2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    [edit: Oops, double post.]

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: PipelineStall ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by PipelineStall:

<strong>

The Apple employee directory isn't a static file that can be e-mailed. It's a database accessed via one of several means, inside the Apple network. Similar to what many other large corporations have.

Furthermore, even if I could send it; I wouldn't. I have no desire to divulge personal information of Apple employees. (I can imagine, the Finder team getting millions of calls each day from people wanting labels added to the Finder). Not to mention, I would get fired for doing so. I don't wish to get fired.

Out of sheer curiosity, is there a valid reason you want the directory? Eg: You want to check if an old friend still works there or something?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I want to send an email to a few key people at apple, I know I have what it takes to work there. And I need a chance
  • Reply 23 of 34
    [quote] I want to send an email to a few key people at apple, I know I have what it takes to work there. And I need a chance<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm....I don't think Steve, Avie, or Phil would take too kindly to receiving resumes directly (or even others a bit lower on the food chain).

You can apply on-line; or find them at a career fair (that's how I got in). If you really want to work there, you should definitely try for a career fair since you'll have a better chance of being noticed. Believe it or not, if you apply online, your resume will not go into the digital dustbin - it will be read.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and I have to offer a canned response like that. Are you looking for a development position, or something else? Apple's not doing extensive hiring at the moment, but select departments are looking for developers.

Good luck.
  • Reply 24 of 34

<strong>

Hmmm....I don't think Steve, Avie, or Phil would take too kindly to receiving resumes directly (or even others a bit lower on the food chain).

You can apply on-line; or find them at a career fair (that's how I got in). If you really want to work there, you should definitely try for a career fair since you'll have a better chance of being noticed. Believe it or not, if you apply online, your resume will not go into the digital dustbin - it will be read.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and I have to offer a canned response like that. Are you looking for a development position, or something else? Apple's not doing extensive hiring at the moment, but select departments are looking for developers.

Good luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What department do you work in?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    [quote] What department do you work in?<hr></blockquote>

Blue Box Engineering (aka Classic).
  • Reply 26 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

Blue Box Engineering (aka Classic).</strong><hr></blockquote>

warning: not trying to be a pest or trying to get too much info... if you can't answer don't.

1.) will USB printer sharing eventually be in OS X

2.) Airport software base station?

3.) who's responsible for the lack of rage pro support?
  • Reply 27 of 34

<strong>

Blue Box Engineering (aka Classic).</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can i go to a trade show, i live in edmonton, can your please send thouse 3 emails to me. It would mean alot.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    [quote] How can i go to a trade show, i live in edmonton <hr></blockquote>

I'm actually from Ottawa, Ontario. Apple was at a career fair in the Congress Centre in Ottawa, sponsored by Brassring. (You can check some of the career fairs Apple will be at by checking at <a href="http://www.brassring.com/)." target="_blank">http://www.brassring.com/).</a> That's how I got the ball rolling.

If you are serious about working at Apple, and applying on-line gets you nowhere; you can try attending either MacWorld San Francisco or MacWorld New York. Apple has booths for job applicants at those expos. Or attend any other trade show where Apple is at.

If you don't have a lot of Mac related development experience; try gaining employment somewhere in Canada first. ATI and Corel are the two major Canadian companies that do some Mac stuff. Corel's not a bad place to work.. It's where I started doing Mac development. I know that they are always looking for more Mac people.

Also try participating in some open-source efforts like Darwin, Mozilla, or whatever to get your feet wet. Maybe release some small shareware apps. The more experience you have, the better your chances at getting employment at Apple are.

[quote]Can your please send thouse 3 emails to me. It would mean alot.<hr></blockquote>

If I did that, Steve would have my head.

I'm serious, I would get fired for releasing information on Apple employees - no less its executives. Pissing off those guys by sending unsolicited e-mail is not the best way to get hired.

BTW: Applenut, I will respond to your message later. I'm at the fitness center right now, and the treadmill I've been waiting for is now available.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: PipelineStall ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 34

<strong>

If I did that, Steve would have my head.

I'm serious, I would get fired for releasing information on Apple employees - no less its executives. Pissing off those guys by sending unsolicited e-mail is not the best way to get hired.

BTW: Applenut, I will respond to your message later. I'm at the fitness center right now, and the treadmill I've been waiting for is now available.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: PipelineStall ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks anyways
  • Reply 30 of 34
    [quote] warning: not trying to be a pest or trying to get too much info... if you can't answer don't.

1.) will USB printer sharing eventually be in OS X

2.) Airport software base station?

3.) who's responsible for the lack of rage pro support?

<hr></blockquote>

1) Don't know.

2) Don't know.

3) Probably a second or third level manager in Engineering.

Right now, everyone is working really hard on the next version of Mac OS X. There are also some key markets that we want to address in the upcoming version, and many people are focused on putting in the features that they need.

Personally, I agree that the above features are important. But when priorities are assigned to the new features that need to be implemented, and the bugs that need to be fixed, it's POSSIBLE that Software Base station, etc weren't very high on the list. It's VERY VERY important that we meet our schedule for the next version of Mac OS X. I really can't say anymore than this.

This is only speculation. But perhaps the reasoning of the person(s) who made the decision regarding the Rage Pro; was that the Mac OS X capable machines that shipped with the Rage Pro aren't that fast (ie: you wouldn't want to run Mac OS X on them). The majority of people with the first gen iMacs, and iBooks, and Beige G3s aren't running Mac OS X.

Granted, yourself, and many others on these boards are technically astute and put up with Mac OS X's current deficiencies. But the majority of the Mac buying public with older machines will not be running Mac OS X. Most people use the OS that comes with their machine and never upgrade.

So when time came to decide what would Engineering spend their time on for the next release of Mac OS X, Rage Pro support may not have been very high on the list.

This is NOT an official statement from Apple (I don't want to see it on MacNN tomorrow ). Consider it a statement of a fellow Mac user, who just happens to work there and has access to a bit more information. And my sincere apologies if I have offended anyone here with a Rage Pro machine.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I would think that it would be a given that USB Printer Sharing and Airport Base Station will eventually be a part of OS X, it's just a question of when.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I know an Apple Higher Edu rep. her email starts with her first name and then last initial, if this is typical then [email protected] would be kinda weird but whatever.

Regarding working at Apple, I am looking to apply there, my understanding is that one is best off being "brought in" by someone rather than applying outright. Is this something you can speak to?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>I know an Apple Higher Edu rep. her email starts with her first name and then last initial, if this is typical then [email protected] would be kinda weird but whatever.

Regarding working at Apple, I am looking to apply there, my understanding is that one is best off being "brought in" by someone rather than applying outright. Is this something you can speak to?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) the e-mail addresses don't follow the same pattern for all. too many employees. I've seen one with just first names, ones with nicknames, etc.

2.) I've also heard the "brought in" thing. Know anyone at apple?
  • Reply 34 of 34
    This has been an interesting discussion, if only for the amazing amount of patience that PipelineStall has shown, and the amazaing audacity it would take to ask an Apple employee to send out personal information.

Wow.

I think it might be self-evidant that anyone serious about her job wouldn't just hand that stuff out, guys.