Google reveals its 'X' lab considered building a jetpack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, I expect you to escape this unnecessarily slow murder contraption!"

Why else would the laser start at one end of the table?

• Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

(Tim Cook strapped to a table of an unknown material while a giant laser starts cutting down the center from the base end by his feet.)

ERIC SCHMIDT

This is vaporware suspended in bullshit, Mr. Cook. All my life I've been in love with its lack of ethics, it's unverification, and it's ability to excite the myopic geek. I welcome any enterprise that will increase my stock. Which is considerable.

TIM COOK

I think you've made your point, Eric. Thank you for the demonstration.

ERIC SCHMIDT

Choose your next witticism carefully, Mr. Cook, it may be your last. The purpose of me being on Apple's board should now be very clear to you but I do not expect you let me back on the board, Mr. Cook

TIM COOK

Do you expect me to talk about our future products, Eric?

ERIC SCHMIDT

No, Mr. Cook, I expect you to lie.

TIM COOK

Never! Apple will never act like Google.

Source:

Classic!

• Reply 43 of 64
    aiwatcheraiwatcher Posts: 1member

Gee, has anyone been creeped out by a drone following you around or outside one's window.

Does anyone really think the U.S.Governernment or the FAA or any Hi security business would want to see people with jet packs with the ability to scale any fences at any height and pose threats to any number of security measures that these type defenses provide and that nothing could any longer be secured. 

Do you really think that the excuse for it not being viable to be made or "being louder than a lawnmower" is really the excuse??

The sources that provide security for you and I have quashed this invention quite some time ago and , pardon the pun, it'll never fly.

• Reply 44 of 64
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    A jetpack? Oh OK, if that's what they want to waste their R&D money on. /s

I think Google's running out of ideas for Android is what it sounds like.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "No, I expect you to escape this unnecessarily slow murder contraption!"
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why else would the laser start at one end of the table?</span>
    Everyone knows villains need to explain their plans. A quick death is not enough time for a soliloquy.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Google's X lab is the biggest money pit ever! They have spent $100 million for nothing to show for.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    bighype wrote: »
    Google's X lab is the biggest money pit ever! They have spent $100 million for nothing to show for.

"Welcome to my unprofitable lair."
  • Reply 48 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Welcome to my unprofitable lair."

liar or lair?¡
  • Reply 49 of 64
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    "...Google X head [B][I]Astro Teller[/I][/B]..."

That's really his name?

Is he the grandson of "strategic defense initiative" (aka Reagan's "Star Wars") creator Dr Edward Teller?

Or maybe Penn & Teller in disguise?

What will the stock anal-yists make of it all?!?!
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

You're forgetting: infinite geek boners and devotion from the tech media. 

• Reply 51 of 64
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

This must either be an out of date April fool's joke or it is simply Google doing a back of the envelope metric on how gullible people are due to their lack of any logical reasoning or scientific knowledge. 

The quantity of fuel required to simply keep a jetpack and person hovering against gravity would make it necessary to be nuclear powered which would kill the person operating it due to the radiation. Look at the size of the Saturn 5 rocket whose job it is simply to hold enough fuel to send a tiny capsule into escape velocity for a couple of minutes. The hardest part of the launch is launching the fuel and the rocket to hold the fuel.

• Reply 52 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

lol!, made out of plastic 

Get it right, it's polycarbonate.

• Reply 53 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

I like my alarm clock from them, it's really cool, when you hit it, it falls apart. Though I don't think it was an intentional feature, I sure do enjoy the feeling of stopping time by splatting it like a bug. 

• Reply 54 of 64
    jungmark wrote: »
    Sharks with death rays?

How can investors be happy with this waste of money?

Funny how Apple gets slammed for charitable donations as "wasting investors' money" while Google earns geek love for funding jet pack "research."

I don't know how a jet pack could ever be made practical. Without wings for lift, a Thunderball-style jet pack has to expend fuel constantly to accelerate against gravity, just to hover in place.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Funny how Apple gets slammed for charitable donations as "wasting investors' money" while Google earns geek love for funding jet pack "research."

I don't know how a jet pack could ever be made practical. Without wings for lift, a Thunderball-style jet pack has to expend fuel constantly to accelerate against gravity, just to hover in place.

From the desk of Sergey Brin... "Note to Google X Team: Great job guys, but I want to focus on anti-gravity solutions next. Metaphorical high five!"
  • Reply 56 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Even if you could have unlimited fuel you still have the issue of safe flight. The FAA has as guidelines for flight but what if any person could buy a jetpack and then fly over everything at any time at any height. That's already a problem without considering a connected world with million of flyers trying to get one place in NYC to another. It will never be practical.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Even if you could have unlimited fuel you still have the issue of safe flight. The FAA has as guidelines for flight but what if any person could buy a jetpack and then fly over everything at any time at any height. That's already a problem without considering a connected world with million of flyers trying to get one place in NYC to another. It will never be practical.

True.
    I'd rather they focus on something less flashy and more practical if they're swinging for the fences. A cure for cancer, for example.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see this as one reason the whole flying car predictions never came true. Common people have enough problems with two dimensions, can you imagine the mayhem if we had flying cars? And people are generally not the best with maintenance, the outcome of that sort of mentality when you add in the third dimension would also be bad.

• Reply 59 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Common people have enough problems with two dimensions, can you imagine the mayhem if we had flying cars?

Lol, it's still 3 dimensional just on a static plane, and somewhat fixed direction.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

In another word ... more shit + Ads from Google X lab while Larry and Partners keep praying to Lord to save their skinny ass!!