Apple fixes hidden '/Users' folder bug introduced in OS X 10.9.3 with iTunes update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Here's a chflags workaround that persists across reboots. Just copy this into a .plist file and put it in your LaunchDaemons folder (with the correct permissions). This one's to show the ~/Library folder, but you can adapt it to show any folder that Apple decides to hide.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.putwhateveryouwanthere.showlibrary</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>/usr/bin/chflags</string>
    <string>nohidden</string>
    <string>/Users/***put your username here***/Library</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Just an FYI, there's a checkbox in your Home Folder's "View Options" that will tell the Finder to "Show Library Folder".

Also, when changed this can be used to unhide the /Users and /Users/Shared folder, the permissions of those folders are still wrong. :(

• Reply 22 of 29
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never test beta software but this bug probably indicates that either the beta OS X did not contain the beta iTunes or else there are not enough people doing beta testing either in the community or at Apple. A hidden /Users folder should be pretty obvious. It sure got noticed quickly after the general release.

OS X updates don't include iTunes (easily confirmed by looking into the 10.9.3 combo update with Pacifist), so this was a case of iTunes beta testing not catching the bug. It might have been a new bug introduced after the last build made available to developers and/or other beta testers.

Perhaps nobody noticed because the testers didn't have Find my Mac enabled, or they had tweaked Finder to always show invisible files, or they never happened to look at / or /Users in Finder. Another possibility is that the problem had been noticed but the cause wasn't isolated until someone did the necessary detective work after the problem got widespread attention.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

The Mac App Store asks me to close Xcode before it installs the iTunes 11.2.1 update. Anyone have the faintest idea why?

Xcode and iTunes share some system-level components relating to managing iOS devices. I expect Xcode has them open and they need to be closed before the iTunes installer can update them.

• Reply 23 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here's a chflags workaround that persists across reboots. Just copy this into a .plist file and put it in your LaunchDaemons folder (with the correct permissions). This one's to show the ~/Library folder, but you can adapt it to show any folder that Apple decides to hide.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">;
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Label</key>
    	<string>com.putwhateveryouwanthere.showlibrary</string>
    	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
    	<array>
    		<string>/usr/bin/chflags</string>
    		<string>nohidden</string>
    		<string>/Users/***put your username here***/Library</string>
    	</array>
    	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
    	<true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Good info for but since a correctly working system allows these changes to persist after an update I have used Terminal for this.
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/

mjtomlin wrote: »
    Just an FYI, there's a checkbox in your Home Folder's "View Options" that will tell the Finder to "Show Library Folder".

Also, when changed this can be used to unhide the /Users and /Users/Shared folder, the permissions of those folders are still wrong. :(

Excellent find. When did you first discover/hear about this?

dempson wrote: »
    OS X updates don't include iTunes (easily confirmed by looking into the 10.9.3 combo update with Pacifist), so this was a case of iTunes beta testing not catching the bug. It might have been a new bug introduced after the last build made available to developers and/or other beta testers.

Perhaps nobody noticed because the testers didn't have Find my Mac enabled, or they had tweaked Finder to always show invisible files, or they never happened to look at / or /Users in Finder. Another possibility is that the problem had been noticed but the cause wasn't isolated until someone did the necessary detective work after the problem got widespread attention.

1) A wonderfully thought out comment from the developer's PoV.

2) Perhaps they need to go back to offering iTunes betas to developers or even a non-dev seed program so these issues aren't as likely to go unnoticed by having normal users in the mix.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Do the release notes say this update is for client or server software?

Too funny!

• Reply 25 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defraserii View Post

I must admit my frustration with Apple not fixing bugs like the memory leak in Aperture 3.5.1 that have persisted for months. We're talking about an issue critical to the workflow of many photography professionals. Many have left Aperture because this bug triggers kernel panics and crashes. And we haven't heard a word from Apple, notwithstanding extensive threads in Apple's support forum. I guess it's all a matter of what Apple considers a priority.

It's perhaps easier and cheaper for Apple to develop Aperture X than to fix Aperture. Or perhaps Aperture is dead.

• Reply 26 of 29

I didn’t get that /Users problem.

What I noticed is that iTunes plays DTS and DTS-HD MA audio!

• Reply 27 of 29
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I just want to say that this is a case of the internet and user forums doing the work and getting things right. Many people here identified the problem, saw that the workarounds would not work and Apple made the necessary correction pretty quickly. All good.

• Reply 28 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I just want to say that this is a case of the internet and user forums doing the work and getting things right. Many people here identified the problem, saw that the workarounds would not work and Apple made the necessary correction pretty quickly. All good.

There were actually a couple of workarounds... even a permanent fix, but you had to have some experience with a command line.

• Reply 29 of 29
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

The Mac App Store asks me to close Xcode before it installs the iTunes 11.2.1 update. Anyone have the faintest idea why?

Probably because somewhere they share a common library and that library is going to get updated.  The file needs to be closed for that to happen.