like every week), big deal, whoopdeedoo. They've now reached a point where they can't really go any bigger. The current phones are already too ridiculously large. They're stuck!

Apple still has plenty of room left to maneuver when it comes to screen size, should they decide to.

Android has got nothing, besides a horrible OS.

For a change, the stars seem to be aligned in Apple's favor at the moment. AAPL is doing good, and moving up really quick. When AAPL first gets going, it's like a rocket.

• Reply 29 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They can, however, cook the books.

I think it would be unlikely for Samsung to be cooking the books in any illegal sense, but they definitely are arranging end-of-quarter sales to help make the quarter look better on paper. The problem is that it all comes to a head so any "sales" that become "refunds" will eventually be counted. Apple surely does the same thing but their small number of products and short inventory coupled with their high demands means it's minimal.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

The fundamental, inescapable problem Samsung faces with its smartphones is that no matter how hard and how well they copy Apple, they're still running the device on a crap platform.  And it will always be crappy because Apple's design goal is to build the best products while Google's is to sell the most ads.  And since ads are basically seen as a nuisance by most people, if you design a product to maximize your ad sales then of course you will be sacrificing user experience to your primary objective.  Crappy will always win out in the end with Google.  But no, Google is not throwing their customers under the proverbial bus --don't forget that the Android phone user is not their customer.

• Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Somehow the analysts will spin this as bad news for Apple.

So much for marketing.

You know in the past I would agree...but after last weeks earnings call, I think Apple has finally dispelled the BS meter from Samsung and also the absolutely stupid analysts have gotten their heads out of their collective @$$es and realize that Samsungs marketing blitz was all smoke and mirrors.

This also could be why Apple was up even more today...Samsung's loss = Apple's gain.

• Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's the beginning of the end!

Just wait until Apple releases the next iPhone and iPad models! Nobody will be able to compete!

Nobody else is even close to the iPhone 5s, and they will all be even further behind when the various iPhone 6 models drop later this year.

The same desperate morons who panicked and dismissed 64 bit are now busy scrambling trying to figure out how to keep up with Apple and their relentless pace of innovation. Apple took everybody by surprise by moving to 64 bit. Apple looks to the future. Android manufacturers look to the present, and they're just trying to get ignorant fools to part with their money. They don't give a crap about what happens to the customer's phone 6 months after they've already bought it.

Android phones are a no profit business. It's a loser's game. Even Samsung is doing poorly now. Is there any Android phone manufacturer that is not hurting? It's a business for losers who sell mostly cheap junk to people who can not afford anything else. All of the activations in the world doesn't really mean crap, because most Androids are not really being used as smartphones. This assertion is backed up by all sorts of usage stats. Fandroids might as well be invisible, because they're extremely underrepresented, based on their alleged numbers. Android phones are more like feature phones with large screens. And it seems that their customer base might as well be feature phone users. How pathetic is that?

And this massive Apple slaughter that's going to be taking place is not even taking into account any other Apple products that might get released, such as the iWatch, or whatever it's going to be called, and also some sort of new Apple TV.

The main Android phone "innovation" has been increasing the screen size every year, big deal. They've now reached a point where they can't really go any bigger. The current phones are already too ridiculously large. They're stuck!

Apple still has plenty of room left to maneuver when it comes to screen size, should they decide to.

For a change, the stars seemed aligned in Apple's favor at the moment. AAPL is doing good, and moving up really quick. When AAPL first gets going, it's like a rocket.

Remember that moron from Qualcomm that said the 64 bit was a marketing joke...he's was reassigned...lol.

• Reply 33 of 74
    apple ][ wrote: »

The main Android phone "innovation" has been increasing the screen size every year (more like every week), big deal, whoopdeedoo. They've now reached a point where they can't really go any bigger. The current phones are already too ridiculously large. They're stuck!

For a change, the stars seem to be aligned in Apple's favor at the moment. AAPL is doing good, and moving up really quick. When AAPL first gets going, it's like a rocket.

This. Qualcomm won't have 64bit until early 2015, and even then it's based off ARMs A57 cores which are already behind Apples A7 cores. 16 months after the A7 and Qualcomm will still be behind. Qualcomm and Samsung must be shitting themselves every time they think about the A8.

You're right about the screen size too. Apple is the only company selling a premium smartphone without a monster screen and in a smaller form factor. It would be difficult for Samsung and others to make a compact phone and charge a premium price. For starters the processors they have to choose from (Exynos and Snapdragon) aren't as efficient as an A7. Secondly, nobody can match the processor and OS as tightly as Apple can since they control both. Put together and a compact Samsung phone would have horrible battery life due to the lack of space for a battery.

To make it even worse, Apple has pretty much bought up all the capacity for thngs like high-end CNC machines. Even if Samsung wanted to build something as precision made as an iPhone 5S they don't have the manufacturing capabilities to do so. It doesn't get much news, but Apple has been on a tear in recent years securing this type of production equipment.

On the flip side, Apple could make a larger iPhone at any time. And if they do they'll be stealing sales away from all the Android vendors who have had zero competition in this area other than each other. I could see Apple dominating in two phone categories - compact and large screened. Now just imagine the battery life on a larger device with a bigger battery and an even more efficient A8.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

You know I always see someone in the comments saying "ultra negative, vicious analyst reports, and proclamations of doom" yet I never actually see these reports. Where are you getting your news?

Are you visually impaired?

• Reply 35 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    As amusing as the Samsung bubble bursting is to watch, calling this a quarterly loss is quite a bit of a stretch. They did still manage to make $8.2 BILLION (with a B).

Quarterly drop YoY =/= Quarterly loss

That's what I thought. I never knew Samesong's profits were as close to Apple's. Apple are such a better company with much better profits they should be crushing these guys more. I think it's time not just for one or two new iPhones, but for a slight tweaking in iPhone price points. A 16 GB 5s shouldn't be €699 in Europe. Please lower it a little bit, Apple, you'd double your market share and bolster the long term health of the platform if you did. I know myself, my sister and my mother would buy new iPhones far soon if they were just that bit more affordable.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

As amusing as the Samsung bubble bursting is to watch, calling this a quarterly loss is quite a bit of a stretch. They did still manage to make $8.2 BILLION (with a B).

Quarterly drop YoY =/= Quarterly loss

Welcome to Dilger's spinzone.   While I question the cause of the YoY decrease (-3.3%), this is still one of Samsung's most profitable quarters in their history.  But didn't we expect their sales to slow in the pre-release quarter?  II thought it was bizarre Samsung somehow managed 7 consecutive QoQ growth in 2012 and 2013. Samsung is on track to match or surpass Apple's profit in 2Q and 3Q of this year with their S5 release.

• Reply 37 of 74
    bcgershbcgersh Posts: 12member
    Try Yahoo Finance 4/5 days of the week if you are into negative Apple spin. Be sure to go back a week or so. They still haven't figured out how to crap in the new earnings numbers YET.
    You know I always see someone in the comments saying "ultra negative, vicious analyst reports, and proclamations of doom" yet I never actually see these reports. Where are you getting your news?
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcgersh View Post

Try Yahoo Finance 4/5 days of the week if you are into negative Apple spin. Be sure to go back a week or so. They still haven't figured out how to crap in the new earnings numbers YET.

Thank you, my question was legit. It seems some people go to non tech sites to read tech news.

• Reply 39 of 74
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:

Thank you, my question was legit. It seems some people go to non tech sites to read tech news.

You need to discriminate between tech news and financials about tech companies.

I recommend asymco.com as a good start of understanding Apple's business strategy as relates to financials.

As an aside, analysts have been dissing Apple regularly for not joining the race to entry level, yet Samsung has this as part of its strategy, and it looks to be very vulnerable to being assimilated from the bottom. These financials don't improve that outlook.

It's all about the ASP's (Average Selling Price) of the product lines, and Apple captures much more of each sale as profit.

• Reply 40 of 74
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

I am neither, I don't go to general news websites like abc, forbes, cnbc for my tech news. What do these sites know about tech, they aren't tech enthusiasts. Also whats wrong with my previous posts?

Don't worry, they are calling others trolls without realizing they are the ones who are trolling. Block them and ignore them.

I agree with you that most tech website actually shed a positive light on Apple products and that's deserved. But you can't just ignore the such as forbes and other terrible websites. Their 'opinions' are indeed repeated across the web and end up being know by a lot of people who think that they are legitimate arguments, when most of it are flawed interpretations or flat out lies. It's certain that a lot of stuff Apple is criticized for, is completely excused or not even talked about when it happens to others.

And I suggest you check out The Macalope website from time to time. He destroys stupid pundit stories each week and it's hilarious.