After installing OS 10.9.3, my MacBook Air is burning hot when.....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2014

After installing OS 10.9.3, my MacBook Air is burning hot when I was using Skype, streaming Netflix and playing online games on Facebook.

Does anyone here experience the same problem?

Is there an app to monitor the CPU temperature?  PLEASE help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mangoCooper View Post

Skype, streaming Netflix and playing online games on Facebook.

Absolutely terrible software, Silverlight, and Flash, in that order.

This is normal. I’m sure your CPU is still under 100ºC, which is acceptable. You can use Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on it.

• Reply 2 of 3

It seems to me that video seems to have some problems with Safari - namely that it's turned into an absolute memory pig. Prior to 10.9.3 I never pegged the system memory or for that matter even got the "compression" level to show anything significant. With 10.9.3 my memory is pegged, compression is heavy, and performance is slow, if I'm using Safari with anything other than very basic web pages. I've also witnessed Safari Web Content crashing several times when it didn't before.

You might want to try a different browser.

• Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangoCooper View Post

After installing OS 10.9.3, my MacBook Air is burning hot

I'm having the same problem with my iMac since installing 10.9.3.  

Also, Safari is extremely flaky.  According to MacRumors: Safari 7.0.4 is a free download available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.  But try as I may, I can't find it in the Mac App Store.  What am I doing wrong this time?