Rumor: Foxconn to build 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' Wistron to assemble Apple's legacy 4" model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

That's simply incorrect- It isn't viewed as a current year phone with last year's parts- it is viewed as last year's phone with a new body.

• Reply 22 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That's simply incorrect- It isn't viewed as a "current year" phone with last year's parts- it is viewed as last year's phone with a new body.

You misunderstand. That is precisely what I am saying. It is like a casserole using leftovers in the fridge. It is a new phone but using old parts. Tech people understand it is just a new body on old parts but many consumers who are not very savvy might not be aware it is reusing the internal parts from year before. If there is no new 4" with an A8 CPU this year we can safely say Apple will be killing off the 4" models shortly as they try and standardize on larger resolutions. 

• Reply 23 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He's "completely insane" because he has a different prediction than you, which is just as plausible (if not more so) than yours?

Yeah, try reading the post before replying.

Don't reply with your train of thought, because I don't care.

So why would anyone ever listen to what you have to say? Why should we care?

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I think that's pretty accurate.  The only difference we might see is:

2013 2014 2015
    High-end 5S 6 6S
    Midrange 5C 5CS 6C
    Low-end 4S 5C 5CS

It’d be 5SC. Entire product name comes before the suffix. I just figure they’re going to move away from the C idea.

will not continue trying to sell the 5C  s is in the 2014-15 product cycle

I think it goes without saying that I won’t be saying anything to you about this if this turns out to be wrong. Only because I’m a better person than you are. Not because you wouldn’t deserve to be vitriolically mocked for it.

The C model is meant to be sold as a current year phone even though it reuses last years parts. 

THEREFORE IT WOULD BE THE 5SC, AS IT’S LAST YEAR’S PHONE PARTS.

all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory. 

Not a single rumor, ever, has ever supported anything even remotely close to calling last year’s phone by this year’s name.

That is precisely what I am saying.

It’s the exact opposite of what you’re saying.

• Reply 24 of 80

The 5c will be killed. Point blank. Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller and lacks TouchID in the lineup. How do you reconcile the fact that it lacks Touch ID when all rumors and indeed common sense tells us Apple wants to go big with Touch ID this year especially with the new promo app codes and possibly stronger forays into mobile payment. There will be no 5c when new products are announced. Perhaps the entire C line concept itself will not be renewed and the 5s would be the low end phone. That idea at least has legs since that would simply be going back to what they did in the past. 

• Reply 25 of 80

Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller

False premise.

…it lacks Touch ID when all rumors… …tells us Apple wants to go big with Touch ID this year…

I don’t see how “All new devices will have TouchID” can’t be reconciled with the 5C, not being a new device, not having TouchID.

I don’t not buy what you’re saying. It’s just not fact.

Perhaps the entire C line concept itself will not be renewed and the 5s would be the low end phone.

Let’s hope.

• Reply 26 of 80
    gwmac wrote: »
    High End iPhone 6 Pro or Air or whatever they call it with a 5.5" screen
    Midrange iPhone 6 with 4.7"
    Low-end iPhone 6c with 4" that is the 5s reborn

Why does premium-ness correspond to screen size?
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why does premium-ness correspond to screen size?

Not the point I was trying to make. One, "premium" has nothing to do with display size. the 5s is a premium phone by all rights and measures. Premium Apple phones are the ones that contain the latest and greatest new tech which will be the A8 this year and are also priced the highest.  If a new 4" includes the A8 it will be an equal and premium model to the larger siblings. If it lacks the A8 and uses an A7 it will not be premium as in their "high end" phone and will be priced lower. I do not see Apple releasing the A8 on 3 models. We will likely see the A8 in a 4" and 4.7" or we will see it in a 4.7" and 5.5". I haven't read even one single rumor about a leak for a new 4" iPhone 6. Have you? I would think Apple security would be as tight if not tighter on a 4.7" but we have dozens of leaks on that version. Why no leaks on a new 4" iPhone 6 by now? 

• Reply 28 of 80
    rat38rat38 Posts: 5member
    What is going on with all these iPhablet rumors. Come on people, the 4.7" model sounds like a lock. Step back and think people, this is Apple we are talking about. Have you ever seen a Note 2/3, or Mega user hold these up to their heads? They look absurd! Plain and simple Apple is not going to release a product that look ridiculous in use, especially given that this size is totally unusable with a single hand (unlike a 4.7"er that is one-hand usable for those of us with larger hands).
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

False premise.

I don’t see how “All new devices will have TouchID” can’t be reconciled with the 5C, not being a new device, not having TouchID.

I don’t not buy what you’re saying. It’s just not fact.

Let’s hope.

Let's see what Tim Cook thinks.

"Demand percentage for the iPhone 5c "turned out to be different than we thought," Cook said during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. Total iPhone sales for the quarter were 51 million, which was a new record but below market expectations of around 55 million.

Cook declined to say what Apple is planning to do in the future with its mid-range, plastic-backed iPhone. However, the CEO did not rule out the possibility of making a change to its lineup down the road.

When asked why the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than Apple expected, Cook said he believes customers were simply drawn to the flagship iPhone 5s.

"I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales."

Yeah, it sounds like he will bring back the 5c again for sure. :no:

• Reply 30 of 80
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member

Well thats rubbish. What if you want a normal sized phone with the latest tech, in metal not Plastic?  Apple has banged on about the perfect 4 inch size, so they should continue having a 4 inch model at the high end. 4.7 inches is too big. Yuck. 

• Reply 31 of 80
    bcgershbcgersh Posts: 12member
    Am I the only one that thinks the 5.5 is bogus. I think they'll have two sizes moving foreword%u2026 the current 4in on the iPhone 5s and 5c AND the new 4.7in iPhone 6. I think having three sizes would be a major departure from the way Apple does things. Think of their laptop offerings%u2026 only two sizes (2 pros, 2 airs).
  • Reply 32 of 80

"Demand percentage for the iPhone 5c "turned out to be different than we thought," Cook said during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. Total iPhone sales for the quarter were 51 million, which was a new record but below market expectations of around 55 million.

Yep. Different. Strongly suggesting it was lower than they figured, but WE HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD THAT. We do know, however, that it did better than the 4S in the same slot. It’s hardly “not a good seller”.

"I think the 5s, people are really intrigued with Touch ID," Cook said. "It's a major feature that has excited people. And I think that associated with the other things that are unique to the 5s, got the 5s to have a significant amount more attention and a higher mix of sales."

Yeah, it sounds like he will bring back the 5c again for sure. :no:

Nothing you’ve written is supporting evidence for your claim. Apple has always operated off the principle of selling up to the new model by showing the differences of the old.

• Reply 33 of 80
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You remain completely insane.

Holy hyperbole Batman!

I don't much think that there'll be a 6C this year either, it doesn't quite fit with precedent; but stranger things have happened, and Apple's product naming conventions haven't been the most consistent in recent times.

Frankly, who gives a flying fudge what the damn things are called?  Just gimme!

• Reply 34 of 80
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,080member
    andysol wrote: »
    I think that's pretty accurate.  The only difference we might see is:
    <table border="1" cellpadding="1" style="color:rgb(0,0,0);width:500px;"><tbody>[TR]
    [TD] [/TD]
    [TD]2013[/TD]
    [TD]2014[/TD]
    [TD]2015[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]High-end[/TD]
    [TD]5S[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]6S[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Midrange[/TD]
    [TD]5C[/TD]
    [TD]5CS[/TD]
    [TD]6C[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Low-end[/TD]
    [TD]4S[/TD]
    [TD]5C[/TD]
    [TD]5CS[/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody></table>

The 6C we'll see for sure I'd think in 2015- but the 5S or 5CS- I'm unsure which.  One thing I would hope everyone could agree on is that there will be no 6C this year- unless they throw us a giant curveball (highly unlikely)

I think saying there will be a 6C this year is irrational.
    I Think you are right about the 5s becoming the 5sc.

It is time to have a funeral for the 5s so that the grieving can begin. Then one will be able to move on to the 4.7 inch phone
  • Reply 35 of 80
    rat38rat38 Posts: 5member

Here here! iPhablet is dumbest persistent rumor.

• Reply 36 of 80
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Not the point I was trying to make. One, "premium" has nothing to do with display size.

But you did make that point. Why, in your earlier post, did you called the 4.7" a "mid-range" product, and the 5.5" a "high-end" one? On what is that based? Does the 5.5 have a higher resolution? More memory? Faster CPU? Or is it just a "stretched" frame 4.7" iPhone 6 to keep up with the Samsungses?
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Based simply on prices and also just used same terms MR. 5cs used to avoid confusion
  • Reply 38 of 80

What I think may happen:

Model Type \ Year 2013 2014 2015 2016
    High-end 5s 6s 7s 8s
    Mid-range 5c 6c 7c 8c
    Low-end 4S 4S 5c 6c

2015 would be the year Apple retires the 3.5" form factor, and 2016 the year Apple goes full Touch ID.

I expect the 's' series to have a 4.3"-4.7" screens, while the 'c' series stick with 4" screens.

Of course, my predictions could be total bullshit, too.

• Reply 39 of 80
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

High End iPhone 6 Pro or Air or whatever they call it with a 5.5" screen

Midrange iPhone 6 with 4.7"

Low-end iPhone 6c with 4" that is the 5s reborn

Deal with it especially since all the latest rumors support what I have been saying for months and none support your theory. 

You're very wrong here.  They aren't going to take the 5s- keep it the same size, internals, and everything- add a plastic caseand change the name to a 6c- TS is right- you're completely insane.  Moreover- what do you do next year?  Call the "midrange" and "high end" 6 the 6C again?  Or does it get to be called the "6CC"?  See the lunacy in your thinking?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The 5c will be killed. Point blank. Apple has nothing to gain by keeping that product which was not a good seller and lacks TouchID in the lineup.

Why would Apple all of a sudden tthis year change what theyve done every year since the 4?  They've never dropped a 2 year old model from their lineup- that becomes the "free" $450 phone- that'll be the 5C.  The 5S will either stay in it's current form or become the 5SC and will have a plastic shell.  You think Apple didn't want everyone to buy a retina iPhone 4 or 4S?  Yet they kept the 3GS around with it's rageddy ole' sd display.  You think Apple didn't want everyone to get a 4" phone?  Yet they kept that ole' rageddy 4 and 4S around with their sad 3.5" displays.  You think Apple didn't want everyone on 64 bit?  etc etc etc

But Touch ID- now that's the game changer that will change everything they've ever done.  Not screen size, not retina, not 64 bit- but touch ID.

Even though I think you're wrong- dead wrong, in fact- if I agree with you, will you not post about the name until release day?  I don't know if I can stand reading an iPhone thread with you littering every single one of them up about the name.

• Reply 40 of 80
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    iphone air and iphone pro.