Samsung set to unveil smart watch that makes calls without a paired phone - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    insider1insider1 Posts: 4member

I'm not very fond of these types of smart watches.  The only one that seems to be doing it right is Kairos (assuming they're able to produce their watch).

They're using a Japanese or Swiss mechanical movement with a transparent display beneath the crystal.

Kairos-watch 

• Reply 82 of 89
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is this the Dyson design inspired vac?

Samsung is really having the "MOJO"! They have bring last technology to this sucker!

And don't tel me: with the iPhone, Apple too as been bringing technology to a lot of sucker!

I mean "technology sucker" no offense please. Technology lovers.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Folks, an up close and personal look at where some of Samsung's marketing budget goes. Insanely sad. 

Heathrow to rebrand world's busiest terminal as 'Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5'

This is where Samsung's marketing budget goes.

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1294694/heathrow-rebrand-worlds-busiest-terminal-terminal-samsung-galaxy-s5
  • Reply 84 of 89
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    insider1 wrote: »
    I'm not very fond of these types of smart watches.  The only one that seems to be doing it right is Kairos (assuming they're able to produce their watch).

They're using a Japanese or Swiss mechanical movement with a transparent display beneath the crystal.

kairos-watch.0_standard_640.0.png
    kairos-watch.gif 
    The Kairos is an amazing concept and I hope they succeed in producing it. I am a bit worried about battery life though. Even though the movement might be self-winding which means you will always be able to see the time you will still need a battery for the smart functions. With the mechanical movement taking up quite some space I'm worried there will not be room for a decent battery and result in still having to charge every day for those functions.
    But love the idea, and something that I actually wondered about before if it would be possible.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple is not reading this forum, and will not be convinced to release an AppleTV from your signature- so who exactly are you directing it at?

Oh I suspect they do but for the same reasons people read the Onion and the National Enquirer - to unwind and to have a good laugh at all the comedy.

With jokers like jpd514 there's plenty to keep Apple amused.

Didn't Steve Jobs at one or two keynotes have some slides poking fun at fanciful iPhone rumours?
    He must have got the inspiration from somewhere.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Didn't Steve Jobs at one or two keynotes have some slides poking fun at fanciful iPhone rumours?

• Reply 87 of 89
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

That's awesome. I'd love to be able to make calls from my watch, connected to my ear by an unsightly wire, or via bluetooth enabled earbuds I must wear at all times. Cool.

Bingo.

Samsung is confused about their product strategy. I doubt it will be Samsung who produce the break out smart watch type product.

Taking calls from a wrist-bound device creates more problems than it solves, I think. It also doesn't address the reasons why a wrist-based device might exist in the first place - that is, it doesn't demonstrate a clear reason for a new product category to exist.

• Reply 88 of 89
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/scfTmFua7Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Hilarious clip! What year was it?

Steve—what a great presenter he was. Compare him demoing Garageband to Panay scribbling in Photoshop the other day. Chalk and cheese.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

This better have a 7" screen or no dice for me! /s

AND a battery that lasts a year

Or

Total FAIL.