Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition

Comments

• Reply 81 of 164
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

For all of you doubters, look back to the aquisitions Apple made before it launched iTunes. Everybody thought they were crazy for getting into music at a time the music industry was in its death throws. I admit that I did, too, before I understood what they were trying to do.

I remember those days.   Glad Apple didn't listen. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Excuse me sir- I hate to burst your bubble but

audiophiles do not buy or own Beats.

Or Bose for that matter.   My bubble cannot be burst because it's fortified with 

Audio Research , Wilson & Dynaudio :D

Ok ..I don't own any of this stuff but that's the dream before my ears fade. 

• Reply 82 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

For all of you doubters

Except this is inherently different.

• Reply 83 of 164
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    philboogie wrote: »

What good is a poll?

As to the value of this purchase, it probably has a long tern strategy most here complaining can't see. Probably a short term strategy too, as this gives Apple a strong foot hold in streaming and another avenue to market for hardware. I can see the Beats/Apple tie up leading to all sorts of new audio products.
  • Reply 84 of 164
    gqb wrote: »
    Hmmm. Why does the tone of most of the panic stricken posts here and elsewhere on this subject remind me of the right wing's feelings about the president?
    Could it be paranoia? If this tie up is real I see considerable advantage for Apple over the long run. However our president is a fool with total disrespect for the constitution. Big difference there guy and honestly pointing out the dangers of the current presidency is not right wing at all, it is called being honest.
    What is similar?... What could it be?

Nothing really.
  • Reply 85 of 164
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

I wonder if the video is a publicity stunt to capitalize on false or planted rumors. Having Apple buy beats doesn't make much sense to me unless they plan to keep it as a separate entity and to keep it out of the hands of the competition if it takes off.

• Reply 86 of 164
    Quote:

Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

This race card bullsht is BULL-SHT.

I'm a black guy. I like hip hop. I listen to hip hop music. I've used beats, I've gifted beats.

I've also been following apple for 10 years, have stock and work in IB.

To me, this is a HORRIBLE DEAL.

And of course, ...peppered with profanity. This is a horrible message to send to Apples user base and investors.

Says the guy who uses profanity in his first sentence, way to live up to your own standards. And since I am a "brown" man, my skin is not black, thanks for letting us know you speak for all of us and anyone with an opposing opinion is not allowed. I speak for me and my point has been made earlier and I stand by it.

• Reply 87 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I wonder if the video is a publicity stunt to capitalize on false or planted rumors. Having Apple buy beats doesn't make much sense to me unless they plan to keep it as a separate entity and to keep it out of the hands of the competition if it takes off.

So what prevents Apple from buying HTC or Xiaomi or a similar Android phone manufacturer so they get a toehold in the low-end Android phone market? Then could flood the market with cheap phones, decimating Samsung.
  • Reply 88 of 164
    So you advocate snob appeal!
    ivabign wrote: »
    Apple's flash was always backed up by substance. Beats flash is only flash. If it happens, what a mistake.

If you want headphones, but Jerry Harvey Audio.

Beats look good, but sound poor.
    This can often be compared to high end audio marketing, where psychology is used to sell products that the vast majority of people can't identify a real difference in.
    (A proud owner of JH16's, and other various Westone, Ultimate Ears & Earsonics products)

Yep snob appeal.
  • Reply 89 of 164
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member

Let me get this straight... they are "clowns" why? Because they are happy and want to celebrate the biggest deal in his and their friends life? Because they maybe had a little too much beer and are happy? I'd like to see all of you when your favorite team wins a big game or championship and how you act in your homes or at the bar! Guess you are always calm and never get excited.

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism. If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. I don't own anything from Beats, but there is no question Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money. Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

They are clowns because they could not even properly announce the deal. Posting it on FB before it is announced? How stupid can you be

And the 'Oh My God' reactions tell me Apple severely overpaid

What a messed up deal and strategy for Apple. Baffling
  • Reply 90 of 164
    sog35 wrote: »
    off base?

Tesla lost $70M in 2013.
    Tesla lost $400M in 2012.

They would lose even more if the government stopped the tax credits people get for buying Tesla cars.

So yes they are living off WELFARE CHECKS from the government.  With out governement help they would be OUT OF BUSINESS.

Sadly those welfare checks go to support wealth Americans that can afford a second for third car of limited utility. This is what burns my a$$, they government funneling middle class taxes to high income earners.
  • Reply 91 of 164
    Who is on a high horse here?
    Please don't post uninformed nonsense. (Ok... redundancy...)

Tesla took a loan from the DoE, every cent of which was paid back a while ago.

As to 'government subsidies,' quite apart from the fact that $7,500 is a small amount in the scheme of things for a typical Tesla vehicle,
    It is a terrible waste of money that goes to subsidize people that can afford the cars in the first place. Tesla has zero sales to middle class America because the car isn't useful to people that have more limited living arrangements. It frankly is a disgusting waste of money and serves as a way to rob for the poor to enrich the already wealthy.
    what about, say the free bandwidth that taxpayers provide for the TV you watch, the local monopoly that the government allows for the cable you subscribe to,
    since when is cable or TV free?
    funding that led to the internet that led to companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple that you no doubt patronize, ¢40 on every medical equipment/hospital/pharmaceutical dollar that comes from Medicare/Medicaid despite the fact that you use (of will use) those services,
    Notice the word all there? Mediocre does not exist to underwrite the rich! Big difference
    the deposit insurance subsidy that the banks get that protect your money, the defense dollars that the Boeings, GEs, UTCs, Lockheeds, Honeywells etc get that protect you...... I could go on.
    What does ant of this have to do with taxing the middle class to support the rich. This is exactly what this program does.
    Get off your high horse. Or I dare you to live completely free from a single government dollar ion your daily life.

Wake up buddy because you don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 92 of 164
    Apple doesn't need to pay for style, they need to buy technology and IP that leapfrogs and/or cuts the hamstrings of their competitors. If this deal punches a hole in Samsung or Android, it might be worth it.

In the case of Samsung it does give them another vector of attack. I'm not sure why people mis this, but with the beats brand they can offer what amounts to a low end iPhone. Thus Samsung would be hit from above and below.

That is just one course of action and use for the beats brand. Apple could also get into hardware manufacturing that isn't strictly Apple focused, for example audio and AV gear.
  • Reply 93 of 164
    I'll report the piece that I added to my previous reply:

Deleted

Give it a rest bud as you simply don't know what you are talking about. The governments underwriting of Tesla has nothing in common with anything you described. In its simplest form it is nothing more than funneling tax payer money to the wealthy and frankly needs to stop as soon as possible.
  • Reply 94 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Give it a rest bud as you simply don't know what you are talking about. The governments underwriting of Tesla has nothing in common with anything you described. In its simplest form it is nothing more than funneling tax payer money to the wealthy and frankly needs to stop as soon as possible.

Did you forget your meds today?

Add: The trouble with folks like you, caught up in your class warfare rhetoric, is that you cherry pick the facts, ignoring the simple reality that it's not only Tesla that gets the $7,500 subsidy, but the lower-priced, more 'middle-class' Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt too.

• Reply 95 of 164
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Wtf Tim
    Is the jimmy manipulating apple? or is this apple truly seeing that much value in this crapy wanabe brand.
  • Reply 96 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    In the case of Samsung it does give them another vector of attack. I'm not sure why people mis this, but with the beats brand they can offer what amounts to a low end iPhone. Thus Samsung would be hit from above and below.

That is just one course of action and use for the beats brand. Apple could also get into hardware manufacturing that isn't strictly Apple focused, for example audio and AV gear.

If Apple manufactures a Beats phone under the Beats brand (with no Apple branding), I could see a value to that.
  • Reply 97 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Apple manufactures a Beats phone under the Beats brand (with no Apple branding), I could see a value to that.

Cannibalizing potential iPhone sales?!

No way.

• Reply 98 of 164
    So nothing. I’ve made no comment as to that.
    You are just being dense. This is a company they bought not people. A company that frankly has many products that mesh well with Apple. Wake up!
    Is Apple lacking in style? No. Do they perform too well and need to perform worse? No.
    They do need to perform better and frankly this will help with that.
    Why would they want Beats if the products are style over performance?
    Actually it isn't completely about style. The hardware is tuned for a type of music in some cases and others are actually well rounded devices.
    Would trusting the executives that ousting Jobs was the right thing have been the right thing?
    Even Jobs himself acknowledged that in the end it was a good thing for both him and the company.
    Oh, yes. This idea should therefore NEVER come into question…

I really don't think you have a clue about the industry they are buying into. Consider this Apple for a long time was considered low class in the audio world because the compressed iTunes files supposedly lost much of the "information" that makes good music so rewarding. The problem is that much of the market is built around snob appeal and often no noticeable difference in technical performance. Yet given this reality Apple, ITunes and the iPods succeeded. Now ask yourself why?

The why is pretty easy, most people aren't snobs. They don't have dedicated "listening rooms" set up in their houses with ten of thousands invested in audio hardware. Rather the common use of music is to listen to it in the back ground while doing something else. Apple effectively went after the general consumer with iTunes and iPods thus cornering a huge portion of the market. They did that by covering all genres. As it is they have a massive library that is unmatched by being inclusive of all of these different categories.

So when you get onboard here and rail against the association with Rap you just demonstrate that you don't have a clue as Apple has been associated with Rap for years. Further you bury yourself by seemingly implying that the beats hardware is only good for Rap. That isn't true no more than saying an iPod is only good for Reggae, classical or whatever.

People have preferences and tastes that often are not what appeals to us personally. There is nothing wrong with that. Consider professional studios for a minute, not every engineer is making use of the same headphones in these studios. So you have to ask yourself why, could it be taste, or maybe the physical make up of the individual listening. I won't even get into the difference in sound one can hear simply by shifting headphones, earpieces or whatever around on ones head. In the end Beats sells a device that works well for the people that buys them. If they didn't sales would be non existent.
  • Reply 99 of 164
    Consumers cannot tell the difference between middling-quality and high-quality audio.

Again the world is not filled with snobs. Consumers don't care about quality as much as some because they don't use music in the same way. If you are working in the kitchen, garage or shop, the music is there for fill, it isn't there so you can experience the technical excellence of the artist. Hell if the average person sings along any idea of high quality goes out the window. Most people realize that they can't sing, matching the abilities of their favorites, but that doesn't stop them from singing. Again it comes back to a different use for music, where it is often used to relieve stress or boredom.

I just find it amazing that so many apply their own definitions of quality to justify the hatred for this deal. Often they just don't grasp that they are a tiny minority when it comes to users of music. In the end that is what this is all about, the users of the music.
  • Reply 100 of 164
    Dre puffs the chronic, but someone at Apple is smoking crack to pay 3.2 billion for Beats.