"The forums will NOT go down during the keynote"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>

Unless i missed something i don't think there is a GC or SA (SV) available on the new AI....

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You missed something.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    tmatma Posts: 76member
    [quote] That was due to a full-blown denial of service attack on the ISP that also denied our server access for 2-3 hours. It was unrelated to server loads, which have never been higher than around 5%. <hr></blockquote>

Oh ok, fair enough then.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Im confused AND suspicious. I cant access any frontpages, but have been told how to access the forums when the supposed DOS is happening. Surely if there really was a DOS, I couldn't access any pages off your server. But now I can access the forums at full speed no problems at all. But the frontpage's are dead both MacNN and AI.

SOMETHING SMELLS SUSPICIOUS. Have you pulled the frontpages to stop a load of casual traffic and passing it off as DOS? thus fullfilling your claim that the boards will not go down. SHAME SHAME
  • Reply 24 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Let's just assume that the server can handle it. I doubt it, but just for the sake of argument.

It's going to be utter chaos in here. If you're staying open I think a good idea might be to have a temporary moratorium on NEW THREADS. Say, 24-36 hours where only mods (or people with more than 390 posts) can start new threads. Any registered member can reply.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd better get posting then!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>SOMETHING SMELLS SUSPICIOUS. Have you pulled the frontpages to stop a load of casual traffic and passing it off as DOS? thus fullfilling your claim that the boards will not go down. SHAME SHAME</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who says that the frontpages and the forums are on the same server?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Who says that the frontpages and the forums are on the same server?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does it matter, if you pull the frontpage then alot of people are denied access.

BTW. When AI came back Im 99% sure that it was said that AI/MacNN and all the forums were running off the same server, a dual 1GHZ P3

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 32
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    The AI and MacNN forums are on the same sever, frontpages on different servers.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>

Does it matter, if you pull the frontpage then alot of people are denied access.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah, 99.9% of the people in here know the correct URL.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 32
    jaydogjaydog Posts: 63member
    The forum wont go down if any thing the dam stupid isp will go down.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    jaydogjaydog Posts: 63member
    o ya if the forum is made so no posts can happen we can go to

hotline://macworldhl.fimble.com or

carracho://macworldcarracho.fimble.com

if there isp goes down irc goes down. heh