Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You certainly have some valid points... but why do ya have to p*** on their parade with skepticism... even if the odds are that may be a concern in the future. On the other hand, a lot of these guys have made some serious bucks for a while now... so I think they've been around the block a few times and are experienced enough to keep a certain amount tucked away. Just be careful about getting married or having kids! That'll drain ya dry in a heartBEAT if things don't go as planned... :smokey:

Just trying to illustrate that no problems disappear because money is suddenly involved.
  • Reply 142 of 164
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Profanity for one.

Oh please...  Grow up!  Will you?

What a repulsive man Dr. Dre is as shown on this video. 

• Reply 143 of 164

The problem I have is that an NDA was likely violated by telling his friends, then the video being posted on Facebook. It demonstrated a lack of maturity and regard for Apple as a business partner.
  • Reply 144 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Uh, only children think that swearing is adult.

• Reply 145 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

What clowns

What a terrible deal by Apple

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Has Cook and the board lost their minds? This is really making me think hard about the Apple stock I currently hold. Don't do it Tim! image

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

God help us.

Let me get this straight... they are "clowns" why? Because they are happy and want to celebrate the biggest deal in his and their friends life? Because they maybe had a little too much beer and are happy? I'd like to see all of you when your favorite team wins a big game or championship and how you act in your homes or at the bar! Guess you are always calm and never get excited.

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism. If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. I don't own anything from Beats, but there is no question Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money. Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

Cretinous post. 

• Reply 146 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

it might be a huge brand but there is nothing classy about it. And a lot of people considerate overpriced junk. Why would Apple want to be associated with that?

This race card bullsht is BULL-SHT.

I'm a black guy. I like hip hop. I listen to hip hop music. I've used beats, I've gifted beats.

I've also been following apple for 10 years, have stock and work in IB.

To me, this is a HORRIBLE DEAL.

And it's not so much that it's a company with little real value to Apple, or that is was built by and is associated with black people, but that it's rumored to be acquired at a 3.2 B price tag.

And of course, in the vein of hip hop, the first comment from Dre himself references the East-West coast conflict, peppered with profanity. This is a horrible message to send to Apples user base and investors.

It's a snuff at Job's legacy in many ways.

I hate hip hop. But good comment.

• Reply 147 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Supreme View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

some of you middle aged white guys just dont get it do you.

Its not about PERFORMANCE.

Its about STYLE.

Seriously.  Go out some time and do some research.

You think women spend $4000 on a Louis Vutton bag because it PERFORMS better than a Urban Outfitters bag that cost 10x cheaper?

Really? 

Exactly. These old white guys just don't get.

Do you really think these teens and 18-24 year olds buy Beats because they "perform" better? No, they buy it because it's cool and when they watch TV or music videos all the celebrities, athletes and artists are wearing them. Beats is getting kids with little to no disposable income to buy $200-400 headphones just like they buy a $200-250 pair of Air Jordans. It's an accessory and they don't give a crap if a pair of Grados or other reputable brand sound better (I have both Grados and Beats myself). These kids and young adults aren't audiophiles listening to classical music. They listen to hip-hop, r&b, electronic, house, etc. and they want their music loud. You guys don't seem to get that. Everyone I know that's under the age of 21 want (read: don't need) iPhones or Macs because they perform better, that's just icing on the cake. They want iPhones and Macs because they look cool and they view them as accessories just as much as an electronic device. They see celebrities with their iPhones and MacBooks just like they do wearing Beats headphones.

I think the reason for this rumored purchase has more to do with the streaming service from Beats and more importantly Jimmy Iovine himself. What better way to make licensing deals with the record companies than to have a record company executive with many connections and influence on your side.

I don't understand how any headphones can be cool. Anyone who wears headphones, without exception, looks like a dork. That's why we have earbuds.

• Reply 148 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I get why they are successful, and aren't blocking out any cultural thing but embrace all.

Not only influenced them, but me as well.

That I agree with. I just can't imagine them using profanity in marketing material, which is what I was imagining yesterday. But today is another day, filled with new Beats articles for me to catch up on.

Loved The Wire!

@PhilBoogie - Thank You a 1000x for replying!

I was really getting depressed reading all of the posts on multiple threads that had a very sad and pathetic underlying racist and cultural discriminatory tone... many from posters that I've previously respected regarding other topics.

Re: after the World Cup I was thinking which series I would really like to binge on again... and I'm at a toss up between The Wire and Breaking Bad.

Re: the influence of black culture in music - my "trending" comment was based on the influences of hip-hop and rap the world over for over a decade.

However, how soon we forget that it is was black music culture (R & B = Rhythm and Blues!) that spawned Rock & Roll some 60 odd years ago. It was so repugnant to many Lilly-White-Old-Folks at the time that it was banned in places, and certain white guy pioneers like Jerry Lee Lewis and later "swivel-hips" Elvis were panned, banned, pulled off stage and arrested.

Anybody that truly loves Western music of any genre (other than Classical), can follow their preferred genre's melodious trail back to some black guy(s) sitting on a porch... whistling, humming their "blues", and thumping of their foot to add a rhythm... thus creating a "BEAT"****. That fact is as undeniable in it's origin as it is in it's longevity and ability to be sculpted into other modern and ever evolving musical expressions.

To deny the above, is being deaf, dumb... and dare I say... being a cultural racist. I may agree with anyone's right to state their opinions or beliefs; but I do NOT have to respect them if those beliefs/opinions further an unintelligent and discriminatory agenda.... IMHO!

**** I twisted the sentence and narrative around to something more "visually pleasant", than the true definition which reflects upon the monotony (rhythm) of slave labor in the fields and singing to dampen the misery (blues).

All genres derive from either classical or folk.

• Reply 149 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quite. I do too much here.

• Reply 150 of 164
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,436moderator
    hill60 wrote: »
    The headphones are irrelevant, it's all about the licensing to help grow iTunes.

Will they scrap all those high priced headphones? That's a big chunk of revenue:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/dr-dre-pays-150-million-buy-beats-dre-company/

The two bought back 25% of the company for $150m in 2012.

"Dr. Dre was seen wearing his headphones in nationwide Dr. Pepper commercials and Jimmy Iovine was frequently wearing a pair around his neck during his appearances as an American Idol coach. The strategy worked and Beats By Dre quickly captured roughly 25% of the worldwide headphone market, selling over 1.5 million units and generating revenues of $500 million in 2011."

Apple could make a set of headphones that have an iPod integrated into them and wireless and cable connections for a Mac. They could improve the bundled headphone quality with the iPhone. If you save having to buy a 3rd party set of headphones, that's a selling point for the iPhone e.g iPhone with beats for $650 vs Android with some other brand headphones for $450 + $150.

It seems a waste to get rid of the hardware when that's a huge part of the brand and revenue.

I wonder if they'll perform at WWDC:

[VIDEO]

They better bring some booty. WWDC never has enough booty.
  • Reply 151 of 164
    Marvin wrote: »
    Will they scrap all those high priced headphones? That's a big chunk of revenue:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/dr-dre-pays-150-million-buy-beats-dre-company/

The two bought back 25% of the company for $150m in 2012. .

Here's the thing about these kinds of transactions... They only work when there are people on the inside committed to the ongoing growth and sales of the product. Might not the Beats team be less committed now they've (allegedly) gotten paid? Entrepreneurs tend to get very restless if they have to report to a "boss."
  • Reply 152 of 164
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,436moderator
    Here's the thing about these kinds of transactions... They only work when there are people on the inside committed to the ongoing growth and sales of the product. Might not the Beats team be less committed now they've (allegedly) gotten paid? Entrepreneurs tend to get very restless if they have to report to a "boss."

I agree about entrepreneurs not liking to report to someone else but the payment shouldn't be important. They already have hundreds of millions of dollars. They spent over $100m to buy back in.

There's also the matter of the acquisition being in cash or stock. With stock, they may have to commit to projects for a certain timeframe. The people in question don't own 100% of beats either, some of Apple's purchase should make its way to their competitor HTC. Dre etc own less than 1/3.
  • Reply 153 of 164
    Marvin wrote: »
    I agree about entrepreneurs not liking to report to someone else but the payment shouldn't be important. They already have hundreds of millions of dollars. They spent over $100m to buy back in.

There's also the matter of the acquisition being in cash or stock. With stock, they may have to commit to projects for a certain timeframe. The people in question don't own 100% of beats either, some of Apple's purchase should make its way to their competitor HTC. Dre etc own less than 1/3.

If Beats owners join Apple's board, I tend to think a stock deal would be more likely.
  • Reply 154 of 164
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Could it be you misunderstood my post(?)... because the video doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I think it's rather calm and laid back considering the sum and success(!)

In agreement, adding my own take on the video.

• Reply 155 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, **** me it's the fountain of youth.

• Reply 156 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

HTC already sold all their stock in two lots $150 million and $200 million, thanks to Samsung's marketing hype machine they haven't turned a profit for several years now.

In an earlier post, the headphones aren't that important, the B logo on the side sure is.

• Reply 157 of 164
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I was really getting depressed reading all of the posts on multiple threads that had a very sad and pathetic underlying racist and cultural discriminatory tone...

Indeed, there really is no reason whatsoever to have racism mixed into this rumour.
    Re: after the World Cup I was thinking which series I would really like to binge on again... and I'm at a toss up between The Wire and Breaking Bad.

I thought The Sopranos was the best series, but after seeing The Wire after that I thought they were my favourite. Then I saw Six Feet Under & Breaking Bad. Guess I now have 4 shows sharing that #1 spot.

... and I mistakenly followed a link to to the YouTube video featuring the Dr. Dre/FB vid... the comments are nauseating!

The comments on YouTube are best not read. Wikipedia even thinks so:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#YouTube_user_comments
    On November 6, 2013, Google implemented a new comment system that requires all YouTube users to use a Google+ account to comment on videos, thereby making the comment system Google+-orientated. The corporation stated that the change is necessary to personalize comment sections for viewers, in response to an overwhelmingly negative public response—even YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim expressed disdain by writing on his channel: "why the **** do I need a Google+ account to comment on a video?". The official YouTube announcement received over 59,000 "thumbs down" votes and only just over 3,300 "thumbs up" votes, while an online petition demanding Google+'s removal gained more than 230,000 signatures in just over two months.

...th video doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I think it's rather calm and laid back considering the sum and success(!)

...and no mention of Apple Inc.

philboogie wrote: »
    Profanity for one.

That was my point indeed. No problem of using MF in a song, but seems unnecessary if one simply talks. I don't think it adds any value to the point one is making.
  • Reply 158 of 164
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Indeed, there really is no reason whatsoever to have racism mixed into this rumour.
    I thought The Sopranos was the best series, but after seeing The Wire after that I thought they were my favourite. Then I saw Six Feet Under & Breaking Bad. Guess I now have 4 shows sharing that #1 spot.
    The comments on YouTube are best not read. Wikipedia even thinks so:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#YouTube_user_comments

...and no mention of Apple Inc.
    That was my point indeed. No problem of using MF in a song, but seems unnecessary if one simply talks. I don't think it adds any value to the point one is making.

Hey, missed your input in the 500+ marathon thread above! :D
  • Reply 159 of 164
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Hey, missed your input in the 500+ marathon thread above! :D

Hadn't finished the other 5 threads yet¡

...and I miss your comments on an Aperture WishList I created here.
  • Reply 160 of 164
    tardistardis Posts: 94member

Heineken-fueled celebration?

Q. You have just become a billionaire. What drink do you choose to celebrate this?

QQ. Even if you haven't just become a billionaire, but assuming you are quite rich and successful, why would you be drinking Heineken?

A. Champagne, surely?

AA. Nothing against Heineken. It's quite a good beer, especially if you are poor and not successful and can't afford better quality craft beers.