Apple lays down guidelines for government data requests in new document

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Wrong ! You need to get better informed.

Apple is a US company and is subject to US law. According to a recent federal court judgment this includes data held outside of the USA.

Read this: -> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/29/us-court-microsoft-personal-data-emails-irish-server

Do your own research and come back when you are well informed.

Your trust is your business. Anyone has the right to be stupid.

Not sure what that person was thinking, but again people in other countries seem to think their laws apply to everyone. 

You can see from the article even if you not a US citizen and the US wants access to your information on a US companies servers they have to get a warrant. just because you do not live in the US or are a citizen the police in the US and not violate same rights a US citizen has. I understand why the US does this, but honest, if you not a US citizen you should not be afforded the same rights. If you got to other countries you have to follow their rules, and most time being an outsider you have far less rights than their own citizens.

The US should be able to get access to anyone information who is not a US citizen which is located on US companies servers without a warranty since they have no expectation of privacy since they are not under our constitution. I realize the US is trying to take the high road in most cases, but when people outside this country are trying to kill you, our rights should out strip theirs.

• Reply 22 of 23
    fabiopigifabiopigi Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The US should be able to get access to anyone information who is not a US citizen which is located on US companies servers without a warranty since they have no expectation of privacy since they are not under our constitution.

So basically, you're saying, everybody that is not US citizen, but uses a US Service has no right at all? And vice versa, any other governement has no right at all at those informations on US servers from non-US citizen?

So, with that logic, any US citizen that does business with any NON-US service would have no right AND the US governement would have no right on those informations eighter?

If that's the case, and you are implying so, the US governement should not have any right to data on US citizen doing business on swiss banks, right ;)

And if we're at it, say you're traveling to europe, I'm sure you would be totally okay that the police could just take your laptop at any time, without any warrant "since you are not under our consitutino".

Better yet, i think, the only rights any US-citizen should have when traveling abord should only be the human rights, and nothing else.

and no, i'm not seriously, that was ironic, but it should give you something to think

• Reply 23 of 23
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Wrong ! You need to get better informed.

Apple is a US company and is subject to US law. According to a recent federal court judgment this includes data held outside of the USA.

Read this: -> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/29/us-court-microsoft-personal-data-emails-irish-server

Do your own research and come back when you are well informed.

Your trust is your business. Anyone has the right to be stupid.

Not sure what that person was thinking, but again people in other countries seem to think their laws apply to everyone. 

You can see from the article even if you not a US citizen and the US wants access to your information on a US companies servers they have to get a warrant. just because you do not live in the US or are a citizen the police in the US and not violate same rights a US citizen has. I understand why the US does this, but honest, if you not a US citizen you should not be afforded the same rights. If you got to other countries you have to follow their rules, and most time being an outsider you have far less rights than their own citizens.

The US should be able to get access to anyone information who is not a US citizen which is located on US companies servers without a warranty since they have no expectation of privacy since they are not under our constitution. I realize the US is trying to take the high road in most cases, but when people outside this country are trying to kill you, our rights should out strip theirs.

Well actually I think this is a case of typical american arrogance.  What you are saying is that if (any) US Agency for whatever reason (as long as they could do so in the US itself) can violate the constitutional rights of citizens/residents of other countries, deprive these citizens of ANY means of legal defence against the Agencies and violate any laws that may exist in these non-US countries with impunity. 

Well sunshine, I've got news for you. We don't like that and we have laws that allow (actually require) companies in the EU not to do business with US owned (data processing/cloud service providers) companies for precisely this reason. We have privacy laws, laws governing due process, constitutional rights which we also want to defend. 

And you wonder why people hate america ?